TBD
Passport Req..
21-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
TBD
LANDED..........
TBD
Hi Folks,

Reading a lot of the info on this thread, there is no recent info available and looks like it varies case to case basis but i would still like your expert info and thoughts on this. Of course a lot of you are more closely monitoring this and your help and suggestions are greatly valued.

I have my landing done on May 14th 2013 but i have been in Canada since Nov 04th 2009. The Immigration took longer than usual due to Buffalo shutting down. Now that the law is changing (no one knows when exactly) should i apply once i complete my basic requirements by May 14th 2015 and not wait for my physical presence (currently Oct 7th 2015 if i don't travel).

Does any one has any idea how long it takes the file to go to a Judge and what are the possible outcomes for it. My travel has been for 73 days due to work and personal trips broken down to 7 trips for 73 days total. This shows that i wasn't outside Canada for longer times and i have purchased a house in Canada and i have my relatives all across (not first blood).

If i remember it correctly i read it somewhere that the new law comes into effect on June 19th 2015 and if it does all my days prior to landing will be null and void and i will be eligible sometime in 2016.

Your valued input please.

Regards

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your days in Canada before you landed count as 1/2 days. So, go to the Residence Calculator and indicate that you arrived in Canada on 4 November 2009, landed on 14 May 2013, and will be applying on (say) 15 May 2015. Enter your absences between 15 May 2011 and 15 May 2015 and see whether you have enough days.

There is no use applying without 1,095 days of physical presence.

Update: Just did the calculation and, as you say, you won't qualify until October 2015, by which time the new rules will presumably have taken effect.

dumdumhogayamein

Champion Member
Oct 6, 2012
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Mississauga - Sponsorship / IRCC Delhi - Spousal Immigration
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-07-2016
AOR Received.
AOR 1: 10-08-2016; AOR 2: 31-08-2016
File Transfer...
09-10-2016
Med's Request
Pre-Medical
Med's Done....
01-06-2016
Interview........
TBD
Passport Req..
21-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
TBD
LANDED..........
TBD
Thanks alphazip, i did run the numbers on the calculator and here is what i get

"You do not meet the basic residence requirement, nor have you been physically present in Canada for at least 1,095 days.

According to the information you provided and assuming nothing else changes, you will meet the basic residence requirement on 2015-05-14
, and you will accumulate 1,095 days of physical presence on 2015-10-07."

Why do you say there is no use of applying without physical presence, isn't there a policy/ruling which you can still apply and wait for a judge for the decision?

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
If you are short of basic as well as physical presence then you would get a Residence Questionnaire and then you have to go to the Judge and then without a solid reason for being short of phsyical presence, your application may be denied. This would be very very lenghtly and will take years and outcome = 0.

This is what the forum members have experienced on this forum.

Just wait and apply when you qualify. If you qualify under 3/4 rule apply after you qualify and if you qualify after the rule 4/6 then apply. Better wait rather than sorrow.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well, if he waits until May (which is still probably before the new rules take effect) he will meet the basic residence requirement, but not 1,095 days of physical presence.

As coolguy says, your application will be tied up for years, and we just don't think the results will be positive. However, yes, you certainly have the option of applying now and seeing a judge, who will make the final determination.

wilbur

Star Member
Aug 5, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-04-2011
Doc's Request.
Sent with app
AOR Received.
02-06-2011
IELTS Request
Sent with app
File Transfer...
19-07-2011
Med's Request
02-09-2011
Med's Done....
03-09-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
23-09-2011
VISA ISSUED...
28-09-2011
LANDED..........
15-10-2011
Just wait until you have enough days, don't waste your time before that. If you have to wait, you have to wait, be patient...

dumdumhogayamein

Champion Member
Oct 6, 2012
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Mississauga - Sponsorship / IRCC Delhi - Spousal Immigration
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-07-2016
AOR Received.
AOR 1: 10-08-2016; AOR 2: 31-08-2016
File Transfer...
09-10-2016
Med's Request
Pre-Medical
Med's Done....
01-06-2016
Interview........
TBD
Passport Req..
21-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
TBD
LANDED..........
TBD
Thanks Wilbur, Alphazip and Thecoolguysam

Thanks for your input and suggestions. Though you tell me not to approach and apply when i complete my basic requirements, i still don't follow as to why. If the rule clearly says that i am eligible to apply then why shouldn't i apply. I have been in Canada since Nov of 2009 and i have been working ever since in a the tech industry here. I have ties to this country where i have decided to settle down, bought a house, invested in RRSPs and stock market heavily. I can prove all that plus the fact that if the govt decides to changes the ruling on this then i will be eligible sometime in Oct 2016 (looking at the current stats).

