+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Same-Sex relationship sponsorship

christina8604

Dec 8, 2012
Hello Everyone, I have posted this message in a different thread so I am reposting this as a new topic for discution. First of all I would like to mention I am a very proud Canadian that my country recognizes rights of same and opposite sex partners.

I have a few questions regarding sponsoring my American partner. I am involved in a same-sex relationship. I met my partner 7years ago online. Over the years our friendship grew and grew. I have gone to visit her many times over the last 2 years. Although in this time we both had romantic different relationships that never worked out, we had very strong feelings for each other. We never acted on anything because of the distance. Neither of us were willing to jeopardize our friendship by confessing our true feelings. We have recently took the risk to express our feelings for each other and wow! Ive never been more happy, I am so grateful that we took the chance.

SO my situation is, I will be sponsoring my same sex partner whom i met online. So while filling out my application under the section of when we met, do i put the date of which we physically met? OR the date of 7years ago when we first contacted one another?

Has anyone discovered a way to provide phone proof when you talk mostly via skype or phone cards? Neither Canada or USA have reasonable rates for long distance calling so we always use phone cards an/or skype.

Another issue is my family is very anti-gay so I have not "come out" to them. Ive had more or less a "dont ask dont tell" attitude about it. My partner on the other hand has come out to her family and they all know about me and have met me. Does it make any difference if the letters to prove our genuine relationship will all be coming from her side of the family/friends?

Good luck to everyone and happy waiting!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What kind of application are you submitting for your same sex partner? Are you married now? Or are you common law (i.e. have lived together for a minimum of one full year)? Any chance you're planning to sponsor your partner via the conjugal class?

And where is your partner located? In the US?

christina8604

Dec 8, 2012
Hello!

My partner is from Nebraska,USA. We are not currently living together we plan on marrying within a years time. I have just begun my research on this process so I'm still gathering the facts and trying to decide what will work best for us.

chipits

Sep 24, 2012
christina8604 said:
Hello!

My partner is from Nebraska,USA. We are not currently living together we plan on marrying within a years time. I have just begun my research on this process so I'm still gathering the facts and trying to decide what will work best for us.
If you're not currently living together, you won't be able to sponsor your girlfriend until you have married. There is a conjugal class, but there is basically no chance that you'll be approved (it is for people who, for whatever reasons, cannot be married or in a common law relationship).

It sounds like the best way to move forward will be to apply once you marry your girlfriend.

Once you have done that, you'll have to choose whether to apply inland or outland. "Inland" applications are for those done inside Canada. You could have your new wife cross the border, then submit the application. At the moment it is taking 14 months to process these applications. The upside is that after the first stage is finished, currently six months, your new wife would be able to get a work permit. The downside is that if she went back to the States (or any other country) and then was denied access back into Canada, your application for permanent residency would be abandoned.

"Outland" applications are when you apply through the United States. Your wife can still come and visit you in Canada (or live with you even, as a visitor) while this process is ongoing, but she cannot get a work permit until she has her permanent residency. For Americans right now it's taking about 13 months to process these applications, so it's slightly faster than inland but not much. Your wife would also be able to travel wherever she wants without worrying about the application being abandoned.

It all depends on your situation, and you'll have to make that choice :)

Isometry

Aug 18, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo-->Seattle
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 28 2011
File Transfer...
Jan 9 2012-->Feb 9 2012
Med's Done....
Sept 19 2011
Passport Req..
March 21 2012
VISA ISSUED...
April 21 2012
LANDED..........
May 17th 2012
christina8604 said:
SO my situation is, I will be sponsoring my same sex partner whom i met online. So while filling out my application under the section of when we met, do i put the date of which we physically met? OR the date of 7years ago when we first contacted one another?
For 5490, there's a question asking when you first contacted your sponsor and how (phone, internet, etc). For this question, you'd put the date 7 years ago. The next question asks when you met in person, and for this one you'd put the date your first met in person. If you're looking at a different form, then it would depend on exactly how the question is phrased.

Has anyone discovered a way to provide phone proof when you talk mostly via skype or phone cards? Neither Canada or USA have reasonable rates for long distance calling so we always use phone cards an/or skype.
Some phone cards can provide a call history. Skype can provide a call history as well, which I believe goes back 6 months. Since you're not planning to apply for a while, get the 6 months of Skype history that you can now, and then every 6 months get it again so that you'll have as much as possible when you apply. If you can't provide any real concrete proof going back all 7 years, don't worry. Many of us don't have any tangible evidence that goes all the way back to when we first met one another.

