+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I extend my PGWP or wait until I apply for PR?

bonus

Apr 25, 2013
My PGWP will expire on September 2014. I can still extend it for one more year, since CIC gave me 2 years because of my previous passport. I plan to apply for PR through CEC, but I still need to do the IELTS, probably in 2 weeks or next month because I just sent the application. Should I extend my PGWP now? or should I focus on PR application first. I plant to apply for it through a lawyer.

bonus

Apr 25, 2013
my work contract just ended. If I apply for another job, might the PGWP be an issue? I dont know even know if I should focus on job hunting or immigration. This stress is killing me

gladaki

Champion Member
Jul 15, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2013
AOR Received.
30-12-2013
IELTS Request
submitted with application
Med's Done....
Upfront on 29th April..Updated on Ecas on 26th May
Passport Req..
11-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
17-07-2014
LANDED..........
20-07-2014
bonus said:
my work contract just ended. If I apply for another job, might the PGWP be an issue? I dont know even know if I should focus on job hunting or immigration. This stress is killing me
I dont why you see connection between PGWP and CEC PR application. you can do both at the same time. If i were you I will apply for PGWP and Apply for PR if I am eligible. And applying through lawyer or ur self is your own choice..

umairq00

Star Member
Sep 13, 2013
Please note that the PGWP is a one time opportunity and it cannot be renewed. Please check the last point under the following quote from the CIC website:

You are not eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program if you:

. study in a program that is less than eight months long
. participate in a Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship Program funded by the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade (DFAIT)
. participate in a Government of Canada Awards Program funded by DFAIT
. receive funding from the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA).
. participate in the Equal Opportunity Scholarship, Canada-Chile
. participate in the Canada-China Scholars Exchanges Program
. participate in the Organization of American States Fellowships Program
. participate in a distance learning program either from abroad or from within Canada or
. have previously been issued a Post-Graduation Work Permit following any other program of study.
CIC web link:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad-who.asp

bonus, if you have a one year full-time Canadian work experience, you can apply under the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) stream. Check details under:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/index.asp

Your second option is to use the Opportunities Ontario-PNP stream under the category that applies to you:

http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/pnp/OI_PNPSTUDENTS_APPLY.html

Also, PGWP is an open work permit. So you can work for any employer - this won't be an issue.

Good luck!