+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

resident status info help plz?

kenzie

Feb 1, 2011
hi i am looking to move to CA soon, i am pretty sure i will score good on FSW as i have relatives there not close enough for sponsorship though, and also with my education and job skills.

before i apply i am wondering about time scales, how long should i expect my application to take till i get a PR visa to "land" in CA

Also if i am not ready to move to CA at the time of my PR visa can i land within the expiry time and leave again to sell house etc to come back later? also how long do i have to do this, i read once landed in CA i can get a PR card and have 5 years in which to get a renewal 2 of those years i must reside in CA but it was only on yahoo answers so not really reliable.

Basically i want to move in 3 yrs so i figure if i apply now and sort my landing within the visa date and stayed for a couple of weeks before returning to uk and moving permanently at a later date,
if i moved in 3 yrs permanently i would have resided in CA for 2 years out of the 5 if i had my visa with todays date you see so is it worth starting the application now?

any help on the process would be great cant seem to find the info to my questions on CA immigration website

thanks

kenzie

Feb 1, 2011
also i should add i want to bring my partner with me we are not yet married but have set a date i can prove that we have been together for a year and living together for 2 months so far officially for tax etc, but by time of application gets through it will have been a year living together and we will be married by then so what should i put on application?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

kenzie said:
hi i am looking to move to CA soon, i am pretty sure i will score good on FSW as i have relatives there not close enough for sponsorship though, and also with my education and job skills.

before i apply i am wondering about time scales, how long should i expect my application to take till i get a PR visa to "land" in CA

Also if i am not ready to move to CA at the time of my PR visa can i land within the expiry time and leave again to sell house etc to come back later? also how long do i have to do this, i read once landed in CA i can get a PR card and have 5 years in which to get a renewal 2 of those years i must reside in CA but it was only on yahoo answers so not really reliable.

Basically i want to move in 3 yrs so i figure if i apply now and sort my landing within the visa date and stayed for a couple of weeks before returning to uk and moving permanently at a later date,
if i moved in 3 yrs permanently i would have resided in CA for 2 years out of the 5 if i had my visa with todays date you see so is it worth starting the application now?

any help on the process would be great cant seem to find the info to my questions on CA immigration website

thanks
1. First of all you have to have at least one years experience in the list of "29" http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who-instructions.asp#list If you don't then without a job offer in Canada, you don't qualify.
2. If you get your PR, once "landed" you have to reside in Canada for 2 years in every 5.
3. See if you qualify first.
4. The process is here: www.cic.gc.ca the official site.
5. As to your second post, s/he can't be included in the application until you have resided in a marriage like relationship for 1 year.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can estimate that it will probably take about 12 to 18 months from the date you submit your application for you to be accepted for PR assuming you meet the points requirements and everything else. See PMMs comments about whether or not you qualify for the FSW program.

If successful, the PR visa will be valid for 1 year from the date you do the medicals requested by immigration. You have until the date of the expiry on the visa to "land" in Canada and become a PR. You can leave immediately after landing and then the clock starts ticking regarding the residency requirements. You know that you must reside in Canada for 2 out of 5 years to maintain PR status. So technically you could stay out of Canada for 3 years before settling here to meet the 2 year requirement. Keep in mind that it's a rolling clock so the calculation of days spent in Canada is done every time you re-enter Canada as a PR.

If you apply now, you cannot include your partner as of this date because you are not yet considered common law for immigration purposes. You have three choices. Wait to apply after you have been living together for a full 12 months, wait to apply after you get married, or apply now and at the time you get married or meet the 12 month requirements, request that he/she be added to the application.