Now if i apply now in May and wait for the judge (hopefully sooner than later) it will be based on this ruling/interpretation and understanding of the law and my case file. He wouldn't REJECT the case, he will ask me to wait till the time is completed. Is my understand correct about the judge? Or is there a very serious consequence to this path which i am planning on taking?

You folks have asked me not to apply and wait, i respect that but what's your fear?

Is it the delay time? (In my case its going to be Oct 2016 any way)
Lost paper work and files?
Outcome going bad? (Its gonna be YAY or come back when u complete physical presence, i dont see it going NAY) and even if its NAY then its a valid reason right, not a stupid one that i am missing a chunk of days or no ties to canada and a possible runner once i get my passport
Loss of time, i already have lost time (31 months to Immigration cycle) i can wait now.

My only thoughts are once i submit my file, i am free to travel on work and tourism and will not have to worry about vacation and days missing from the Citizenship file. Correct me please?

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
dumdumhogayamein said:

Thanks for your input and suggestions. Though you tell me not to approach and apply when i complete my basic requirements, i still don't follow as to why. If the rule clearly says that i am eligible to apply then why shouldn't i apply. I have been in Canada since Nov of 2009 and i have been working ever since in a the tech industry here. I have ties to this country where i have decided to settle down, bought a house, invested in RRSPs and stock market heavily. I can prove all that plus the fact that if the govt decides to changes the ruling on this then i will be eligible sometime in Oct 2016 (looking at the current stats).

Now if i apply now in May and wait for the judge (hopefully sooner than later) it will be based on this ruling/interpretation and understanding of the law and my case file. He wouldn't REJECT the case, he will ask me to wait till the time is completed. Is my understand correct about the judge? Or is there a very serious consequence to this path which i am planning on taking?

You folks have asked me not to apply and wait, i respect that but what's your fear?

Outcome going bad? (Its gonna be YAY or come back when u complete physical presence, i dont see it going NAY) and even if its NAY then its a valid reason right, not a stupid one that i am missing a chunk of days or no ties to canada and a possible runner once i get my passport
Loss of time, i already have lost time (31 months to Immigration cycle) i can wait now.

My only thoughts are once i submit my file, i am free to travel on work and tourism and will not have to worry about vacation and days missing from the Citizenship file. Correct me please?
Please remember, as per 3/4 rule you have to show 1095 days of minimum basic and physical presence. If you can't show then your application would be in trouble. It is the basic requirement.

If you apply short of 1095 basic or 1095 physical or both then most likely judge won't approve it unless you have to state a solid reason for not covering the 1095 basic and physical requirements.

When the new 4/6 rule applies, you have to adhere to that rule's basic and physical requirement.

Please read the following link for answer to your other question:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=911&t=5

eltorpe

Star Member
Jan 6, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dumdumhogayamein said:

Here is an interesting post you might enjoy reading. See dpenabill's reply:

https://secure.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=18219&title=approved-desipte-being-2-days-short-of-1095-days

Juney

Star Member
Dec 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dumdumhogayamein said:
Thanks alphazip, i did run the numbers on the calculator and here is what i get

"You do not meet the basic residence requirement, nor have you been physically present in Canada for at least 1,095 days.

According to the information you provided and assuming nothing else changes, you will meet the basic residence requirement on 2015-05-14
, and you will accumulate 1,095 days of physical presence on 2015-10-07."

Why do you say there is no use of applying without physical presence, isn't there a policy/ruling which you can still apply and wait for a judge for the decision?
Obviously you still will not accumulate the 1095 days, if you are contemplating in applying this May. With the Residence Calculation alone, you yourself know that you do not qualify with the basic physical presence. So as what eltorpe has shared on this thread, the case was just a miscalculation of mere 2 days. Which was an honest mistake and in good faith. While in your case, obviously it's the opposite scenario.If we will to consider ties to this country,like property acquisition, investments...etc, then CIC will make reforms to have these ties as sufficient grounds/requirement for Citizenship approval. The Wealthy, Intellectual and Skilled individuals, who can have high-paying jobs and can afford these acquisitions and investment will clearly have advantage. As what other people say, besides having the Passport, what will be the difference anyway with our life as a PR and a Citizen in the country. I guess all of us here who became Citizens, have paid our dues waiting for the exact time to fill in our application. So why not be patient.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
dumdumhogayamein said:
Though you tell me not to approach and apply when i complete my basic requirements, i still don't follow as to why. If the rule clearly says that i am eligible to apply then why shouldn't i apply.
The suggestions and observations above are largely on point: probably a waste of time and money to apply with a substantial shortfall (less than 1095 days of actual physical presence) and relying on credit for time in Canada prior to landing.

