+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Right time to apply for PR card renewal

Supri_Niski

May 11, 2015
I will be completing 730 days on June 03 and plan to apply for PR card renewal on URGENT basis either on June 15 or June 22. I have booked my ticket on August 10th (returning Sept 12th). So I am thinking when I should put my application?

1. If I apply on June 15th then CIC will have around 45 days (assuming 10 days for postal deliveries to and fro) but I will have around 742 days presence in Canada

2. If I apply on June 22nd then I will have ~750 days presence but CIC will have only 38 days to process my application. I am afraid that looking at a smaller time window they might put my application in Normal processing rather then URGENT processing.

So which option is better? PLEASE ADVISE.

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
It may take more time if it goes for secondary review.

Supri_Niski

May 11, 2015
ttrajan said:
It may take more time if it goes for secondary review.
I am aware of that. Could you please let me know which option will be better IF I ASSUME IT WILL NOT GO UNDER SECONDARY REVIEW?

AJK_9

Jun 30, 2012
here you go

1 - Color Copy of passport - ALL PAGES

2 - Proof of Residence - Bank Stat / CC Stat / Lease / Insurance etc

3 - If you visited any place outside Canada than Exit/Entry Records

All the Best

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
Option 2 will be better. If you have visa exempt passport, then no problem in coming back without pr card. Or you need to arrange for TD for returning. Now normal processing time is 80 days.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The processing time for a TD depends on the visa office and it can get delayed too in some cases. If you want to avoid the risk of being stuck outside Canada unable to return while waiting for something to come through, PR card or TD, you should postpone your trip until after you get the card.

This is of course not an issue if you are visa exempt. Then you can return without a PR card with your visa exempt passport.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Supri_Niski said:
I will be completing 730 days on June 03 and plan to apply for PR card renewal on URGENT basis either on June 15 or June 22. I have booked my ticket on August 10th (returning Sept 12th). So I am thinking when I should put my application?

1. If I apply on June 15th then CIC will have around 45 days (assuming 10 days for postal deliveries to and fro) but I will have around 742 days presence in Canada

2. If I apply on June 22nd then I will have ~750 days presence but CIC will have only 38 days to process my application. I am afraid that looking at a smaller time window they might put my application in Normal processing rather then URGENT processing.

So which option is better? PLEASE ADVISE.
Most of what is relevant to this query has already been answered in response to your previous similar query:

Supri_Niski said:
. . . I am planning to apply for PR renewal just after completing 740 days. My PR card has expired 1.5 years back and last time I entered Canada with expired PR card and PRTD APPROVED on H&C grounds. I am in big dilemma whether I should go for URGENT processing or NOT.. I DO NOT want secondary review at any COST

. . . .
The main question remains whether or not the application will actually be given urgent processing, routine processing, or referred for secondary review.

Waiting an additional ten or twenty days to make the application is not likely to have much if any impact on whether the application is given urgent processing or referred to secondary review.

I do not know with any degree of certainty, but my sense is that an application for a PR card on an urgent basis, by an applicant who has spent less than half his or her time in Canada in the last five years, has a substantially elevated risk for secondary review. And while the extent of the margin over 730 days presence is probably a significant factor, the smaller the margin the greater the risk, I doubt 742 versus 760 days means much in this.

As I have noted elsewhere, the fact that a PR Travel Document was issued based on H & C grounds is probably a big positive factor, in at least two respects: as you have otherwise noted, that entailed an assessment of presence in Canada up to that time, and it also in effect constituted an adjudication that you were sufficiently in compliance with your obligations to justify retention of PR status.

I am NO expert. I do not know how the PR TD will actually influence a current application for a PR card. There is little doubt that even if you waited until you have 760 days presence (within the last five years of course), the odds of not getting urgent processing but rather being referred for a secondary review would be very high EXCEPT for the fact you were issued the PR TD within the last two years or so . . . I cannot say, however, whether the PR TD will make enough of a difference to avoid a referral for secondary review.

