+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Restore Status or Extend study permit?

Alice_valse

Oct 5, 2013
Hello everybody,
I have a question on my study permit.
I've been calling Italian consulates all over Canada and nobody is able to help me. They told me I have to speak to the Canadian Authorities (which is a really broad term), but there is no immigration office in Halifax,NS, where I am currently studying in a school of English as a Second Language and I'm doing a University preparation program.

Basically, I came here on Jan 5 and my study permit expires in March 2015. When I was here, I decided to apply to Dalhousie and Carleton for a MA, but as usual I don't understand the CIC website and the instructions.
DO I HAVE TO GO BACK TO ITALY AND SEND A NEW APPLICATION FOR A STUDY PERMIT (ONCE I RECEIVE THE LETTER OF ACCEPTANCE) ?
CAN I STAY IN CANADA AND APPLY FOR A NEW STUDY PERMIT?
DOES IT MEAN THAT I HAVE TO RESTORE MY STATUS? (I THOUGHT THIS WASN'T MY CASE, SINCE MY STATUS IS STILL GOING TO BE "STUDENT")
I am looking forward to reading your replies, it is really important that I start doing everything as soon as possible.

shaikhashher

Aug 15, 2013
Mumbai, India
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If u are already present in Canada on a valid study permit and have a valid status(Enrolled as a full time student) then you do not need to go back to Italy. All you have to do is apply to the college or university of your choice and get a letter of acceptance and leave your current college and join the new one and start studying there and when your current permit is about to expire then apply for an extension atleast 90 days prior to the date of expiry.
Note: The above said is only applicable if your study permit does not have the name of your current college mentioned on it. If your current permit is endorsed for a particular college (the one in which u r enrolled right now) then Im afraid you will have to go back to your home country and start a new process of visa application with the new letter of acceptance. Also, let me warn you that if you decide to go back to your country then that might jeopardize your chances of a visa for the second time. but if you graduate from ur current college and then go back for another visa then it makes sense and the chances of securing another visa will be high.