Yes, you are eligible but it is most likely (by a significantly high margin) that CIC will not approve the application and that a Citizenship Judge will determine you are not qualified. In the current version of section 5(1) in the Citizenship Act, not all eligible applicants are qualified for a grant of citizenship. The new law will do away with this distinction.

Thus, the reason "why" not apply is a practical one: because the odds are so high you will not be granted citizenship, but rather will have wasted your money and your time, and will have to apply again sometime after you become qualified under the Act as revised by Bill C-24, that is no sooner than the fourth year anniversary of the date you landed.

I would further note that this is probably the consensus for any significant shortfall case. But it is especially applicable to a PR who has a shortfall and who is relying on credit for time in Canada prior to landing.

There continue to be sporadic reports of some shortfall applicants being approved and granted citizenship, but the indications from all directions (anecdotal reports and official Federal Court decisions in particular) are that the availability of a qualitative test (rather than the strict physical presence test) is limited to exceptional cases. This appears to eliminate all but those with a minimal shortfall (just days, not weeks let alone months).

But for an applicant with a shortfall plus relying on credit for pre-landing presence in Canada, the odds of success are remote.

Overall:

To be clear: the current version of section 5(1) in the Citizenship Act makes a PR eligible for a grant of citizenship in circumstances which do not necessarily make the PR qualified for citizenship. Meeting the basic residence requirement makes a PR eligible for citizenship, but to be qualified for the grant of citizenship, the PR must also meet the requirement to be resident-in-Canada for three years.

(Revised version to take effect some time this year, almost certainly well before October, will eliminate this distinction; that is, there will be no difference between being eligible and being qualified.)

A PR acquires basic residence time regardless of where the PR resides.

A PR only acquires credit for time resident-in-Canada while actually residing in Canada.

Moreover, the standard test, the most often applied test, for determining credit for time resident-in-Canada, is based on days actually physically present in Canada.

To succeed in a shortfall case, the CJ must be persuaded to not apply the days physically present test, and instead apply a qualitative test which will allow the CJ to conclude that the applicant was resident-in-Canada on days the applicant was physically outside Canada.

Most indications are that CIC will overtly oppose the grant of citizenship to an applicant with a shortfall case . . . with perhaps some rare exceptions in unusual cases.

An illustrative case:

For an applicant with a shortfall, and relying on pre-landing credit, there are virtually no reports of success. There is, however, one reported case (Bani-Ahmad) in which an applicant was approved by the Citizenship Judge, but the Minister's appeal was granted. I do not know the outcome when the case was re-determined by a different Citizenship Judge.

The facts of that case are worth some attention:
-- 1088 days of actual physical presence (shortfall 7 days)
-- living/residing in Canada for nearly ten years total prior to applying for citizenship (in Canada since 1999; became PR October 2006; applied July 2009)
-- immediate family lives in Canada; three children born in Canada
-- has extended family (mother and six siblings) well established residents in Canada
-- owner of home in Canada where he lives
-- owner of a restaurant in Toronto
-- restaurant is the only source of family income

As shortfall cases go, seven days short is a rather minimal shortfall.

There is no attention given, in the decision, to the fact that this applicant was relying on credit for time present in Canada prior to becoming a PR (obvious however because application was less than three years after landing), but why CIC went to the effort to appeal this decision is not revealed either.

CIC's argument, CIC's case, is largely based on a technicality, the failure (alleged failure I would say) of the Citizenship Judge to clearly articulate that a qualitative test was used to determine residency. I totally disagree with the Federal Court justice in this case, Justice LeBlanc, who agreed with CIC that it was "not possible to infer from [the CJ's] reasons which test he may have applied."

To be clear, I will be blunt: that is malarkey.

Justice LeBlanc stated: "This is a clear case of a decision lacking in clarity, transparency and intelligibility."

Again, I will be blunt: that is malarkey.

It is clear the CJ applied a qualitative test and specifically cited the facts which established the applicant had centralized his life in Canada for more than three years in the relevant four, and did so specifically acknowledging the shortfall in actual presence (1088 days, thus short of 1095 by a week). The CJ obviously gave significant weight to how close to the 1095 day threshold the applicant came, and based on the extent to which the applicant was settled in Canada, had a life centralized in Canada, that was sufficient to show the applicant met the residency requirement.

