+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I apply for PR renewal now or wait

Shirley_vic

Jan 10, 2013
Hi there ,my pr card will expire soon. And I stayed inside Canada about 300 days in five years cause i need to take care of my father who is seriously sick.but my wife became citizen since 2013 Feb.my question is should I apply renewal now for humanitarianism reason, or wait until my wife accompany me days add up more than 730 days?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
a) Are you currently out of Canada?
b) When were the 300 days accumulated?
c) Where is your wife since she became a citizen?
d) Why do you need your PR card renewing (apart from the obvious fact that it will expire soon)?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Shirley_vic said:
Hi there ,my pr card will expire soon. And I stayed inside Canada about 300 days in five years cause i need to take care of my father who is seriously sick.but my wife became citizen since 2013 Feb.my question is should I apply renewal now for humanitarianism reason, or wait until my wife accompany me days add up more than 730 days?
Hi

Know that your PR card doesn't equal PR status. Even if your card expires, you are still a PR. You just need to maintain the residency requirement for when you go to renew it. If you live with your wife for another 10 years outside Canada with your expired card, you will still be a PR and will still meet the residency requirement (unless they change the rules in there sometime ;))

It is better to wait until you meet the residency requirement again by being with your wife than to try H&C grounds, as H&C is always risky. Keep in mind that you will need to have definitive proof that you were with her while you were living abroad. You can use a combination of days in Canada and days with your wife abroad, as long as they are in the 5 years immediately preceding your renewal app.

Once you want to apply for a renewal, you will need to travel back to Canada, as it can't be done from outside Canada. If you aren't visa-exempt, you will need to apply for a PR Travel Document.

Shirley_vic

Jan 10, 2013
Thanks Canuck_in_uk,I think I will follow your suggestion.another question is,what will be the proof that I am with my wife while we are living abroad? I think I could show them the passport page we departure and arrive on same date,and anything else?
canuck_in_uk said:
Hi

Know that your PR card doesn't equal PR status. Even if your card expires, you are still a PR. You just need to maintain the residency requirement for when you go to renew it. If you live with your wife for another 10 years outside Canada with your expired card, you will still be a PR and will still meet the residency requirement (unless they change the rules in there sometime ;))

It is better to wait until you meet the residency requirement again by being with your wife than to try H&C grounds, as H&C is always risky. Keep in mind that you will need to have definitive proof that you were with her while you were living abroad. You can use a combination of days in Canada and days with your wife abroad, as long as they are in the 5 years immediately preceding your renewal app.

Once you want to apply for a renewal, you will need to travel back to Canada, as it can't be done from outside Canada. If you aren't visa-exempt, you will need to apply for a PR Travel Document.

Shirley_vic

Jan 10, 2013
zardoz said:
a) Are you currently out of Canada?
b) When were the 300 days accumulated?
c) Where is your wife since she became a citizen?
d) Why do you need your PR card renewing (apart from the obvious fact that it will expire soon)?
Zardoz,
a), yes ,now i am in Canada ,will stay 2 months.
b),around 300days,include the days I live in Canada and the days my wife stay with me since 2013Feb.
c),she went to our motherland with me since she became a citizen.
d),I was thinking since I could definitely fufil the residential obligation cause I am with my wife abroad.and the fact i need to take care of my dad,probably the CIC will give me a chance.
Please advise.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is possible that CIC will let you renew your PR card based on your situation with your father but why take that chance? You just need your wife to continue living with you in your home country and you will soon meet the residency requirements again and immigration will not know that there was ever a time that you did not meet them.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Shirley_vic said:
Thanks Canuck_in_uk,I think I will follow your suggestion.another question is,what will be the proof that I am with my wife while we are living abroad? I think I could show them the passport page we departure and arrive on same date,and anything else?
You'll need to be able to prove that you were living together, not just arriving and leaving from the same country on the same day. So joint bank account statements, mail to both of you at the address, utilities in both of your names, photos throughout the time etc. Some countries require people to register at their address, that can be used. Both names on a car registration or car insurance documents is also a good one. Basically, anything that shows you were living together is good; the more evidence, the better.

Waiting until you meet the residency requirement again by living abroad with your wife is definitely the best way for you to do it; it is simply not worth the risk to try H&C grounds when you don't have to.

Shirley_vic

Jan 10, 2013
canuck_in_uk said:
You'll need to be able to prove that you were living together, not just arriving and leaving from the same country on the same day. So joint bank account statements, mail to both of you at the address, utilities in both of your names, photos throughout the time etc. Some countries require people to register at their address, that can be used. Both names on a car registration or car insurance documents is also a good one. Basically, anything that shows you were living together is good; the more evidence, the better.

Waiting until you meet the residency requirement again by living abroad with your wife is definitely the best way for you to do it; it is simply not worth the risk to try H&C grounds when you don't have to.
Thanks a billion!