+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Service Ontario, Proof of eligibility to get health card, Inland spousal sponsorship

fr67

Mar 16, 2019
Hi I'm having a hard time with Service Ontario.
They aren't giving clear answers about the document my wife (IN PROCESS, INLAND) needs to prove her eligibility for Ontario health card. We got her a nova Scotia health card no problem with the receipt we received from the government for PR application.

We gave MSI (Nova Scotia) a copy of the receipt and we showed them an email that addresses us both from our lawyer. That was all we needed to get her NS health card.

Service Ontario says they want something written. We don't even have any response from the government yet! All we have is that receipt.

Our NS MSI coverage will not work in another few weeks. What am I supposed to do?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi I'm having a hard time with Service Ontario.
They aren't giving clear answers about the document my wife (IN PROCESS, INLAND) needs to prove her eligibility for Ontario health card. We got her a nova Scotia health card no problem with the receipt we received from the government for PR application.

We gave MSI (Nova Scotia) a copy of the receipt and we showed them an email that addresses us both from our lawyer. That was all we needed to get her NS health card.

Service Ontario says they want something written. We don't even have any response from the government yet! All we have is that receipt.

Our NS MSI coverage will not work in another few weeks. What am I supposed to do?
Ontario requires proof your wife is employed. Once she has an OWP and has a job, she will be able to apply for OHIP.

fr67

Mar 16, 2019
Ontario requires proof your wife is employed. Once she has an OWP and has a job, she will be able to apply for OHIP.
That can't be right sir.
As part of inland process as an applicant sponsored by Canadian citizen, she's to be given health coverage.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
That can't be right sir.
As part of inland process as an applicant sponsored by Canadian citizen, she's to be given health coverage.
Not in Ontario. She needs to be working in a full-time job that lasts at least 6 months or she can apply for OHIP once she receive AIP which is around a month before approval.

fr67

Mar 16, 2019
Not in Ontario. She needs to be working in a full-time job that lasts at least 6 months or she can apply for OHIP once she receive AIP which is around a month before approval.

That's insane. It's different per province?? I can't believe our lawyer told us point blank that she would get a health card (which she did in NS) after applying for PR....

Luckily she used no health services from NS.

OK so we're 3.5 months in waiting for her work VISA. When that arrives and she gets at least a 6 month job... man this is a major major blow to us.
I don't know how I'm going to tell her.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
That's insane. It's different per province?? I can't believe our lawyer told us point blank that she would get a health card (which she did in NS) after applying for PR....

OK so we're 3.5 months in waiting for her work VISA. When that arrives and she gets at least a 6 month job... man this is a major major blow to us.
Yes - rules differ between provinces. Your lawyer should have known this.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Yes healthcare is provincial. Since Ontario is a major hub for immigration they are much stricter about who is awarded a health card. There will be a 3 month wait period before your wife qualifies for OHIP once she gets a job that lasts at least 6 months.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Tell her she is in the same boat as all the other spouses applying inland and purchase some emergency medical insurance in case she does need medical help. Just the start of her potential frustrations with OHIP. I am waiting almost a year for an MRI which is just crazy.

fr67

Mar 16, 2019
Tell her she is in the same boat as all the other spouses applying inland and purchase some emergency medical insurance in case she does need medical help. Just the start of her potential frustrations with OHIP. I am waiting almost a year for an MRI which is just crazy.
Yeah I wish I'd known this before we applied for inland.
She needs a checkup every 6 months to make sure her cancer has not returned.

I truly fear the worst now.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yeah I wish I'd known this before we applied for inland.
She needs a checkup every 6 months to make sure her cancer has not returned.

I truly fear the worst now.
She can still have that check up. You just need to pay for it.

fr67

Mar 16, 2019
A PET scan and oncology check-up appointment is going to be pretty expensive plus additional labs. Maybe an MRI or CT.
Luckily we haven't been out of NS for more than 3 months and as per a phone call from MSI, her health card will work here.
But I guess she'll have to go back to her country for the next 6 monthl inspection after this one.
Her application was submitted Oct.29/19 so I guess she won't be able to get the card until about September.

Thanks a lot for all these clarifications. I certainly did not receive this incredibly important information when we discussed her application with our $6000 lawyer.............................. I really don't believe it.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Luckily we haven't been out of NS for more than 3 months and as per a phone call from MSI, her health card still works.
But I guess she'll have to go back to her country in 6 months to get the next one done.
Her application was submitted Oct.29/19 so I guess she won't be able to get the card until about September.

Thanks a lot for all these clarifications. I certainly did not receive this incredibly important information when we discussed her application with our $6000 lawyer.............................. I really don't believe it.
If you don’t spend 6 months in Nova Scotia you will be committing healthcare fraud if she uses the card knowingly. Being out of NS your chances of being caught are much higher if you try to use the card in Ontario. Having a valid card and qualifying for healthcare are very different. If you use the card in Ontario there are much better chances those expenses will be audited and you will be asked to pay back anything she uses.