CIC's characterization, adopted by Justice LeBlanc, is a blatantly tortured parsing of the CJ's words.

Indeed, Justice LeBlanc states: " . . . it is impossible for this Court to understand why and how the Citizenship judge reached his conclusion and to determine whether that conclusion falls within the range of possible outcomes."

Again, malarkey.

It is possible that a different CJ will also apply a qualitative test, be more articulate about it (all that needs to be added to reasons is the phrase "based on the criteria in Koo . . ."), and also approve this individual. But it appears that most CJs are now strictly applying the actual physical presence test, and if that is the test applied this applicant will be denied and have to apply again . . . well over more than five years since making his first application.

Even if a different CJ decides to likewise apply a qualitative test, the question remains as to why CIC was opposed to this individual getting citizenship. (CIC did make an alternative argument as to the CJ's conclusions about the applicant's ties to Canada, claiming the CJ's conclusions were not supported by the evidence.)

I often caution that it is a mistake to read too much into particular case. And there are often elements lurking beneath the surface which, if known, would explain a lot. Credibility, for example, is often an issue which has much influence but is not overtly addressed . . . CIC simply does not believe the applicant, so goes after technical grounds to make a case opposing the grant of citizenship.

But I think this case is highly illustrative of the position that CIC has increasingly taken since the Conservatives have formed the government (going back many years now . . . I forget, has it been eight years?) and been dictating policy: an increasingly strong emphasis on applying the strict physical presence test, and in the last couple years vociferously opposing the grant of citizenship otherwise if there is an arguable basis for doing so.

Conclusion:

Odds are not good (may be an understatement) for any shortfall case.

Odds are far worse, approaching virtually no chance for any substantial shortfall case (more than thirty days).

Odds are far worse for any shortfall case in which the applicant is relying on credit for time in Canada prior to landing (prior to becoming a PR), particularly for any substantial shortall.

Of course this is largely an opinion. I believe, however, this is a well-informed opinion.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
dpenabill said:
The suggestions and observations above are largely on point: probably a waste of time and money to apply with a substantial shortfall (less than 1095 days of actual physical presence) and relying on credit for time in Canada prior to landing.

Yes, you are eligible but it is most likely (by a significantly high margin) that CIC will not approve the application and that a Citizenship Judge will determine you are not qualified. In the current version of section 5(1) in the Citizenship Act, not all eligible applicants are qualified for a grant of citizenship. The new law will do away with this distinction.

Thus, the reason "why" not apply is a practical one: because the odds are so high you will not be granted citizenship, but rather will have wasted your money and your time, and will have to apply again sometime after you become qualified under the Act as revised by Bill C-24, that is no sooner than the fourth year anniversary of the date you landed.

I would further note that this is probably the consensus for any significant shortfall case. But it is especially applicable to a PR who has a shortfall and who is relying on credit for time in Canada prior to landing.

There continue to be sporadic reports of some shortfall applicants being approved and granted citizenship, but the indications from all directions (anecdotal reports and official Federal Court decisions in particular) are that the availability of a qualitative test (rather than the strict physical presence test) is limited to exceptional cases. This appears to eliminate all but those with a minimal shortfall (just days, not weeks let alone months).

But for an applicant with a shortfall plus relying on credit for pre-landing presence in Canada, the odds of success are remote.

Overall:

To be clear: the current version of section 5(1) in the Citizenship Act makes a PR eligible for a grant of citizenship in circumstances which do not necessarily make the PR qualified for citizenship. Meeting the basic residence requirement makes a PR eligible for citizenship, but to be qualified for the grant of citizenship, the PR must also meet the requirement to be resident-in-Canada for three years.

(Revised version to take effect some time this year, almost certainly well before October, will eliminate this distinction; that is, there will be no difference between being eligible and being qualified.)

A PR acquires basic residence time regardless of where the PR resides.

A PR only acquires credit for time resident-in-Canada while actually residing in Canada.

Moreover, the standard test, the most often applied test, for determining credit for time resident-in-Canada, is based on days actually physically present in Canada.

To succeed in a shortfall case, the CJ must be persuaded to not apply the days physically present test, and instead apply a qualitative test which will allow the CJ to conclude that the applicant was resident-in-Canada on days the applicant was physically outside Canada.