Otherwise, processing times vary widely, even for those actually given urgent processing,. The amount of time application processing takes can vary a great deal from this month to the next, and it will often vary significantly comparing one person's timeline to that of another even if they applied they same day. Trying to forecast how long it will take within a matter of days is not feasible.

Supri_Niski

May 11, 2015
dpenabill said:
Most of what is relevant to this query has already been answered in response to your previous similar query:

The main question remains whether or not the application will actually be given urgent processing, routine processing, or referred for secondary review.

Waiting an additional ten or twenty days to make the application is not likely to have much if any impact on whether the application is given urgent processing or referred to secondary review.

I do not know with any degree of certainty, but my sense is that an application for a PR card on an urgent basis, by an applicant who has spent less than half his or her time in Canada in the last five years, has a substantially elevated risk for secondary review. And while the extent of the margin over 730 days presence is probably a significant factor, the smaller the margin the greater the risk, I doubt 742 versus 760 days means much in this.

As I have noted elsewhere, the fact that a PR Travel Document was issued based on H & C grounds is probably a big positive factor, in at least two respects: as you have otherwise noted, that entailed an assessment of presence in Canada up to that time, and it also in effect constituted an adjudication that you were sufficiently in compliance with your obligations to justify retention of PR status.

I am NO expert. I do not know how the PR TD will actually influence a current application for a PR card. There is little doubt that even if you waited until you have 760 days presence (within the last five years of course), the odds of not getting urgent processing but rather being referred for a secondary review would be very high EXCEPT for the fact you were issued the PR TD within the last two years or so . . . I cannot say, however, whether the PR TD will make enough of a difference to avoid a referral for secondary review.

Otherwise, processing times vary widely, even for those actually given urgent processing,. The amount of time application processing takes can vary a great deal from this month to the next, and it will often vary significantly comparing one person's timeline to that of another even if they applied they same day. Trying to forecast how long it will take within a matter of days is not feasible.
Thanks for the detail reply. I am also NOT an expert, but have couple of my own views.

When PRTD is approved on H&C grounds, that means definitely you have NOT met 730 days in last 5 years. So when immigration officer approves PRTD on H&C grounds does he look into how many days applicant has spent in Canada in last 5 years? or he/she makes decision purely based on situation? Morever decision on PRTD is made by CIC in one's country and I am wondering if that information is accessible to the CIC offices in Canada.

One of the MAIN reason I have seen people have got secondary review (whether URGENT or NON-Urgent processing) is too many entry/exits from Canada and missing stamps on passports, Stamps NOT in English OR unclear photocopies. For that matter I am fortunate enough that I have only one exit and 2 entries in Canada, all my stamps are in English and I have Boarding passes, tickets and Luggage tags to match the stamps on passport. This doesn't guarantee the surety of anything, but I assume this should help big way when officer makes decision.

I am NOT convinced by your statement "but my sense is that an application for a PR card on an urgent basis, by an applicant who has spent less than half his or her time in Canada in the last five years, has a substantially elevated risk for secondary review" . This could be true ONLY if applicants are stupid to think that under URGENT processing CIC will NOT scrutinize their application in depth and likewise CIC is thinking that applicants are putting their application under URGENT processing who has definite flaw in their application. I believe we have too small sample size to make a statement like that. To me (unless CIC really think that applicant make URGENT processing to get away from being caught for not meeting RO) URGENT processing and Regular Processing goes under same level of scrutiny by CIC except URGENT processing is reviewed earlier than Normal processing. But this is my view and I may be wrong.

I have my Utility Bills as well as Credit Card Statements. For Brevity, I want to attach only one of them. Which one I should attach?

Thanks once again to all the members who have contributed to this thread.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Supri_Niski said:
I am NOT convinced by your statement "but my sense is that an application for a PR card on an urgent basis, by an applicant who has spent less than half his or her time in Canada in the last five years, has a substantially elevated risk for secondary review" . This could be true ONLY if applicants are stupid to think that under URGENT processing CIC will NOT scrutinize their application in depth and likewise CIC is thinking that applicants are putting their application under URGENT processing who has definite flaw in their application. I believe we have too small sample size to make a statement like that. To me (unless CIC really think that applicant make URGENT processing to get away from being caught for not meeting RO) URGENT processing and Regular Processing goes under same level of scrutiny by CIC except URGENT processing is reviewed earlier than Normal processing. But this is my view and I may be wrong.

