+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Seeking asylum in Canada while you have valid US visit visa?

Pindi_Girl

May 11, 2014
A friend of mine (mature female) is considering to seek asylum (on religious grounds) in Canada. She still holds a valid visit visa to US. After discussing with friends it seems Canada is the best option for her since she has friends in Canada but knows no one in USA.

Can she still apply for asylum in Canada or should she go to US and seek asylum there?
Does this make her case weak if she goes to Canada instead of US?

rafe_lovely

Star Member
Jul 18, 2013
she can seek asylum in canada and make her case strong having good knowledge about canada culture. I hope she can easily get asylum in canada. USA visa will not make any issue.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
rafe_lovely said:
she can seek asylum in canada and make her case strong having good knowledge about canada culture. I hope she can easily get asylum in canada. USA visa will not make any issue.
Having good knowledge about Canada and it's culture won't make her asylum application stronger. It won't make any difference to her application.

If she has used her USA visa recently to visit the US it could cast doubt on the genuineness of her asylum application in Canada since the obvious question will be why didn't she claim asylum there if she was really in a bad situation.

If she wants to claim asylum in Canada, she should not enter the US and then apply for asylum at a Canadian land border. She should enter Canada directly (i.e. fly directly to Canada). The Third Country Agreement states that you must claim asylum in the first safe country you reach.

gosia

Apr 26, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-08-2010
Doc's Request.
26-05-2011
File Transfer...
15-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Decision made April 15, 2013
LANDED..........
20-06-2013
scylla said:
Having good knowledge about Canada and it's culture won't make her asylum application stronger. It won't make any difference to her application.

If she has used her USA visa recently to visit the US it could cast doubt on the genuineness of her asylum application in Canada since the obvious question will be why didn't she claim asylum there if she was really in a bad situation.

If she wants to claim asylum in Canada, she should not enter the US and then apply for asylum at a Canadian land border. She should enter Canada directly (i.e. fly directly to Canada). The Third Country Agreement states that you must claim asylum in the first safe country you reach.
yes that's right, if she has visited US already, then she should claim her asylum there -this is because of the new safe 3rd party agreement.