+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

share your views on laptop and digital camera.

ad singh

May 23, 2011
Visa Office......
CHC CHD
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
31 March 2015
Nomination.....
15 March 2016
AOR Received.
18 April 2016
IELTS Request
8 BANDS
Med's Request
1 November 2016
Med's Done....
10 November 2016
Passport Req..
27-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
28-03-2018
hi,

Many of us will be buying laptop for our study abroad . Please share your views on laptop you plan to buy.

and what about digital camera.. are digital cameras available at reasonable price in our native country or canada.. ? which one you plan to buy and when .. ?

draxz1289

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October/28/2014
AOR Received.
Feb/04/2015, IP Since Feb/04/2015
File Transfer...
Jan/19/2015
Med's Request
Re-Medicals - Sept/23/2015
Med's Done....
Sept/04/2014
Passport Req..
Jan/18/2016
VISA ISSUED...
Oct/09/2015
LANDED..........
Feb/05/2016
I came here from India to study in 2006 so you can take my word when I say this. I presume you are from India as well,I got my laptop when I came here for school in 2006 and recently got a mac.

Its better in a way to get it here since you get the warranty here so if any thing goes wrong you could just get it repaired or exchanged here and the prices are not tat bad either for example Acer Aspire 17" Laptop featuring Intel Core i3-370M is $499 plus 13% taxes at bestbuy or Toshiba Satellite 14.0" Laptop featuring AMD Sabine Quad-Core Mobile A6-3400M for $499 as well, there are cheaper laptops for $345.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/acer-acer-aspire-17-laptop-featuring-intel-core-i3-370m-as7739g-6647-grey-as7739g-6647/10180303.aspx?path=763225ec75b0f78d49ab58eed9c57d57en02

so its about 28,000 Rs for the $499. I found the laptops offered here are better in terms of design since they are less bulky and you have more choices here

And the other thing is you need a plus converter every time you use the laptop, say you take it to school you need to carry that too.

If you are coming now, they have christmas sales and boxing day sales as well.

Hope that helps

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ad singh said:
hi,

Many of us will be buying laptop for our study abroad . Please share your views on laptop you plan to buy.

and what about digital camera.. are digital cameras available at reasonable price in our native country or canada.. ? which one you plan to buy and when .. ?
Hi,

No doubt, it's best to buy it from Canada. If you are on a budget and looking for a reliable laptop for your studies purpose, I recommend Dell Inspiron. It's best to buy it online from Dell website.

Dell Inspiron:

1. 2nd generation i3 core,
2. 3 GB Ram,
4. 15.4 LED Display,
5. 500 GB RAM,
6. 1 year warranty (all dell's laptop, even if buy it in India, comes with International warranty)
7. Pre Installed Window 7 (with a genuine DVD)
8. MS Office 2010 (only Word & Excel)

Last year (upto November, 2010), the Indian online price of Dell Inspiron was Rs. 35,800 + delivery charges of Rs. 990 (and the Market price was Rs. 40,000), and the same laptop in Canada cost for Rs. 28,000.

*One important advise: At the time buying Laptop, go for a "complete cover warranty" (not just a warranty), it cover against all accidental damage like drop, water spill over etc.

Camera: if you decide to buy it from Canada, you better go for SLR range camera. In India, the cheapest SLR cost for around Rs. 33,000.

heartbeat

Jan 31, 2010
Visa Office......
CHC Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2013-06-01
IELTS Request
ad singh said:
hi,

i suggest you to logon www.ebay.com and u will find hundred of choices around the world.....................i myself bought it

royalsting

Sep 14, 2011
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Pending
IELTS Request
8 Bands
Interview........
Nope!
enfield said:
Hi,

No doubt, it's best to buy it from Canada. If you are on a budget and looking for a reliable laptop for your studies purpose, I recommend Dell Inspiron. It's best to buy it online from Dell website.

Dell Inspiron:

1. 2nd generation i3 core,
2. 3 GB Ram,
4. 15.4 LED Display,
5. 500 GB RAM,
6. 1 year warranty (all dell's laptop, even if buy it in India, comes with International warranty)
7. Pre Installed Window 7 (with a genuine DVD)
8. MS Office 2010 (only Word & Excel)

Last year (upto November, 2010), the Indian online price of Dell Inspiron was Rs. 35,800 + delivery charges of Rs. 990 (and the Market price was Rs. 40,000), and the same laptop in Canada cost for Rs. 28,000.