Another issue is my family is very anti-gay so I have not "come out" to them. Ive had more or less a "dont ask dont tell" attitude about it. My partner on the other hand has come out to her family and they all know about me and have met me. Does it make any difference if the letters to prove our genuine relationship will all be coming from her side of the family/friends?
No, this makes no difference. For a spousal application, these letters aren't even required at all, though they can help when added to the rest of your relationship proof. In my case, we had only 2 letters, and neither one was from a family member.

Good luck with everything!

blueboom

Aug 19, 2012
Toronto
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
September 27, 2012
File Transfer...
November 7, 2012
Med's Done....
August 27, 2012
Interview........
waived (DM April 19, 2013)
Passport Req..
May 2, 2013 (non visa-exempt)
VISA ISSUED...
June 11, 2013
LANDED..........
June 23, 2013
Re: phone calls, if you and your partner have smartphones, you can try mobilevoip. We submitted the call record as our proof.

christina8604

Dec 8, 2012
Thank you everyone for your helpful information! I have discovered more on this site in the last 24hrs than I have with hours of research! Its nice to talk to people who can explain it and not try to figure out legal jargin.

I have another question, I am going to see my partner for 2 weeks in January. Is it a good idea to tell the border guards I am going to see my partner? Its my understanding they are more strict because they are worried I am going to look for work (which is not my scenario) Its my understanding that you can bring things such as confirmation of employment letter from work, bank statements, and school papers to prove that you plan on returning, what other things can I bring to support that I am not planning on staying? I have no mortgage or rent documentation.

I am only concerned about this because 7years ago I was denied entry into America because they felt I was going to look for work. I have since been to and from the USA many times.

Canuck20

Nov 5, 2012
Beaverton, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16/08/2012
AOR Received.
NA
File Transfer...
24/09/2012
Med's Done....
24/07/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19/02/2013
VISA ISSUED...
9/05/2013
LANDED..........
24/05/2013
christina8604 said:
Thank you everyone for your helpful information! I have discovered more on this site in the last 24hrs than I have with hours of research! Its nice to talk to people who can explain it and not try to figure out legal jargin.

I have another question, I am going to see my partner for 2 weeks in January. Is it a good idea to tell the border guards I am going to see my partner? Its my understanding they are more strict because they are worried I am going to look for work (which is not my scenario) Its my understanding that you can bring things such as confirmation of employment letter from work, bank statements, and school papers to prove that you plan on returning, what other things can I bring to support that I am not planning on staying? I have no mortgage or rent documentation.

I am only concerned about this because 7years ago I was denied entry into America because they felt I was going to look for work. I have since been to and from the USA many times.

Are you flying? You will have a return ticket to show if you are.

I experienced the same problem going into the States once as well. I was driving across the border and they were sure I was on my way to live in the States. I was so tempted to say to them "Why would I want to live in the USA? I already live in the best country in the world." Of course I didn't but it was certainly going through my mind.

christina8604

Dec 8, 2012
I am driving across into Washington and flying from there, saved me about $300. But a return flight out of her state probably will help some. I plan on bringing pay stubs, confirmation of employment, some bills, flight iteneraries, and my bank statements to show I have enough $ to support myself for 2 weeks.

Is it a good idea to say she's my gf or just say a friend?

And yes we most definately live in the best country!

Canuck20

Nov 5, 2012
Beaverton, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16/08/2012
AOR Received.
NA
File Transfer...
24/09/2012
Med's Done....
24/07/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19/02/2013
VISA ISSUED...
9/05/2013
LANDED..........
24/05/2013
christina8604 said:
I am driving across into Washington and flying from there, saved me about $300. But a return flight out of her state probably will help some. I plan on bringing pay stubs, confirmation of employment, some bills, flight iteneraries, and my bank statements to show I have enough $ to support myself for 2 weeks.

Is it a good idea to say she's my gf or just say a friend?

And yes we most definately live in the best country!
Your return flight ticket back to Washington should work but the other documents are good too. Especially proof of employment and bank statements.

I would be inclined to say that I was going to visit a friend. You will probably get asked how you know this person and how you met.

christina8604

Dec 8, 2012
The previous times I have crossed I've indicated it was to see a friend and they asked how do I have a friend from Omaha, I said through a friend of a friend. I've never stayed longer than a week so I'm certain they'll ask what the heck there is to do there for 2 weeks in Omaha.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
christina8604 said:
The previous times I have crossed I've indicated it was to see a friend and they asked how do I have a friend from Omaha, I said through a friend of a friend. I've never stayed longer than a week so I'm certain they'll ask what the heck there is to do there for 2 weeks in Omaha.
Watch corn grow, of course.

If there's any festivals or community events going on during your visit, make plans to attend and you can also list that as a reason for going.

I always say I'm visiting family and list my husband's family as who I'm visiting. However, if they outright ask if you're visiting a romantic partner, it is best practice to say yes, among the people I am visiting is my girl/boyfriend.