+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Separated from wife but no divorce. CIC asked for divorce certificate. What should I do?

MRM01

May 18, 2024
Hi,

I hope everyone is doing well. I appreciate this helpful tips and advice from this thread. And I also need some advice regarding my ongoing PR application.

I have been separated for 11 years, and my PR application with 1 dependent process has been ongoing since January 2023.

Some Timeline:

January 25, 2024

- Received a letter from IRCC requesting a signed statutory declaration stating my relationship with my husband and detailing the efforts I made to explain why my husband cannot be examined.
* I sent a statutory declaration stating that I have been separated for more than 10 years, provided evidence that I am a solo parent and the financial provider for my daughter.
* I also sent a document showing that I have applied and paid for a divorce at the Superior Court of Justice, but the process has not yet started.

March 2024
- Received a letter from IRCC requesting a completed Schedule 19B, a reference letter, and other documents from my employer.
* I complied and submitted all required documents.

May 17, 2024
- Received a letter requesting a Divorce Certificate. :(

This process has been lengthy. Despite submitting a statutory declaration explaining my situation, they are still requesting a Divorce Certificate. It may have been a mistake to mention that I was in the process of filing for a divorce.

Here are some of my questions:

1. Should I push forward and start the divorce process? How long would it take, and should I submit a Letter of Explanation (LOE) in the meantime?
2. Can I submit an affidavit of separation while waiting for the Divorce Certificate? Would they grant me PR in advance?
3. Does anyone know how long it would take to get a simple divorce under the Hague Convention process? Are there any informational links about the Hague Convention?
4. How long does the process take for a mutual or joint uncontested divorce?

Unfortunately, I am in maintained/implied status and cannot go home. I just want to finish and get PR as soon as possible so I can see my family.

Hopefully you could give me some helpful advice. Thank you!