+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Seeking help/advice.

janchel

Jan 1, 2010
Hello,

I am a US citizen, and my boyfriend is a Canadian citizen. We met online about 9 months ago. We have met twice and maintain a relationship online and by phone. My question is, can I visit him in Canada, and if we decided to marry, after I was there, what is the process? Any help will be appreciated.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
being US citizen you can enter Canada without any visa. why not to consider to marry in the US? it can take up to a month to receive a marriage certificate in Canada.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It depends on the province. Generally you go to the gov't to get a marriage licence, then marry. Quebec involves a bit more annoying process like posting a notice, etc.

I think it takes equally long in most states in the U.S.A., Suin.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
Karlshammar said:
It depends on the province. Generally you go to the gov't to get a marriage licence, then marry. Quebec involves a bit more annoying process like posting a notice, etc.

that's strange - we got our marriage certificate the same day we got married. and I have friends who were married in other states and got their marriage certificates the same day or maximum in two days.

janchel

Jan 1, 2010
Suin said:
being US citizen you can enter Canada without any visa. why not to consider to marry in the US? it can take up to a month to receive a marriage certificate in Canada.
Thank you for this reply. It is good to know that ahead of time!

janchel

Jan 1, 2010
Karlshammar said:

If we marry in Canada, how long do I have before I have to apply for a PR, if I am going to remain there, do you know?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
janchel said:
If we marry in Canada, how long do I have before I have to apply for a PR, if I am going to remain there, do you know?
As a visitor to Canada, you have up to 6 months before you have to leave. Getting married doesn't really matter at all. You can apply to extend your visitor status or you can hop off to the US and see if they'll give you another 6 months when you come back but that's not really the way to stay in Canada since you would not have health care and would not be able to work.

It would be better for you to have your spouse sponsor you for PR as soon as you are married or shortly there after. I would recommend applying outland, that is use the forms for somebody not living in Canada and opt to have your application processed in the US. That way, you can have your PR in give or take 6 months and you can still travel back and forth while the application is being processed if you need to.

janchel

Jan 1, 2010
Leon said:
As a visitor to Canada, you have up to 6 months before you have to leave. Getting married doesn't really matter at all. You can apply to extend your visitor status or you can hop off to the US and see if they'll give you another 6 months when you come back but that's not really the way to stay in Canada since you would not have health care and would not be able to work.

It would be better for you to have your spouse sponsor you for PR as soon as you are married or shortly there after. I would recommend applying outland, that is use the forms for somebody not living in Canada and opt to have your application processed in the US. That way, you can have your PR in give or take 6 months and you can still travel back and forth while the application is being processed if you need to.
Thanks! It all seems so overwhelming. Are you saying if I apply while in Canada, I could not travel back and forth, or that there would be complications doign so?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Applying outland doesn't mean that you can't be in Canada. It only means that you opt for your application to be processed in the US. You get the PR faster that way.

If you opt for inland processing, that is using forms stating that you are living in Canada, you are opting for your application to be processed in Canada. In that case, it's not advised to leave Canada during the processing time because if for any reason they don't let you back in, you lose your application and all the waiting time you have put in. With an inland application, if all goes well, you will get a first stage approval and open work permit in about 6 months, that's the same time you'd be getting the actual PR with outland. With inland, if all goes well, you are getting your PR in a year to 18 months. However, if an inland goes badly, that is they have doubts about your relationship and want an interview, it can delay your processing by years. I have heard as long as 4.5 years where the sponsored is waiting, can't leave Canada, can't work, no health care.

janchel

Jan 1, 2010
Leon said:
Applying outland doesn't mean that you can't be in Canada. It only means that you opt for your application to be processed in the US. You get the PR faster that way.

If you opt for inland processing, that is using forms stating that you are living in Canada, you are opting for your application to be processed in Canada. In that case, it's not advised to leave Canada during the processing time because if for any reason they don't let you back in, you lose your application and all the waiting time you have put in. With an inland application, if all goes well, you will get a first stage approval and open work permit in about 6 months, that's the same time you'd be getting the actual PR with outland. With inland, if all goes well, you are getting your PR in a year to 18 months. However, if an inland goes badly, that is they have doubts about your relationship and want an interview, it can delay your processing by years. I have heard as long as 4.5 years where the sponsored is waiting, can't leave Canada, can't work, no health care.
WHEW...thanks for the INFO. ;D Alot to 'take in'...and consider.

janchel

Jan 1, 2010
Another question, Leon.....where do I get the papers to apply outland, while I am in Canada?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
janchel said:
Another question, Leon.....where do I get the papers to apply outland, while I am in Canada?
The same place you'd get them if you were not in Canada, that's at the CIC website, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It all depends on the state in question. Which state did you get married in? If that's how fast they are, it would be good for stressed people to know. :)

Suin said:
that's strange - we got our marriage certificate the same day we got married. and I have friends who were married in other states and got their marriage certificates the same day or maximum in two days.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
Karlshammar said:
It all depends on the state in question. Which state did you get married in? If that's how fast they are, it would be good for stressed people to know. :)
we were married in the New York state, got the marriage certificate the same day we got married. it usually takes from 1 up to 6 days depending on the state to get a marriage license, but marriage certificate one can obtain in person in the local court right the same day. I have friends who got the marriage certificate the same day in Michigan, Illinois and Washington DC.

janchel

Jan 1, 2010
If you go into Canada as a visitor, and then marry shortly thereafter, won't they think you went there for that purpose?..(to marry). Would that effect their decision in the process? I have heard that you cannot go in with the intent on getting married. How long then, would one have to remain unmarried, for that not to be a problem? In my situation, there is no real time line as to a marriage, I am just wondering...thanks in advance.