+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Search of citizenship records

NextStop

Sep 4, 2023
Hello everyone,

I have a question and would appreciate some insight on this. I am currently outside of Canada, I am a dual citizen (Canadian by naturlization), and forgot my citizenship certificate back home, I do have my passport and wanted to be proactive to have my citizenship certificate with me so I attempted to apply for another one while abroad. Instead of applying for proof of citizenship I applied for Search of citizenship records by mistake. Now my question is what is this good for?, and of course another question that might sound stupid. This won't affect my citizenship status and I can just submit a second application to get a citizenship certificate to have on me?

Thank you for advnace and sorry if the questions seem naive or stupid.

Kind regards.

Last edited:

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hello everyone,

I have a question and would appreciate some insight on this. I am currently outside of Canada, I am a dual citizen (Canadian by naturlization), and forgot my citizenship certificate back home, I do have my passport and wanted to be proactive to have my citizenship certificate with me so I attempted to apply for another one while abroad. Instead of applying for proof of citizenship I applied for Search of citizenship records by mistake. Now my question is what is this good for?, and of course another question that might sound stupid. This won't affect my citizenship status and I can just submit a second application to get a citizenship certificate to have on me?

Kind regards.
You know right the processing time to get proof of citizenship is 10 months and more if applying from outside Canada. You can get it delivered faster from home instead of applying for one.

NextStop

Sep 4, 2023
You know right the processing time to get proof of citizenship is 10 months and more if applying from outside Canada. You can get it delivered faster from home instead of applying for one.
Hello forw,

I thought about this. However, I am stuck due to work in the UAE for another year and I can’t go back home yet. This is why I thought to apply for a new one.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hello forw,

I thought about this. However, I am stuck due to work in the UAE for another year and I can’t go back home yet. This is why I thought to apply for a new one.
Do you have any activity planned for which you need the certificate for another year?

Moreover you are in UAE, not in some remote country. FedEx or friends or relative can get it for you safely.

Applying for new one is not worth it when you already have one.

Reactions: desmat

NextStop

Sep 4, 2023
You don't need proof of citizenship for passport renewal even if doing it outside Canada
Fantastic, that is a relief at least. Thank you. Just curious now about the search of citizenship record and what it is actually used for and if it will affect my current citizenship status

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
Hello everyone,

Kind regards.
Just wanted to point out that you are not allowed to have more than one government-issued citizenship document. If you attempted to obtain another one by saying it was lost or destroyed, your current certificate would have been cancelled. If you want to be able to have it with you when traveling, then you should consider replacing your current paper certificate with an e-certificate.

NextStop

Sep 4, 2023
Just wanted to point out that you are not allowed to have more than one government-issued citizenship document. If you attempted to obtain another one by saying it was lost or destroyed, your current certificate would have been cancelled. If you want to be able to have it with you when traveling, then you should consider replacing your current paper certificate with an e-certificate.
Thank you Hawk for the heads up. As Frow pointed out I won't need my citizenship certificate to renew my passport abroad I won't need to be getting a new one after all.