+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Shipping by sea or air?

ll82

Star Member
Jul 28, 2015
Hi,

We are going to moving to Canada in a few months have a few boxes we want to ship over. I know about the list of belonging that will be coming after us, that we need to show to the border officer when we land.

My question: Is it better to ship by air or sea?

I called UPS and they said that they wont ship it by air because Canada customs wont accept it? Can this be true?
We are shipping maybe 2-3 20kg boxes.

Can anyone please share their experience shipping their belongings by air? Did it go okay?

Thanks,

jairichi

Champion Member
Jan 21, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ll82 said:
Hi,

We are going to moving to Canada in a few months have a few boxes we want to ship over. I know about the list of belonging that will be coming after us, that we need to show to the border officer when we land.

I called UPS and they said that they wont ship it by air because Canada customs wont accept it? Can this be true?
We are shipping maybe 2-3 20kg boxes.

Can anyone please share their experience shipping their belongings by air? Did it go okay?

Thanks,
There are so many shipping companies. Do a google search and they provide shipping by air and sea option. Shipping by air is expensive than by sea but is quick.

ll82

Star Member
Jul 28, 2015
my question was more about if shipping by air, would customs accept such large packages?

UPS said they dont ship packages that large by air for the reason that they wont accept it at customs.

jairichi

Champion Member
Jan 21, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ll82 said:
my question was more about if shipping by air, would customs accept such large packages?

UPS said they dont ship packages that large by air for the reason that they wont accept it at customs.
The above was your question. To know about Canada customs you need to check their website. Normally no customs will have any trouble if you ship by sea or air.

Taxed

Jul 9, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-2015
Doc's Request.
11-2015
AOR Received.
04-2015
Med's Request
11-2015
Med's Done....
11-2015
Interview........
9-2016 ARC Approved.: 9-2016 CSQ Issued.....: 2-2017 Re-Med's Request...: 4-2017 Re-Med's Done : 4-2017
Passport Req..
04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
04-2017
LANDED..........
05-2017
If its only 2 or 3 boxes of 20 kilos, you better take it with you on the plane and pay approximately 100$ per box.

Ottawa-applicant

Apr 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I know a friend of mine landed as PR and she brought almost 8 suit cases with her and her family, approx. 3 bags per person. I think you should be fine by air as long as you declare everything and fill the forms. On the other hand, it’s definitely cheaper to ship by Sea (if you moving your whole house belongings) but then you will have to go through shipping company; you can check Ship Buddy (http://www.shipbuddy.ca/) they based in Ottawa Ontario.

Good luck