I have my Utility Bills as well as Credit Card Statements. For Brevity, I want to attach only one of them. Which one I should attach?
Again, I think the previous H&C determination is probably your trump card, a key factor in whether or not you will get urgent processing.

Regarding the inclusion of additional supporting documentation, such as utility bills or banking statements, I do not think including these will make a difference, so I doubt choosing one versus the other will make a difference.

This is of course my opinion, merely my opinion.

To explain this probably involves a lot, lot more discussion than you would like. But, in case you are interested, I will offer the long explanation:

FWIW, the long explanation:

CIC is likely to consider additional documentation if and when there is a secondary level of review. But there are no indications CIC considers additional proof in screening for risk indicators or for any reason-to-question residency. The latter is what determines whether an application is given urgent processing, or even routine processing. The application either passes this screening or goes to a higher level of review.

That is to say:

Generally, if you meet the criteria for urgent processing and your case (application plus history) does NOT check off any of the risk indicators, does not have any identified reason-to-question residency, your application is likely to be processed on an urgent basis and the PR card issued and delivered (by mail or pick-up).

BUT, if anything in your application, or more likely in your history itself, checks off any of the risk indicators, anything identified as a reason-to-question residency, then your application will not be processed on an urgent basis and most likely will be subject to secondary review.

Just as I doubt that ten or twenty days more will make much, if any of a difference, I doubt that including additional supporting documentation (beyond that required per the checklist and instructions) as proof of residency will make much if any difference at this level of assessment.

I am not certain that an application for urgent processing in conjunction with barely meeting the residency obligation constitutes a reason-to-question residency any more than barely meeting the residency obligation itself might. But given CIC's paranoia about PRs living abroad, and about PRs who in particular only come to Canada long enough to get a renewed PR card and then go back home, so to say, I have a strong sense that at the least the conjunction invites questions. While the anecdotal reports have been sporadic (thus constituting a small sample), they have been consistent for many years (I have been following PR RO matters since 2008 in multiple forums, and including since 2010 or 2011 in this forum; moreover, my sense of these things is drawn from following the evolution of CIC practices and polices as reflected in numerous operational manuals, operation bulletins, more recently the Program Delivery Instructions, and some other sources of information obtained via ATI requests, including memos regarding some risk indicator criteria -- despite CIC attempts to minimize the extent to which its investigatory criteria, like risk indicators, are publicly disclosed).

Sure, a definite flaw will trigger secondary review (for a routine application as well as one asking for urgent processing). But remember, secondary review is not triggered only by definite flaws in an application, but may be triggered by any identified reason-to-question residency.

In particular, the screening criteria for a reason-to-question residency, as employed by CIC, is much broader than definite flaws.

Moreover, I am fairly confident that in most scenarios a PR whose situation checks off criteria for a secondary review cannot, and will not, avoid the secondary review by submitting proof that will ultimately show compliance with the PR RO. Thus, again and for example, I doubt that that the inclusion of utility bills, or bank statements, or both, will make a difference in whether the application is processed on an urgent basis or is subjected to secondary review. (If there is a secondary review, and CIC requests additional documentation, such as issuing a Residency Determination, then sure these documents will be considered.)

It comes down to this: either CIC trusts the applicant's information in the application as submitted, together with the documentation provided per the checklist (including NoAs for example) . . . or CIC does not. In the latter instance, there will be a secondary review, if not a full blown Residency Determination.

Effect of determination there were sufficient H&C grounds, in a PR Travel Document application, to justify retention of PR status despite falling short of the PR RO:

Like most things at CIC these days, the older operational bulletins and operation manuals do not tell the current story, and even when they did the information about the effect of the H&C determination in a PR TD application was a bit fuzzy.

