+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Seeking urgent advice regarding PGWP application

mehravenky

Nov 16, 2019
Hello.

I'm an international student. I was on a study permit which is valid till 31 December 2019. My program was Master of International Business at a University which is a one year program that started in September 2018 and finished in September 2019. I had the graduation ceremony on 14th November 2019. So for the PGWP application, I have the unofficial transcript on which the degree conferral date is November 1, 2019, program completion date is October 28, 2019. And then I have the official letter from the university dated November 15, 2019, which states that I've graduated and completed all program requirements.

I was working part-time at a retail store (20 hrs) a week for the month of August 2019. I started working again at the same store on October 28, 2019, but this time I picked up full-time shifts (40-43 hours per week). Since all my coursework was done by this time and I was scheduled to graduate, I thought that I could work full time on my study permit which was an honest mistake. I continued working full-time shifts till November 12, 2019. So in total, I worked for 11 working days or 2 weeks and 2 days or 100.5 hours and then I realized on November 14, 2019, that I had made a huge mistake and should have applied for PGWP on October 28th before taking on full-time shifts. I've stopped working from November 13, 2019, until I can figure out this situation.

My question is:
1. What date would be most important which would denote that I'm no longer student status? Is it the conferral date, program completion date on the transcript or the letter that was sent by the university?
2. Is my fault working full time for these 11 working days instead of part-time or that I've done unauthorized work as I didn't apply for my PGWP?
3. How should I answer the question Have you ever remained beyond the validity of your status, attended school without authorization or worked without authorization in Canada? This question is on the imm5710e application form.
4. Do I need to write an optional letter that can be attached under client information explaining my mistake or should I hide my mistake? If yes, how should I write that letter?
5. How can I make the best out of this situation? Do you think I'll face any extreme consequences?

This was an honest genuine mistake, and as soon as I realized it, I immediately stopped working. What should I do? I'm scared about the mess that I'm in.

Thanks a lot for your time reading this. Any advice, suggestions, help from this community of professional immigration consultants would be greatly appreciated.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
You can work part time until program completion date or official notification that you completed the course. After that you cant work at all until you apply for PGWP then you can work full time.

How you should proceed is up to you, admit it and hope they forgive you or hide it and hope they dont find out.

Reactions: k.h.p.

mehravenky

Nov 16, 2019
You can work part time until program completion date or official notification that you completed the course. After that you cant work at all until you apply for PGWP then you can work full time.

How you should proceed is up to you, admit it and hope they forgive you or hide it and hope they dont find out.
Which option in your opinion has a higher chance of success?

mehravenky

Nov 16, 2019
Lying or hiding is always a bad option, isn't it?
Yes, that's true. So how should I tell them about my mistake? How should I answer the question Have you ever remained beyond the validity of your status, attended school without authorization or worked without authorization in Canada? This question is on the imm5710e application form. And where should I attach the letter explaining the unintentional unauthorized work that I did for 2 weeks?