+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

semester system and work permit

D

deep22

Hi friends, what is the difference between one year program duration
3 SEMESTERS, 2 SEMESTERS, 1 ACADEMIC YEARS (PERIODS OF 8 MONTHS).
What is the difference in study months and work permit after such programs?
What is the difference between REGULAR and NON-MINISTRY FUNDED programs, WHICH is best to do?
Thanks.

tiger007

Champion Member
deep22 said:
what is the difference between one year program duration
3 SEMESTERS, 2 SEMESTERS, 1 ACADEMIC YEARS (PERIODS OF 8 MONTHS).
What is the difference in study months and work permit after such programs?
Hi,

A lot has been discussed and talked about duration of academic year and the post grad work permit to be received after it.

Usually, as per CIC, 1 academic year = 4+4= 8 months or 2 semesters. and 2 years of academic study = 8+8= 16 months or 4 semesters. (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/graduates.asp)

Most 1 academic year courses are 8 months/ 2 semesters long and may or may not include a co-op/ internship/work experience term ranging from few weeks to a full (3rd)SEM Or it can be a full time fast track course of 3 semester studies so as to cover more portion.

Now, as per PGWP rule, you 'll receive PGWP exactly equal to the duration of your studies if your full time studies is atleast of 8 months duration but less than 2 years. And you'll receive a PGWP of 3 years if you complete a full time course of duration of 2 years or above. If u study a 1 year course of lower level (say PG certificate) and then do another 1 year of Masters, those also get 3 years PGWP.

Saying this, those pursuing 2 years full time courses (of 4 semesters or 16 months) generally get a 3 years PGWP, but however many pursuing 1 academic year of studies (2 semesters/ 8 months, without co-op) may or may not get just 8 months of PGWP instead of 1 full academic year. Those who pursue co-op/internship/work experience months/full 1 SEM, which is as part of their course, receive total PGWP of 8 months+ the number of co-op months. Now, why this injustice, I don''t know and you may even get a 1 full year PGWP after 8 months of studies or in rare cases (as happened to 1 member on this forum) got less that 3 years PGWP, even after completing a 2 years PG certificate programme from a college.
Also there 're MBA programmes, ranging from 12 to 14 to 18 months, but one gets 3 years PGWP.
Thus, it's safe to assume that, it largely depends on the VO issuing the PGWP and also on the number of credit hours for the course.

D

deep22

My program fee of one year is C$ 12000. would my one year living cost be 8000 or 10000 or 12000 dollars for one year? and how much traveling expense should be included, 1000 dollars or 2000.
12000 tuition fee + 12000 living expense+traveling expense
=24000*51=1224000 or

24000*48=1152000 as suggested by reputed consultant.
how much loan i need and which is better to pay first sem fee from our savings or from loan?
please advise . thanks.

tiger007

Champion Member
deep22 said:
My program fee of one year is C$ 12000. would my one year living cost be 8000 or 10000 or 12000 dollars for one year? and how much traveling expense should be included, 1000 dollars or 2000.
12000 tuition fee + 12000 living expense+traveling expense
=24000*51=1224000 or

24000*48=1152000 as suggested by reputed consultant.
how much loan i need and which is better to pay first sem fee from our savings or from loan?
please advise . thanks.
Hi,

Canadian dollar (C$) at the moment is 50.62 INR. In past 1 month, the value of C$ was at lowest 49.00 INR. So, going by the fluctuations, it should not be surprising to assume that the value of INR may rise and you should calculate the value of C$ at minimum 50 INR. It may be less in coming months... but you never know...

In my personal opinion, what I'll do is: tuition fees (including insurance) + minimum 10k C$ for living expenses (better 12k C$) + 2000 C$ (for return airfare, visas) + 1000 $- 1,500 $ books+ 500$ (for attending professional seminars, other costs related to the course for year) + say min. 1,000C$ ( separately in cash from your side for initial shopping of cold clothes, luggage, other preparation etc.).

So, that comes to : 12k+10k+1k+0.5k+1= 24.5k C$ + 0.5k (if insurance not included with tuion fees) = that's total= 25,000 C$ or 27,000 C$ (if you take 12k C$ for 1 year living expenses)

So.. that will be... at current rates: 25,000 C$ * 50.62= 12,65,500 INR or 27k C$* 50.62= 13,66,740 INR

Now, to be on safer side..coz you never know what you may need or happen in a land where your are a foreigner... I'll say consider 27k C$ or 13.67 lacs INR as your total realistic budget for 1 year. Say 67k INR is for your shopping, other expenses..and you show bank you need 13lacs total.

Now, it's best to take loan of atleast 75-80% of total expenses, which in your case 'll be: min 9.75 lacs INR, so.. my guess will be to take atleast 7.5-9.5 lacs INR loan, depending upon how much cash you 've in savings.

