+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RO obligation not met but Family is already in Canada

omqtcad

Sep 18, 2014
Hi,

Me and my family got Canadian PR about 3 years back. Since then we only spent initial couple of months there and came back. Now since the max we could stay outside Canada is 3 years, my wife and kids have moved to Canada permanently. I do plan to join them but its hugely dependent of whether I can get a similar job.

Now since I'm into my last 2 years, and have stayed only 60 days in Canada, what options do I have if they revoke my PR status the next time I try to enter Canada after getting a job? Do they give any favors, if all members of the family except me are living there? Can they let me keep my PR instead of revoking ?

Secondly, if they revoke, can I get it again, based on my wife's PR as she is already living there or I have to wait for her nationality ?

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
omqtcad said:
Now since I'm into my last 2 years, and have stayed only 60 days in Canada, what options do I have if they revoke my PR status the next time I try to enter Canada after getting a job? Do they give any favors, if all members of the family except me are living there? Can they let me keep my PR instead of revoking ?

Secondly, if they revoke, can I get it again, based on my wife's PR as she is already living there or I have to wait for her nationality ?
There are no special rules regardless of whether your family is here or not. If you get reported, you will lose your PR. The good news is that your wife can re-sponsor you, if required. She does not need to wait to become a citizen to do so.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
omqtcad said:
Hi,

Me and my family got Canadian PR about 3 years back. Since then we only spent initial couple of months there and came back. Now since the max we could stay outside Canada is 3 years, my wife and kids have moved to Canada permanently. I do plan to join them but its hugely dependent of whether I can get a similar job.

Having immediate family in Canada can help you in not losing your PR. It is no guarantee however.

If you do get your PR revoked, your wife can always sponsor you - as long as she meets her RO.

omqtcad

Sep 18, 2014
Hi torontosm & keesio,

First of all thank you so much for your response, really appreciate that.

Secondly do you know how long does it takes if my wife re-sponsors me as she is living in Toronto and fulfilling her RO requirments along with my kids?

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
omqtcad said:
Secondly do you know how long does it takes if my wife re-sponsors me as she is living in Toronto and fulfilling her RO requirments along with my kids?
It would depend on which visa office the application was processed through.

crewbunk

Star Member
May 6, 2014
i have one question regarding this topic. If my wife and my kid stay in Canada and meet the RO but I stay in my home town to work. It is possible for my wife to make an application to sponsor me back to get a PR after she meet the citizenship?

The problem is, we are planning to let me stay at home town to work for few more years first, and have my wife and my kid to get the citizenship asap. Will CIC reject me since I do not meet the obligation of being PR at the beginning and not allow me to get sponsored ?

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
crewbunk said:
i have one question regarding this topic. If my wife and my kid stay in Canada and meet the RO but I stay in my home town to work. It is possible for my wife to make an application to sponsor me back to get a PR after she meet the citizenship?

The problem is, we are planning to let me stay at home town to work for few more years first, and have my wife and my kid to get the citizenship asap. Will CIC reject me since I do not meet the obligation of being PR at the beginning and not allow me to get sponsored ?
If you lose your PR, she can sponsor you. She doesn't have to wait until she becomes a citizen. She can sponsor you as a PR.