+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Second Masters / Very similar course

Dec 30, 2015
I hold a MA degree ( Mass Communication and Journalism )completed in 2015.
I am planning to apply for a course in University of Calgary-'Communication, Media and Film' to be precise.
They have a Phd and a Masters program for this course.
I should be applying for a Phd but that requires sending them a synopsis and getting their approval.
The last date to apply is 15th January.
If i apply for Masters again, can they reject me on the grounds that it is very similar to your Masters from India or can i mention in my SOP that there wasn't enough exposure.

Papa Bomboy

Jan 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have seen someone rejected on the grounds that he already had a Masters and was going for a PGD with no concrete reason. But nothing really like you case.

I think it is really up to you to convince them.

Why are you going for another masters program in Canada quite similar to what you already have?

How is the Masters program in Canada different from the one you have?

You have to be very convincing because your case is very unique. It raises eyebrows to be honest. If you can do the Phd option once and get it right I would say go for it instead of taking a chance.

That's my perspective but others in the forum may probably have a better idea so wait on them

All the best my friend.

Dec 30, 2015
Papa Bomboy said:
I have seen someone rejected on the grounds that he already had a Masters and was going for a PGD with no concrete reason. But nothing really like you case.

I think it is really up to you to convince them.

Why are you going for another masters program in Canada quite similar to what you already have?

How is the Masters program in Canada different from the one you have?

You have to be very convincing because your case is very unique. It raises eyebrows to be honest. If you can do the Phd option once and get it right I would say go for it instead of taking a chance.

That's my perspective but others in the forum may probably have a better idea so wait on them

All the best my friend.
Thanks.
I realise that i should be applying for Phd but that would take alot of time to complete and the research topic has to be really good to convince them to even consider you.
I am planning to apply for both the courses.
In case i get letter of acceptance for Phd then it would be great, or else I am planning to go ahead with Masters provided i get a letter of acceptance for that ::) .
What all can i possibly include in the SOP.
The course sounds similar to the Masters done here in India but the subjects in the course are very different from each other.
Does anyone have an idea about how many times do they take intake for a Masters Program in University of Calgary ?
What kind of topics would be considered good for research purposes specially related to communications and media?

Asking for a lot of details
Thanks in advance

Dec 30, 2015
Also in case i apply for Masters again, I can always raise the point that i wanted to fulfil the 4th year of undergraduate studies and prepare myself for the research that i planned to carry and thats why i went ahead with my MA in Mass Comm and Journalism here in India.

Does this sound like solid reasoning ?

any help would be appreciated