Most indications are that CIC will overtly oppose the grant of citizenship to an applicant with a shortfall case . . . with perhaps some rare exceptions in unusual cases.

An illustrative case:

For an applicant with a shortfall, and relying on pre-landing credit, there are virtually no reports of success. There is, however, one reported case (Bani-Ahmad) in which an applicant was approved by the Citizenship Judge, but the Minister's appeal was granted. I do not know the outcome when the case was re-determined by a different Citizenship Judge.

The facts of that case are worth some attention:
-- 1088 days of actual physical presence (shortfall 7 days)
-- living/residing in Canada for nearly ten years total prior to applying for citizenship (in Canada since 1999; became PR October 2006; applied July 2009)
-- immediate family lives in Canada; three children born in Canada
-- has extended family (mother and six siblings) well established residents in Canada
-- owner of home in Canada where he lives
-- owner of a restaurant in Toronto
-- restaurant is the only source of family income

As shortfall cases go, seven days short is a rather minimal shortfall.

There is no attention given, in the decision, to the fact that this applicant was relying on credit for time present in Canada prior to becoming a PR (obvious however because application was less than three years after landing), but why CIC went to the effort to appeal this decision is not revealed either.

CIC's argument, CIC's case, is largely based on a technicality, the failure (alleged failure I would say) of the Citizenship Judge to clearly articulate that a qualitative test was used to determine residency. I totally disagree with the Federal Court justice in this case, Justice LeBlanc, who agreed with CIC that it was "not possible to infer from [the CJ's] reasons which test he may have applied."

To be clear, I will be blunt: that is malarkey.

Justice LeBlanc stated: "This is a clear case of a decision lacking in clarity, transparency and intelligibility."

Again, I will be blunt: that is malarkey.

It is clear the CJ applied a qualitative test and specifically cited the facts which established the applicant had centralized his life in Canada for more than three years in the relevant four, and did so specifically acknowledging the shortfall in actual presence (1088 days, thus short of 1095 by a week). The CJ obviously gave significant weight to how close to the 1095 day threshold the applicant came, and based on the extent to which the applicant was settled in Canada, had a life centralized in Canada, that was sufficient to show the applicant met the residency requirement.

CIC's characterization, adopted by Justice LeBlanc, is a blatantly tortured parsing of the CJ's words.

Indeed, Justice LeBlanc states: " . . . it is impossible for this Court to understand why and how the Citizenship judge reached his conclusion and to determine whether that conclusion falls within the range of possible outcomes."

Again, malarkey.

It is possible that a different CJ will also apply a qualitative test, be more articulate about it (all that needs to be added to reasons is the phrase "based on the criteria in Koo . . ."), and also approve this individual. But it appears that most CJs are now strictly applying the actual physical presence test, and if that is the test applied this applicant will be denied and have to apply again . . . well over more than five years since making his first application.

Even if a different CJ decides to likewise apply a qualitative test, the question remains as to why CIC was opposed to this individual getting citizenship. (CIC did make an alternative argument as to the CJ's conclusions about the applicant's ties to Canada, claiming the CJ's conclusions were not supported by the evidence.)

I often caution that it is a mistake to read too much into particular case. And there are often elements lurking beneath the surface which, if known, would explain a lot. Credibility, for example, is often an issue which has much influence but is not overtly addressed . . . CIC simply does not believe the applicant, so goes after technical grounds to make a case opposing the grant of citizenship.

But I think this case is highly illustrative of the position that CIC has increasingly taken since the Conservatives have formed the government (going back many years now . . . I forget, has it been eight years?) and been dictating policy: an increasingly strong emphasis on applying the strict physical presence test, and in the last couple years vociferously opposing the grant of citizenship otherwise if there is an arguable basis for doing so.

Conclusion:

Odds are not good (may be an understatement) for any shortfall case.

Odds are far worse, approaching virtually no chance for any substantial shortfall case (more than thirty days).

Odds are far worse for any shortfall case in which the applicant is relying on credit for time in Canada prior to landing (prior to becoming a PR), particularly for any substantial shortall.

Of course this is largely an opinion. I believe, however, this is a well-informed opinion.
As much as you disagree with Justice Leblanc's decision / conclusion as malarkey, making a decision based on ties to Canada on basic residence requirement alone is purely subjective. Different CJ / CIC agent's can return a different decision if each one took a stab on deciding the same scenario, thus not consistent.

