+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Settlement Funds

Nov 18, 2012
I am coming to Canada for first visit. As required, I have to show balance CAD $20,654 being the family of four with two kids.

Should these funds be in CAD or it can be some other currency like US dollar equivalent to such CAD. Can anybody in this forum confirm this?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

hammad_mahmood said:
I am coming to Canada for first visit. As required, I have to show balance CAD $20,654 being the family of four with two kids.

Should these funds be in CAD or it can be some other currency like US dollar equivalent to such CAD. Can anybody in this forum confirm this?
Any convertible currency is fine.

Manitoba123

Feb 13, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hammad_mahmood said:

You can also bring these funds in US currency but do remember the most important rule that you cannot bring more than 10'000 CAD (CASH) in Canada. First you have to notify the concerned department. Kindly do some research about it.

You have to report to a border services officer amounts equal to or greater than CAN$10,000, or its equivalent in a foreign currency that you are bringing into or taking out of Canada.

Bringing Your Money to Canada when Moving

You have a lot to take care of when moving to a new country. Bringing along your funds is one of your top priorities.

There are many ways for you to bring your money to Canada. One convenient way is to wire transfer the funds directly to your bank account in Canada. You just need to open a Canadian bank account right after you arrive and you can then send your money to this account. A fee may be required, so check the details before making the transfer.

You can also arrange for an International Money Order while in your home country, bring it with you and deposit it into your bank account in Canada. Be aware that it takes longer for banks to clear an International Money Order to make funds available to you. In case you decide to bring cash with you, there is no limit on the amount. However, everyone who brings cash in excess of C$10,000 is required to declare it.

CIBC accepts both Plus and Visa Networks for a cash withdrawal. Check with your bank at home to understand the fees and restrictions, e.g. daily withdraw limit.
When should I transfer my money?

Before you arrive in Canada, make sure you bring either a statement of a Canadian bank account or cash, money order, or other negotiable instruments. Plan ahead to give yourself enough time to arrange the money transfer or to exchange foreign currency.
How much should I bring?

The government requires minimum funds to support yourself and your family after landing in Canada. Skilled workers need to prove to an immigration officer when they land in Canada that they have at least $11,115 for each person or $17,011 for a family of three. For the most up-to-date information and more details, check the Citizenship & Immigration Canada website.

Finally, the living costs may vary by the location you choose to live in. Regardless of where you choose to settle, you should budget your expenses to cover at least your first 6 to 12 months.

Nov 18, 2012
Many thanks for such a useful reply. The cash which i will be bringing will be around CAD 16,000 (including USD) and remaining will be through banking instrument.

Kindly also inform which is the concerned department to whom cash in excess of CAD 10,000 is to be notified and what is the procedure about this. And will 'border services officer' be at air port?

Is there any negative implication in brining cash in excess of CAD 10,000?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
hammad_mahmood said:
Many thanks for such a useful reply. The cash which i will be bringing will be around CAD 16,000 (including USD) and remaining will be through banking instrument.

Kindly also inform which is the concerned department to whom cash in excess of CAD 10,000 is to be notified and what is the procedure about this. And will 'border services officer' be at air port?

There is no issue bringing more than $10K into Canada. You just have to declare it to immigration when you arrive in Canada. There will be no penalty / taxes charged. It's very very easy and there is nothing to worry about.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
hammad_mahmood said:

I landed 2 months ago in toronto and had around 23000 USD in cash - i didn't contact any "department" or whatever,
you just need to declare it as Scylla mentioned.

You might need to check with your home country (or your country of residence)-if they have restrictions on the amount of cash allowed to leave the country...as some countries have restrictions on the amount of cash "leaving", but for sure you will have no problems entering canada with any amount of cash as a new immigrant.

Good luck with your landing process!

buliwyf

Star Member
Mar 27, 2013
I'm planning to bring a Bank Draft, amounting about CAD $15k addressed to myself.

1. Is this a good idea?
2. Will I be able to open a Canadian bank account using this?
3. Is a bank draft considered "cash?" Either way, I assume I must declare it on airport immigration?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
buliwyf said:
I'm planning to bring a Bank Draft, amounting about CAD $15k addressed to myself.

1. Is this a good idea?
3. Is a bank draft considered "cash?" Either way, I assume I must declare it on airport immigration?
1) Depends, because bank draft takes time to encash
2) Yes
3) Just play safe, declare anything.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
buliwyf said:

1. Is this a good idea?
Bank drafts are considered monetary instruments and must be declared at the border (see http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/e677.pdf)

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
hammad_mahmood said:
This form will be filled at airport at the time of arrival??
Yes, here are the instructions:

"If you are entering or leaving Canada and are carrying $10,000 or more, or its equivalent in a foreign currency including any combination of coins, domestic or foreign bank notes, and securities, such as travellers cheques, stocks and bonds, you have to complete Form E677 (105 KB), Cross-Border Currency or Monetary Instruments Report – Individual. If the currency or monetary instruments that you are reporting are not your own, you will be required to complete Form E667 (87 KB), Cross-Border Currency or Monetary Instruments Report – General. You must complete the reporting form, sign it, and hand it to a border services officer at the nearest CBSA office that is open at the time you are travelling."

You could always type it out before hand and carry it with you.

subhankardebnath

Star Member
Apr 20, 2012
Hi
I will be landing in canada on 30 th of this month as a FSW immigrant. I am aware that I need to carry CAD 11115. I have decided to carry 500 dollars in cash and rest in Travel card which is a visa chip and pin card. My bank in my origin country has issued it and this card will have the money in CAD only. Will this be considered as banking instrument for prof of fund?

Thanks

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
subhankardebnath said:
Hi
I will be landing in canada on 30 th of this month as a FSW immigrant. I am aware that I need to carry CAD 11115. I have decided to carry 500 dollars in cash and rest in Travel card which is a visa chip and pin card. My bank in my origin country has issued it and this card will have the money in CAD only. Will this be considered as banking instrument for prof of fund?

Thanks
They might not have a chip reading machine. Perhaps you can also bring the relevant bank statement?

subhankardebnath

Star Member
Apr 20, 2012
steaky said:
They might not have a chip reading machine. Perhaps you can also bring the relevant bank statement?
The bank will provide me documentation a as well mentioning the amount. Hope this would be fine.