Regarding, 1st SEM fees to be paid by savings or loan... I can't say much. My guess is... if college is asking for immediate 1 SEM fees after /or at time of admission, then you will have to pay via savings...and if you can give it later.. then pay via loan. But whatever it may be.. I think, at the end you will 've to consider your total budget of 13 lacs INR and take loan accordingly.

D

deep22

hi everyone, please tell
what tests are done in medical and what cautions should we take before medical?
how long before applying, can we have our medical done?
thanks.

Saptak

Dec 14, 2014
Hi everyone,

This is Saptak from India. I am planning to go to Camosun College next year for the Post Degree Diploma in Human Resrource Management program which is 16 months of length ( 3 semesters and 1 semester of internship). Now , after my study is completed will I get a 16 months of work permit or 3 years , as we all know 16 months is generally considered as 2 years of studies? Can anyone help?

Saptak

dental15

Oct 28, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear, Saptak

Before I called to CIC about post work graduation work permit and semesters system.

If you take more than 4 semesters, you will get the work permit between 2 and 3 years old. (it's up to CIC officer's decision)

Otherwise, you will get 16 months work permit because you choose 16 months course... If you want to get longer work permit,

I highly recommend that look for other programs and colleges where they offer more than 4 semesters(must be study term)

I hope, you understand what I am talking...

Reactions: Miracle2018

Saptak

Dec 14, 2014
Hello,

My program length is 16 months ( 3 semesters of study and an additional semester of internship) . So What do you think? I mean is it possible to acquire 3 years of work permit? :)

Saptak

Dec 14, 2014
dental15 said:
Dear, Saptak

Before I called to CIC about post work graduation work permit and semesters system.

If you take more than 4 semesters, you will get the work permit between 2 and 3 years old. (it's up to CIC officer's decision)

Otherwise, you will get 16 months work permit because you choose 16 months course... If you want to get longer work permit,

I highly recommend that look for other programs and colleges where they offer more than 4 semesters(must be study term)

I hope, you understand what I am talking...

So how does this funda work ? I mean how will I get to understand how much longer my Post graduation work permit is?

dental15

Oct 28, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As I said that your course is only 3 semesters which is study term. and another semester is internship or work term.

So, u can expect max time is 2 years for work permit... not 3 years... if you want get 3 years work permit, you should look for other college.... I already called to CIC for the same question.

Jan 16, 2018
Hi,

A lot has been discussed and talked about duration of academic year and the post grad work permit to be received after it.

Usually, as per CIC, 1 academic year = 4+4= 8 months or 2 semesters. and 2 years of academic study = 8+8= 16 months or 4 semesters. (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/graduates.asp)

Most 1 academic year courses are 8 months/ 2 semesters long and may or may not include a co-op/ internship/work experience term ranging from few weeks to a full (3rd)SEM Or it can be a full time fast track course of 3 semester studies so as to cover more portion.

Now, as per PGWP rule, you 'll receive PGWP exactly equal to the duration of your studies if your full time studies is atleast of 8 months duration but less than 2 years. And you'll receive a PGWP of 3 years if you complete a full time course of duration of 2 years or above. If u study a 1 year course of lower level (say PG certificate) and then do another 1 year of Masters, those also get 3 years PGWP.

Saying this, those pursuing 2 years full time courses (of 4 semesters or 16 months) generally get a 3 years PGWP, but however many pursuing 1 academic year of studies (2 semesters/ 8 months, without co-op) may or may not get just 8 months of PGWP instead of 1 full academic year. Those who pursue co-op/internship/work experience months/full 1 SEM, which is as part of their course, receive total PGWP of 8 months+ the number of co-op months. Now, why this injustice, I don''t know and you may even get a 1 full year PGWP after 8 months of studies or in rare cases (as happened to 1 member on this forum) got less that 3 years PGWP, even after completing a 2 years PG certificate programme from a college.
Also there 're MBA programmes, ranging from 12 to 14 to 18 months, but one gets 3 years PGWP.
Thus, it's safe to assume that, it largely depends on the VO issuing the PGWP and also on the number of credit hours for the course.
I want to apply to Centennial College for 1 year graduate certificate (optional co-op). Usually if you get a co-op or not entirely depends upon the college’s ability to match you to an employer. Also once you start studying there you need to fulfill the eligibility to opt in to co-op. So, colleges don’t directly give you admission in the co-op terms when you apply from your home country; therefore, you’re not sure if you’re really going to get the chance to get co-op. In that case for how long would I be able to get a study permit, and PGWP after that? The title of my program is:
Marketing - Research and Analytics (optional co-op)
1 Year / 2 Semesters

Would appreciate if you can guide further.