+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"Several years of experience required" as a reason to refuse CEC application?

MapleTraveller

Jun 22, 2014
Hi,

I am trying to choose the right NOC for my CEC application.

The duties listed in category 0113 Purchasing managers seem to be the closest to what I was doing at my workplace (for a little bit longer than 1 year). The problem is that hrsdc website in "Employment requirements" for that category states that "Several years of experience as a purchasing agent or officer are required".
The job I had was my first job after finishing university and the employer didn't ask for any job experience when he was hiring me. My duties are closer to the ones from category 0113 Purchasing managers than group 1225 Purchasing agents and officers.

How should I understand the statement that "Several years of experience as a purchasing agent or officer are required"? Does it mean that CIC can refuse my CEC application saying that I didn't have several years of experience so I can't use the NOC group 0113 Purchasing managers?

Thanks for all advice!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
NOC 0113 - Lead statement: "Purchasing managers plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the activities of a purchasing department" including "Interview, hire and oversee training of staff." It is unlikely that you would be hired for your first job to manage others with more experience than you.

But without knowing your job duties, it's not possible to say anything more.

MapleTraveller

Jun 22, 2014
I was delegating some of my tasks to other office staff but I never hired anyone. Also my salary wasn't very high (36000/year), I guess thats because the company is not big.

My duties:
- analyze market / search for new products / search for new suppliers
- visit customers whenever required
- prepare quotations, review customers needs
- manage/negotiate contracts with suppliers
- plan & manage transport of products
- cooperate with warehouse manager to ensure efficient deliveries
- monitor proper flow of documents in department / check for accuracy
- improve the procedures within department
- hold meetings with staff
- evaluate staff performance

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
OK, the above is a good start, but it will help if you describe the type of industry you work in and/or the products you purchase/supply...

As far as personnel management, you sound like you're in an intermediate position - so who are the staff you meet with and evaluate (what are their titles?) And who do you report to? Is there a manager above you?

I suggest you try what I did - put your job description in one, the description of NOC 0113 in another, and the description for NOC 1225 in the third, and then try to see what duties in the NOC correspond best to your duties. When I had a look, NOC 1225 looked like a better fit.

The fact that you don't hire/fire staff, train staff, or control a budget suggests that NOC 0113 is not a great fit. And NOC 1225 does include some supervisory responsibilities.

Ultimately, you know better which fits your job - if you are certain 0113 is a better fit, you should take a look at how you can better describe your duties in a way that fit better with the NOC...

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
By the way - to answer the question in the title of this thread, "Several years of experience required" as a reason to refuse CEC application?" Not in itself, but it is a pretty good clue that if it's your first job, you might not be choosing the correct NOC. And applying with the wrong NOC - that does result in refusal.

dubi_fj

Dec 9, 2014
Please somebody can help me here?

My brother is working for Honda Trading as Marketing associate but his duties are more or less similar as Supply-chain and purchase managers and has more than 5 years working experience. He can get an experience letter with similar JD as 0113 but ofcourse his title will remain "Marketing associate". There is another category NOC 1225 of purchase officer to which he could apply. Due to his title we are confused in selecting the right NOC. Can someone let us know from their experience and guide us to which category he should apply 0113 or 1225. Many thanks.

Regards
FJ

gss89x

Star Member
Oct 9, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 15 2014
AOR Received.
December 05 2014
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
12-Jan-2016, Ecas updated 22-Jan-2016 ( Upfront)
Passport Req..
14 March 2016
VISA ISSUED...
30 March 2016
LANDED..........
12 April 2016
The same question scares me... I have applied under NOC 0621, all the job duties match...my all study matches with the merchendise we sell...just no past experince in this field...the title I chose was assistant manager...fingers crossed ..lets see what happens...will let you know in a month....

mdwael

Sep 30, 2018
The same question scares me... I have applied under NOC 0621, all the job duties match...my all study matches with the merchendise we sell...just no past experince in this field...the title I chose was assistant manager...fingers crossed ..lets see what happens...will let you know in a month....
@gss89x, what happened with your application? Did they refuse you for not having "several years of experience"?