+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Several question re: family class sponsorship of wife

RamR

Apr 16, 2008
Hi and thank you for this site.

I am a Canadian citizen who has been living and working overseas for most of the past 11 years. The past 5 years have been in Thailand where I met my wife. We were married a year and a half ago and have been together for more than 4 years in total. Now we are planning on the possibility of moving to Canada, it is just her and I with no dependents. As a result I am in the process of organizing Permanent Residency for her but find I have quite a few questions.

I will number the questions I have and keep them as brief and to the point as possible. However, it may be necessary to break them up into separate posts if this doesn't work.

As the sponsor I have currently filled out the following forms; Application to Sponsor and Undertaking (1344 A), Sponsorship Agreement (1344 B), Sponsorship Evaluation (5481) and Sponsorship Questionnaire (5540).

1. Is it necessary to fill out the Financial Evaluation Form (1283)?

2. Are there any forms I am missing?

3. Are there other documents that I need to include aside from a copy of my birth certificate or passport?

In the questionnaire there are two parts that concern me.

4. Past addresses and telephone numbers in countries where I have resided. As I mentioned I have been away more than 11 years and moved addresses often. Will it be a problem if I don't list them all?

5. Our intentions are to move back to Canada but we're still not sure as I am currently applying for jobs. We don't have any documents to support our move as asked for in the questionnaire. Is this a potential problem?

The documents for my wife that I have filled out are; Application for Permanent Residence [IMM 0008 GENERIC], Schedule 1 Background/Declaration [IMM 0008 SCHEDULE 1], Additional Family Information [IMM 5406], Sponsored Spouse/Partner Questionnaire [IMM 5490].

6. Are there any other forms that need to be filled out for her?

7. Are there any other documents that we need to include for her?

8. There is something about "Information Guides Specific to Geographic Regions" on the CIC site. When I click on the link you are asked to order these but can only do so from or to Canada (it seems). What are these about?

Finally, a couple general questions.

9. Do I include all the above forms and documents in on package for the initial application?

10. Why wold someone use a co-signer or representative? I don't think I need to but am not 100% sure what they are for.

Thanks to anyone who makes their way through this very long post and attempts to answer some of my questions. I apologize for the length but now all my thoughts are down in the same place. If need be I will separate them into individual threads later.

ThirstyDeer

Star Member
Feb 10, 2008
Can't answer all these for you, but as I read them, a few answers popped in my mind...

RamR said:

I am a Canadian citizen who has been living and working overseas for most of the past 11 years. The past 5 years have been in Thailand where I met my wife. We were married a year and a half ago and have been together for more than 4 years in total. Now we are planning on the possibility of moving to Canada, it is just her and I with no dependents. As a result I am in the process of organizing Permanent Residency for her but find I have quite a few questions.

I will number the questions I have and keep them as brief and to the point as possible. However, it may be necessary to break them up into separate posts if this doesn't work.

As the sponsor I have currently filled out the following forms; Application to Sponsor and Undertaking (1344 A), Sponsorship Agreement (1344 B), Sponsorship Evaluation (5481) and Sponsorship Questionnaire (5540).

>>> There are no financial requirements for your application, as you have no dependents part of the application.

3. Are there other documents that I need to include aside from a copy of my birth certificate or passport?
>>> The document checklist has a breakdown of everything you need. It is rather specific so it's a good resource to make sure you have what is needed.

4. Past addresses and telephone numbers in countries where I have resided. As I mentioned I have been away more than 11 years and moved addresses often. Will it be a problem if I don't list them all?

5. Our intentions are to move back to Canada but we're still not sure as I am currently applying for jobs. We don't have any documents to support our move as asked for in the questionnaire. Is this a potential problem?

The documents for my wife that I have filled out are; Application for Permanent Residence [IMM 0008 GENERIC], Schedule 1 Background/Declaration [IMM 0008 SCHEDULE 1], Additional Family Information [IMM 5406], Sponsored Spouse/Partner Questionnaire [IMM 5490].

>>> Documents needed for her include things like police checks from the countries she has resided in, proof of your relationship, proof of marriage, etc.

8. There is something about "Information Guides Specific to Geographic Regions" on the CIC site. When I click on the link you are asked to order these but can only do so from or to Canada (it seems). What are these about?
>>> Depending on the country your wife is applying from, there may be additional or different forms to fill out, as well as other specific documents required for immigration purposes.

