+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Return ticket?

Julia

Oct 10, 2008
Okay.. sorry if this has been covered before. My partner and I are getting married in December when he comes and visits me.. after which we are going to apply for his immigration to move to Canada. He will be in Holland and I will be in Canada when the application goes in. The plan is for him to move here at the end of June 2009 but I have been assured that our paperwork won't be cleared by then so he needs to enter under a visitors visa. I am hoping that things will go through before his six months run out but realistically I know this probably won't be the case. However we have talked about going travelling for a bit when he six months is up.. so my question is... will he have major problems if he doesn't get a return ticket when he enters the country? I have heard there is something he can say when he enters that explains that he is entering under dual reasons.. One to visit.. two to immigrate (but will leave if that doesn't happen before the six months is up)

Thanks..

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you do an outland application, it will take approximately 7 weeks to approve you as a sponsor, then his file will be sent to Berlin and average time there is 8 months. If they request an interview, it will happen in Berlin. He can come visit you and tell border control that he has an outland application going on. They will know if he needs to go for interview, he will have to leave Canada to do it. If you want him to stay when his 6 months are up, he can apply to extend his visit visa. He should do it 30 days before it expires though.

DutchMan

Mar 12, 2008
I flew many times back and forth to Canada (I am Dutch, she Canadian).
Return tickets are always cheaper than one way. I know it sounds silly, but check the airline ticket websites and you will see it for yourselves.
As far as I know you will not be admitted as a visitor with a one way ticket.

All in all, your best bet is to get a return ticket.

Best regards,
DutchMan

Lois Lane

May 14, 2008
(close to Toronto) Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat, Morocco
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10 2007
I am a travel agent. As a visitor you must have a return ticket to enter Canada. As you say, it is cheaper anyway.

Goodluck