+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sending PR application while on OWP implied status?

odubbs

Feb 16, 2021
Hello immigration expert network!

My situation is a bit funky.
I am currently working and living in Canada.
I was invited to apply via Canadian experience class, and have gathered all my documents EXCEPT my IELTS score expired a week ago!
My current work permit expired (feb. 13th) before I was able to retake the test, even though I have another month left on my window of time to apply for PR. (Deadline is March 9th)
Luckily, I submitted an open work permit application BEFORE my previous permit expired in order to maintain my work permit status while it is being processed.
I will receive my new english test scores submit my finalized PR application before the deadline, and will also apply for a BOWP at that time.

MY QUESTION IS:
How risky is it that the immigration officer will disapprove of my choice to use the implied status loophole to maintain worker status for a couple weeks between my work permit expiring, and applying for my PR and BOWP? Will this cause him/her to deny my entire PR application?

The alternative is paying $3000 to a lawyer to extend my employer specific work permit. I am really trying to avoid this!

Thanks!
odubbs

odubbs

Feb 16, 2021
You mentioned you’re on a closed work permit, how are you able to convert that to an open work permit? Is that possible? I’m just curious.

you can only apply for BOWP IF you have submitted your PR application AND your work permit only has 4 months left or less.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/extend-permit/bridging-open-work-permit.html
Thanks for the reply!
After advising a lawyer, I applied for an open work permit before my closed work permit expired. He said that this would grant me implied open work permit status while the application was processing. I really only did this to maintain my worker status so that I wouldn't have to stop working. I will either submit a BOWP with my PR application around march 1st or continue with this LMIA exempt employer specific permit ASAP, maintaining my worker status via one of those options until my PR is processed.