Where as the count of physical Presence In Canada is objective based on actual facts/proofs of evidence. This would give each applicant an consistence answer of yes or no. No in between. Again objective approach and fair.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
screech339 said:
As much as you disagree with Justice Leblanc's decision / conclusion as malarkey, making a decision based on ties to Canada on basic residence requirement alone is purely subjective. Different CJ / CIC agent's can return a different decision if each one took a stab on deciding the same scenario, thus not consistent.

Where as the count of physical Presence In Canada is objective based on actual facts/proofs of evidence. This would give each applicant an consistence answer of yes or no. No in between. Again objective approach and fair.
I think you misunderstand what I said is malarkey: it is the Court's characterization of the CJ's decision which is (lots of epithets come to mind); in particular, Justice LeBlanc stated:

". . . it is impossible to identify which test was used, it is impossible for this Court to understand why and how the Citizenship judge reached his conclusion and to determine whether that conclusion falls within the range of possible outcomes."

On the contrary, it is not merely possible to identify that the CJ used a qualitative test, it is clear the CJ applied such a test, and it is clear why and how the CJ reached his conclusion (see facts from the CJ's opinion referenced in previous post).

As you observe, a decision based on ties to Canada is subjective (it is not "purely" subjective, as it must be based on actual facts and reasonable criteria), and different judges can reach differing conclusions relative to the same scenario. BUT the current law allows this. Justice LeBlanc affirms that in this decision, as have many other Federal Court justices in the last year, recognizing this has been the law for over three decades.

There was good reason for Parliament to revise the residency requirement to impose a strict physical presence test. This was a reform way, way overdue. (The courts have been begging Parliament to do this for more than three decades.)

And the new law will indeed provide PRs with a clear and consistent way to decide when they are eligible for citizenship.

BUT that is NOT the current law. The current law still allows a Citizenship Judge to approve the grant of citizenship to an applicant who does not meet the 1095 days of actual presence test if the CJ properly applies one of the qualitative tests.

But it is clear that CIC now adamantly opposes this in all but exceptional cases. And the Federal Court appears to be willing to back CIC in this even when a CJ applies a qualitative test . . . unless the CJ is meticulous in how the decision is stated.

As I emphasized and repeated, what this case well illustrates is just how much of a long shot a shortfall case is now. And that was the point, after all, the point being the extent to which CIC and the Federal Court went to justify overruling the Citizenship Judge in order to deny citizenship to a person who had been living in Canada for ten years prior to applying for citizenship, who had a shortfall of merely one week, and whose life was clearly centralized in Canada.

The point was to answer dumdumhogayamein's question why others above were saying to avoid applying upon completing the basic residence requirement. To say that there is good reason why participants here are saying to avoid making a shortfall application now . . . even though the current law allows for the grant of citizenship to such applicants.

mazmax

Apr 20, 2013
Hi Guys,
I have Done a lot of reading and now I want to get some expert opinions,
All comment are welcome, I will be glad if “thecoolguysam” looks into it too

Here is the scenario for my Mom’s Citizen application,

Arrival date : May 19, 2009
PR statue on : June 14, 2012
Absences from Canada : Sept 25, 2012 till Dec 28, 2012 (94 Days)
I Want to sign her Citizen Application on : Feb 16, 2015

I have run the residency calculation and got this answer ;

According to the information you provided, you meet the residence requirement.
Basic residence (days): 1219
Physical presence (days): 1125

Please let me know if I have calculated correctly, if, yes, then shell I go ahead and submit on Feb 16, 2015

Thanks

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
mazmax said:
Hi Guys,
I have Done a lot of reading and now I want to get some expert opinions,
All comment are welcome, I will be glad if “thecoolguysam” looks into it too

Here is the scenario for my Mom's Citizen application,

Arrival date : May 19, 2009
PR statue on : June 14, 2012
Absences from Canada : Sept 25, 2012 till Dec 28, 2012 (94 Days)
I Want to sign her Citizen Application on : Feb 16, 2015

I have run the residency calculation and got this answer ;

According to the information you provided, you meet the residence requirement.
Basic residence (days): 1219
Physical presence (days): 1125

Please let me know if I have calculated correctly, if, yes, then shell I go ahead and submit on Feb 16, 2015

Thanks
Yes, you have calculated properly. I would suggest you to give atleast 2-4 weeks of buffer to be safe, so submit between 1st March to 15th March.

I have a question though: From May 19, 2009 to June 14th 2012, what was the status of your mother in Canada, did she leave Canada between May 19, 2009 to till date except what you have mentioned:Sept 25, 2012 till Dec 28, 2012