+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

second time pr card renewal on h&c grounds.

nikcho

Star Member
Nov 25, 2013
We landed canada in april 2010.
I could not complete my 2 yrs time but my PR Card was renewed on human grounds . Renewed card will expire in march 2021. Again due to my family problems i will not be able to complete my required 2 yrs in canada. Pl help in telling that...
1. Can they renew my PR Card on same grounds again?
2. From which date they wl consider my new time 5 yrs block ..i mean for calculating new time period for renewal.? From my landing date or from pr card renewal date.
3.when should i apply for renewal?
Can i apply from outside canada also.?
4.my PR card expires in 2021 but my 5 yrs complete in 2011. So when i need to apply.?

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
We landed canada in april 2010.
I could not complete my 2 yrs time but my PR Card was renewed on human grounds . Renewed card will expire in march 2021. Again due to my family problems i will not be able to complete my required 2 yrs in canada. Pl help in telling that...
1. Can they renew my PR Card on same grounds again?
2. From which date they wl consider my new time 5 yrs block ..i mean for calculating new time period for renewal.? From my landing date or from pr card renewal date.
3.when should i apply for renewal?
Can i apply from outside canada also.?
4.my PR card expires in 2021 but my 5 yrs complete in 2011. So when i need to apply.?
You card isn't due for renewal until 2021, so you don't need to worry about applying now. you also have sufficient time remaining to live in Canada and establish the minimum residency required to renew your PR status without having to rely on H&C grounds. My advice would be to move to Canada if you truly want to live there, and if not, then give up the PR. It is highly unlikely that they will renew your card again based on the same grounds as last time.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can also comment but my view

Probably zero chance of using H&C reasons again that was probably a one time opportunity and now you are expected to live in Canada and meet your residency obligation

You cannot apply to renew a card from outside Canada

After the first 5 years from landing the residency period becomes a rolling 5 years where must have been resident for a minimum of 730 days in the preceeding 5 years

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5445ETOC.asp#appendixA

As per previous poster implied maybe Canada is not for you and whilst you are not obliged to give up your PR status accumulating failed RO either when returning to Canada or applying for a new PR card could end up having PR revoked eventually.

Last edited:

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Probably zero chance of using H&C reasons again that was probably a one time opportunity and now you are expected to live in Canada and meet your residency obligation
Agreed. OP would probably have been in a better position if they had not applied to renew under H&C until their obligation/issues at home were completely resolved and had left the card as expired until that time. If they have already received H&C once and have not made any effort to settle in Canada, I see no chance for a successful second application and depending on how long they have beeen out of Canada to date, they are likely in violation of RO now.