+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ring taxed while traveling

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

210045803 said:
carry a receipt because you can't prove you paid taxes otherwise...looks like we will no longer travel with expensive stuff anymore...ridiculous what the world has come to...i am more bothered at the fact that after this whole ordeal i said how do we prove we paid duties so next time this doesn't happen...carrying a receipt for the rest of our lives is ridiculous...he said let's worry about one thing at a time.

it had nothing to do with her and she ended up paying the taxes on it...she received it because i proposed to her with it in her own country...furthermore this is an invasion of privacy...what if it was a secret where i bought it at and how much i paid (which it was private)...he had the nerve to say i'll fold the receipt so she doesn't have to read how much you paid yet she will see how much it was taxed....
Come on, "invasion of privacy'"? You bought a ring, it was brought into Canada without it being declared or duty and taxes being paid. By the way you can actually complete a form at Canada customs detailing jewelry bought in Canada or imported as well as other high priced items and they are listed on a card, which you show when Customs asks where you got an item.

Star Member
Dec 28, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 3, 2011
AOR Received.
March 9, 2011
Passport Req..
24-05-2013
PMM said:
Hi

Come on, "invasion of privacy'"? You bought a ring, it was brought into Canada without it being declared or duty and taxes being paid. By the way you can actually complete a form at Canada customs detailing jewelry bought in Canada or imported as well as other high priced items and they are listed on a card, which you show when Customs asks where you got an item.
what does this have to do with her? She didn't know how much I paid or where I got it. Why should she pay duties on it? We were not traveling together. I was in the united states she was landing in her home country. When I offered to pay over the phone he said it is unacceptable. She should not have been hastled because she did nothing.

nylalisa

Jan 2, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-12-2010
Doc's Request.
31-01-2011 (additional doc request)
AOR Received.
17-01-2011
File Transfer...
06-01-2011
Med's Request
30-03-2011
Med's Done....
21-10-2010
Interview........
30-03-2011 (Passed and approved same day)
Passport Req..
01-25-2011
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2011 (Received 09-04-2011)
LANDED..........
13-04-2011
210045803 said:
she has had this ring for 10 months...she has travelled with it back and forth for the 10 months...she left canada with it...she returned to canada with it...she is a canadian citizen...she didn't do anything wrong...then to bill her on a ring that she doesn't even know the purchase price of is ridiculous...also the ring has scratches on the band because you can tell she's been wearing it...she wasn't trying to smuggle anything in, on top of it he taxed the wedding band too...
I completely understand what you are saying but the fact is, you never get the same border guard, so they aren't to know when someone is wearing jewellery that is old. Secondly, that is the number 1 thing everyone says that is something they brought from home and that they didn't purchase it abroad. People do this with large ticket items all the time. Unfortunately, your fiance was telling the truth but how are they to know who is telling the truth for certain and who is trying to get through tax free. One thing they do to try and eliminate hassle as PMM said was to have declaration card filled out about valuables you are leaving the country with (ie laptops, cameras, jewellery). That was there is a record that you in fact travelled out of Canada with it and it's your.

Secondly, your exemption for giving a gift to someone is 60$ above this you pay duty. If the ring was purchased outside of Canada and brought here, you were suppose to declare it and pay duty, at which time you would be given a receipt so that you are not taxed again. I know she doesn't know the cost of the ring, yet these are the laws people are subjected to. She doesn't know the cost, just as the border doesn't know she didnt purchase it while travelling abraod unless she has the dec of valuable goods.

fleo

Star Member
Nov 27, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-01-2011
Med's Done....
23-12-2010
PMM said:
By the way you can actually complete a form at Canada customs detailing jewelry bought in Canada or imported as well as other high priced items and they are listed on a card, which you show when Customs asks where you got an item.
You can. But with jewellery - because it's hard to identify and border officers are not experts when it comes to it, and it's not unique but people don't really want those stickers on it - you can't put it on the Y38 form unless you previously obtain an appraisal report together with dated photographs of the item and original receipt, if applicable. Which is a lot of trouble and costs money, although it would make sense to do if you travel frequently with a single piece of jewellery. (Y38, they tell me, is a smallish thing easily fit into one's wallet.)

However, useful info: customs-working friend tells me that most jewellers at the airport can do an appraisal for you on the spot and customs will accept that as sufficient proof for temporary exportation. So if you ever remember this at the very last minute... well, do the responsible thing :)

I'm still very curious about the by-the-book aspects of this, though. It's true that people say all kinds of things to get off the customs hook, but in this particular case the officer checked with the husband who admittedly bought the ring, and then merely took his word for its value... and then someone else paid the fees *scratches head* Unless there is something the OP is not telling us, of course.

Hey, I could do that next time I file my taxes! Won't even bother with the forms, just write a nice note. "Dear government, last year I made 35,000$ and had 20,000$ of daycare expenses for my child. Since this is how taxes are done in Canada, please give me back eleventy bajillion dollars without any type of proof. Or maybe you could make the daycare pay me back, since they caused the expense in the first place? Whatever works for you. Thanks."