*One important advise: At the time buying Laptop, go for a "complete cover warranty" (not just a warranty), it cover against all accidental damage like drop, water spill over etc.

Camera: if you decide to buy it from Canada, you better go for SLR range camera. In India, the cheapest SLR cost for around Rs. 33,000.
+1

I did not find a major price difference when it comes to Compact Cameras but DSLRs again will be slightly cheaper in Canada.

Also you will be lured to buy mac there if not go for Dell with "Complete Cover Warranty" as enfield suggested as it includes accidental damage wherein you can get your laptop replaced if you've accidentally dropped it and its not in a condition to get repaired.

Dell is customizable to a great extent if bought from North America unlike India which usually gets the latest hardware upgrades 2-3 months (usually even more) after NA and same thing applies to Macs which are not customizable online in India at all.

Customizing costs extra but than whats the harm in adding a stuff or two if you are getting upgrades within the same budget that you thought about in India with much lower specs.

I myself will be upgrading to Macbook Pro 15" there.

Smbenazir

Nov 2, 2011
Guys what about mobile phone, is it better to buy der or here in india... I want to buy latest smart phone, which will be the best?

royalsting

Sep 14, 2011
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Pending
IELTS Request
8 Bands
Interview........
Nope!
Smbenazir said:
Guys what about mobile phone, is it better to buy der or here in india... I want to buy latest smart phone, which will be the best?
The underlined part has to be answered by no one but you. Android, BB, iOS and WinMo are 4 major choices with tonnes of sub choices so suit yourself.

I would advice to get it from there so as to get local warranty as not all Cellphone companies offer international warranty. There won't be a major price different though.

royalsting

Sep 14, 2011
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Pending
IELTS Request
8 Bands
Interview........
Nope!
Undoubtedly Galaxy SII. My personal choice would be HTC Sensation XE or XL. But hottest stuff in the market is Galaxy Note.

draxz1289

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October/28/2014
AOR Received.
Feb/04/2015, IP Since Feb/04/2015
File Transfer...
Jan/19/2015
Med's Request
Re-Medicals - Sept/23/2015
Med's Done....
Sept/04/2014
Passport Req..
Jan/18/2016
VISA ISSUED...
Oct/09/2015
LANDED..........
Feb/05/2016
Cell phones can be really tricky since good phones here are expensive without contract around 500$ plus or $150 on a three year contract but you do have a better options here.

Definitely don't get the iPhone 4s in India since its priced more compared to getting an iPhone here outright if you are planning to get that.

I'm personally waiting for the Samsung note like the other person said. Samsung galaxy s2 is amazing and so is nexus one

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
draxz1289 said:
Cell phones can be really tricky since good phones here are expensive without contract around 500$ plus or $150 on a three year contract but you do have a better options here.

Definitely don't get the iPhone 4s in India since its priced more compared to getting an iPhone here outright if you are planning to get that.

I'm personally waiting for the Samsung note like the other person said. Samsung galaxy s2 is amazing and so is nexus one
Hi,

so why not discuss/talk about some affordable 'phone contract plans' which students would prefer to use. Many students are on budget and they certainly won't prefer expensive plans. It make better sense to use some affordable phone + contract when you are a student with no stable earning.

ad singh

May 23, 2011
Visa Office......
CHC CHD
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
31 March 2015
Nomination.....
15 March 2016
AOR Received.
18 April 2016
IELTS Request
8 BANDS
Med's Request
1 November 2016
Med's Done....
10 November 2016
Passport Req..
27-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
28-03-2018
hi enfield,

buddy slr camera is costly and the advertisement for them says ..professional use camera with big lense..

students may prefer non slr sleek and less costly digital cameras ... :)

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
enfield said:
Hi,

so why not discuss/talk about some affordable 'phone contract plans' which students would prefer to use. Many students are on budget and they certainly won't prefer expensive plans. It make better sense to use some affordable phone + contract when you are a student with no stable earning.
Better still, why not talk about non contract phones.
That way the costs don't get out of control.