+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Self Employment Documents Query

gopalmoseskhan

Jan 17, 2023
Hi !
I have applied for EE and my current CRS is 481.
One of my work history item is self employment. Essentially, I created various mobile apps which generated revenue through advertisements.
I was able to register this business as a partnership firm under the Indian government. I have these documents -
- Article of Incorporation, business ownership (The deed for creating the partnership firm covers this) (Also registered in Maharashtra government as business under the ShopAct)
- Evidence of self employment income (I received 5 figure USD amount from Google Ads over the span of 2 years and I have all the payment invoices)
- Tax receipts (I filed tax ITR)
- Bank receipts (All the payments coming from Google)

The only document which would be hard for me to show is client reference letter. The apps I created had around 1 million users and they are as close to a client as it can get.
Anyone who has had a similar experience or knows what to do in such cases?

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
The apps I created had around 1 million users
Completely off-topic note: If you have 1 mil users, even with a 1-5% cohort retention rate, you are leaving 95% rev on table. High frequency, low LTV monetization like Ad isn't the best fit. Ad could've been a good fit if you had an k-factor (virality coef) of 1.2+.

gopalmoseskhan

Jan 17, 2023
Completely off-topic note: If you have 1 mil users, even with a 1-5% cohort retention rate, you are leaving 95% rev on table. High frequency, low LTV monetization like Ad isn't the best fit. Ad could've been a good fit if you had an k-factor (virality coef) of 1.2+.
Definitely agree. This was back in 2016-2018. I was pretty good at the Software Dev part but making money efficiently and thinking like a PM wasn't a strong suit. I tried a subscription model but it didn't take traction. And had to end operations after coming to US on an F1 visa since I am not allowed to earn money.

Reactions: iSaidGoodDay

gopalmoseskhan

Jan 17, 2023
I had a chat with a consultant and I was told that this cannot be used as self employment as the client reference letters and lack of supplier letters not being present causes a lack of evidence for the officers. They wont be able to confirm if the NOC matches the business. Which makes sense.

However I still believe there should have been a way through which this can be proved as well due to nature of current tech businesses.

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
I had a chat with a consultant and I was told that this cannot be used as self employment as the client reference letters and lack of supplier letters not being present causes a lack of evidence for the officers. They wont be able to confirm if the NOC matches the business. Which makes sense.

However I still believe there should have been a way through which this can be proved as well due to nature of current tech businesses.
Damn! Would the Adsense invoices and a LOE not work? Is your consultant an RCIC?

sgoldsmith

Nov 20, 2020
As you write "one of your work history item", would leaving that self-employed work experience out have an impact on your points ? If not, you could just move it in your personal history. There, you would not need to provide any kind of supporting documentation.

gopalmoseskhan

Jan 17, 2023
Damn! Would the Adsense invoices and a LOE not work? Is your consultant an RCIC?
He told he that there should a letter from the client which if you cannot bring, then you could try bringing one from your supplier or investor. I have none. Also I am not sure if he is an RCIC. I might ask him that. I had no clue that existed until now.

gopalmoseskhan

Jan 17, 2023
As you write "one of your work history item", would leaving that self-employed work experience out have an impact on your points ? If not, you could just move it in your personal history. There, you would not need to provide any kind of supporting documentation.
Fortunately I also fount out that I can put non-primary NOC jobs to collect points for CRS and I was a graduate teaching assistant for a few months. I replaced the self employment with that now.

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Fortunately I also fount out that I can put non-primary NOC jobs to collect points for CRS and I was a graduate teaching assistant for a few months. I replaced the self employment with that now.
Oh, okay. I'd recommend talking to a RCIC as well. There are so many, and they aren't super expensive either. You can ask them 2-3 questions over a call and pay for an hour/30 mins. Totally worth it. I used Kubier.

Reactions: gopalmoseskhan