9. Do I include all the above forms and documents in on package for the initial application?
>>> Yes.

10. Why wold someone use a co-signer or representative? I don't think I need to but am not 100% sure what they are for.
>>> A co-signer is mostly used when an application involves financial requirements cannot be met by the principal applicant (yourself). To meet the requirement, you'd have to have someone "co-sign" it, such as a relative or family member. Your combined income would meet the requirement. As I said before, you don't have to worry about that as spousal applications have no financial requirements. The representative is most often an immigration lawyer or consultant hired to assist through the process. The average application really doesn't need one, but if there are particular challenges or complexities in your case, or perhaps language barriers, then it might be advisable to hire such a representative. I chose not to. Cases with representatives get no special priority as far as applications go.

Thanks to anyone who makes their way through this very long post and attempts to answer some of my questions. I apologize for the length but now all my thoughts are down in the same place. If need be I will separate them into individual threads later.

Jadran

Sep 16, 2012
Re: Several question re: family class sponsorship of wife imm 5406

Let me have this form filled right:
(Me as a sponsor of my wife who lives aboard)

This form IMM 5406 is strictly to be filled:
Section A.
her name as an appliciant and,
my name as a spouse. Right?
Her parents, her children (if any),
her brothers and sisters (if any)?

It is really confusing, even to me who lives 23 years in Canada, but I think I am right because in Document check list-Sponsor IMM 5491 this form is listed under "Sponsored person and family members" section.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
Re: Several question re: family class sponsorship of wife imm 5406

Jadran said:
Let me have this form filled right:
(Me as a sponsor of my wife who lives aboard)

This form IMM 5406 is strictly to be filled:
Section A.
her name as an appliciant and,
my name as a spouse. Right?
Her parents, her children (if any),
her brothers and sisters (if any)?

It is really confusing, even to me who lives 23 years in Canada, but I think I am right because in Document check list-Sponsor IMM 5491 this form is listed under "Sponsored person and family members" section.
Yes that's right! :)

arooba

Apr 8, 2016
yes ur filling right documents,
i guess financial evaluation form is optional if you fill 5481

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
The thread was started in 2008... Is there a particular reason you bumped this thread?

cheng9999

Dec 14, 2015
RamR said:

You got all the forms, and when you go through the checklist to make sure you address everything, you either fill in the information required in the appropriate forms or you provide separate documents. For example, I would imagine you do not have Canadian tax assessment or Form C...in this case, you would provide your current tax filing, monthly salary deposit in your bank account, or whatever else which serves this function.

For showing that you will relocate back to Canada, if you have nothing yet, most people in this forum would provide letters from relatives or close friends who would put you up until you get settled. Others say your documentation in searches for jobs, interviews...frankly, how can employer even take you seriously when you won't be back for 9-12 months, if not longer. Financial situation is not a requirement, although having financial assets to tide you through, as well as having opened bank accounts in Canada with some funds, would provide proof of intent to move back also.

Past addresses...I don't know, if you can fill them in, do fill them in to the best of your ability. It may be a long list if you moved often, so just use a separate piece of paper. You don't want your case to be delayed because CIC asks you for the info, even though I suspect it's less of an issue for the sponsor. For your wife's 5669E form, as an example, make sure she goes back to 18 years old, and that it's easy to see that there are no gaps in any time period. If she was not working, say unemployed...don't worry about short vacations, but if you want to fill them out, that's fine.

Clear Beauty

Mar 3, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 2015
Interview........
March 2016 Refused. Submit Appeal ........: March 2016 . Bluebook Recieved ........: June 2016. Waiting for Appearance Date......: November 2016. WTF?
I submitted my sponsorship package from Canada. I do not recall needing a separate document to list my financial information. I did not use the services of a representative.

My wife's application paperwork was handled by a private Immigration agent in China. I am not sure if he signed as her representative.

Sorry, I am not being much help here this morning. Regardless, the first stage is to have your Sponsor's application submitted for approval.
I was approved long before my wife's paperwork was submitted. When the sponsored applicant [ your wife] submits her completed application, then you pay. It cost me over $1000.

I still cannot understand how to insert the subject's quote... what? Huh?