See, who ever said taxes have to be hard! *end of sarcasm*

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think that most people are unaware of the rules on these matters.
When someone unknowingly breaks the rules and gets caught, they are not normally happy with the consequences.
There are two parts to this, firstly the item had not been taxed and it should have been months ago.
Secondly, the way in which this incident was processed seems to be extreme to many people.
But as the OP pointed out, they can charge you " up to 3x because of penalties ", the officer did not do this (so I certainly don't think he pushed things to the maximum).

As PMM suggested there is no "invasion of privacy" here.
Failing to pay the taxes is smuggling, I don't think that the OP or his wife wife had that intent at all, however ignorance of the rules is no defence.

I doubt that the OP will get any further with this by filing a complaint, tax was due, it is now paid.
If the OP had declared the item and paid tax when he first brought the ring to Canada his wife would not have been placed in this situation.

Of course he could have supported the Canadian economy and bought it here :)

waitingintz

Jul 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2010
Doc's Request.
01-11-2010
AOR Received.
28-09-2010
File Transfer...
24-08-2010
Med's Done....
22-06-2010
Interview........
waived!!
Passport Req..
16-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
22/02/2011
LANDED..........
19-5-2011 (hopefully!)
Oh Baloo...
you made me smile :)

I'd be pretty upset if it happened to me so thanks to the OP for making sure none of us make the same mistake!

Star Member
Dec 28, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 3, 2011
AOR Received.
March 9, 2011
Passport Req..
24-05-2013
fleo said:
You can. But with jewellery - because it's hard to identify and border officers are not experts when it comes to it, and it's not unique but people don't really want those stickers on it - you can't put it on the Y38 form unless you previously obtain an appraisal report together with dated photographs of the item and original receipt, if applicable. Which is a lot of trouble and costs money, although it would make sense to do if you travel frequently with a single piece of jewellery. (Y38, they tell me, is a smallish thing easily fit into one's wallet.)

However, useful info: customs-working friend tells me that most jewellers at the airport can do an appraisal for you on the spot and customs will accept that as sufficient proof for temporary exportation. So if you ever remember this at the very last minute... well, do the responsible thing :)

I'm still very curious about the by-the-book aspects of this, though. It's true that people say all kinds of things to get off the customs hook, but in this particular case the officer checked with the husband who admittedly bought the ring, and then merely took his word for its value... and then someone else paid the fees *scratches head* Unless there is something the OP is not telling us, of course.

Hey, I could do that next time I file my taxes! Won't even bother with the forms, just write a nice note. "Dear government, last year I made 35,000$ and had 20,000$ of daycare expenses for my child. Since this is how taxes are done in Canada, please give me back eleventy bajillion dollars without any type of proof. Or maybe you could make the daycare pay me back, since they caused the expense in the first place? Whatever works for you. Thanks."

See, who ever said taxes have to be hard! *end of sarcasm*
nope that is pretty much what happened. he did say if he felt i was lying he would do such and such, but i guess because the value i said was high he believed it. i said it is appraised higher though but i paid less than the appraisal.

also at that time we were actually going to move to the states but changed our mind for various reasons. we had told the truth to the us border guard (and said we were uncertain but she is visiting for 2-3 months) but she had excessive belongings with her so he refused her entry. at that point she was flagged and i decided to move there. now let's say we stuck to the original plan and she moved here and i knew the ring was going to be in canada for about 6 months i would have to have declared it no matter what right? You don't get reimbursed if you bring it back to the original country do you? I really did it on accident and I guess he knew that so he didn't penalize me. I don't think I was flagged either. Is it even possible to flag over the phone? I drove there and didn't think about declaring it so yea it is my fault. I was just nervous about the proposal and how to do it. I just am trying to understand the rules better. As I told the guy on the phone I don't want any trouble I also in the back of my mind didn't want to be flagged I just wanted to do the right thing. I just felt bad because I made the mistake and she got in trouble so i wanted to pay over the phone

Star Member
Dec 28, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 3, 2011
AOR Received.
March 9, 2011
Passport Req..
24-05-2013
UPDATE:

Just got a letter today that they will be refunding the taxes on the wedding ring and band...she just sent a letter explaining she has had the ring and showed a few pictures and they approved it.

:) :)

mittens

Star Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2011
Med's Done....
20-04-2011
yeah! i do like a happy ending... :D

Star Member
Dec 28, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 3, 2011
AOR Received.
March 9, 2011
Passport Req..
24-05-2013
mittens said:
yeah! i do like a happy ending... :D
me too...the lady who approved it also sent back the pictures and said we have enclosed your wedding pictures as they are your property and was very nice about it

Shaikhzees

Star Member
Aug 17, 2012
Documentation of Goods for Temporary Exportation

The below link outlines the conditions under which goods being temporarily exported by individuals may be documented to facilitate their reimportation into Canada :

http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-6-5-eng.html

Hope this helps

0033Irene

Jun 8, 2017
My niece took my mother's engagement ring to Switzerland from Canada in January We would like to bring it back to Canada. Will there be duties. We do not have an appraisal