One thing was clear, and I believe this is still true: that as of the date such a determination was made, that decision constituted a final adjudication the PR's status was good . . . which I understood to mean that the PR was in compliance with the PR Residency Obligation. At the least, absences prior to that date could not be reconsidered in assessing the PR's compliance with the PR RO.

To be clear, the decision in a PR TD application is an adjudicated determination and is binding. (Many a PR has failed to understand the import of this and suffered the impact of an outcome going the other way.)

My sense is that such a PR should be entitled to a replacement or new PR card once he or she has returned to Canada. BUT I am far from confident about this (it may be worth your while to consult with a lawyer and ask just this specific question). And in particular, I am not sure to what extent CIC's approach about this may have changed. (For several years now, CIC has continually trended toward more and more strict enforcement of the PR RO.)

I really think that decision, even though based on H&C reasons, is the strongest card in your hand, perhaps your ace-in-the-hole, your trump card. Even if it alone does not make you eligible for a new PR card, I still think this is the one factor most likely to make a difference that allows your application to actually get urgent processing (and I realize you disagree, but without this I think the request for urgent processing in conjunction with barely meeting the minimum threshold would almost certainly trigger a delay in processing).

As for the extent to which the information about your PR TD application is accessible to CIC in assessing a PR card application, the key elements (decision and basis for the decision at minimum) are for sure readily accessible and will most likely be considered . . . all the visa offices are connected into the same system, GCMS and FOSS, as are the CIC offices in Canada. Moreover, a PR TD application involves some level of a residency determination and that information goes into a specific database. Whether that will be routinely accessed in processing the PR card application, or not, I do not know . . . but the information is kept in that database and maintained for . . . I do not recall, but many years at the least.

Unfortunately, the CIC call centre is unreliable for a question like this, that is whether the H&C determination suffices to make a PR who has returned to Canada eligible for a new PR card.

Overall, though, I would note that since it has been less than two years since the PR TD was granted, I don't think CIC could conduct a Residency Determination in your case . . . the outcome dictated by the adjudication of the PR TD application, you are in compliance. If you were absent from Canada most of the last two years, or there was some other dramatic change in circumstances, maybe they could, I am not sure. But generally CIC is obligated to consider you in compliance as of the date the PR TD was issued. Whether that goes so far as to also make you eligible for a new PR card, I am not at all sure . . . but again, I think this is the best card in your hand.

Note: the contrast between the PR TD application and an application for a new PR card is significant.

An application for a new PR card does NOT necessarily entail a Residency Determination, unless CIC specifically conducts a Residency Determination . . . so the fact a PR has been issued a new PR card does not entitle the PR to any presumption about compliance with the PR Residency Obligation. PRs with very recently issued new PR cards have been issued Removal Orders at a POE, and those have been upheld on appeal (where of course the facts show the failure to comply with the PR RO).

Thus, the application for the PR card only calls for a few specific documents supporting proof of residency . . . unless the applicant has been outside Canada for 1095 or more days within the preceding five years (in this case, proof of residency is to be submitted with the application). As I noted above, I doubt the inclusion of any additional proof will make a difference . . . except, of course, if a secondary review is conducted, then the addtional documentation will be considered.

In contrast, the application for a PR Travel Document overtly involves a residency determination. A PR abroad without a currently valid PR card is presumed to not have valid PR status. So the PR must prove either compliance with the PR RO or H&C grounds sufficient to justify retention of PR status, and if the PR fails to submit sufficient proof, the PR TD is denied . . . and that becomes a final adjudication of status unless appealed. If the PR TD is granted, and particularly if it is granted for H&C grounds, it is also a final adjudication on these issues and if not appealed cannot be re-questioned. (I say this is particularly so for a PR TD granted for H&C grounds because these are the cases that have come up in IAD and Federal Court decisions, those decisions affirming that once the H&C determination is made, it is binding and the PR cannot be re-questioned about failing to meet the PR RO due to previous absences.)