Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
20-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2011
LANDED..........
03-11-2011
Curious if having pics that show my parents in Thailand with me and wife while here for a visit are worth putting in as well? Of course have pics of my wife's family as they live here.

Also is having pics of like me my mom and son worth putting in, if my wife is the one taking the pics in that case?

Thanks

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
As I understand the procedure, you can "change" your preferred place to settle any time. But when your wife lands for the first time as a PR, you will be asked to confirm what your address is/will be, and that's where her PR card will be sent. So, you could use your mother's invitation letter to fortify your intent to return to Canada, then look around and rent a place in B.C. if that's where you are going to settle. The card will be sent to your mother's place and she (or someone else with access to the mailbox) could courier it to you in B.C.

If all this seems inconvenient, and you know someone in B.C., use that address as your home base until you find your own place.
Check out other posts in this topic, since I recall reading that one Immigration Officer doubted that a friend's address was authentic, and gave the PR some grief about it. If your friend could write a letter saying that -- now that you have decided not to live with Mom after all -- you can rent the basement suite, that might be more credible.

If you will be looking for a job, do some careful research; I hear that job opportunities are limited in the Vancouver area.

Bangkokcanuck

May 2, 2010
Bangkapi, Thailand
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-02-2011
File Transfer...
17-03-2011
Med's Done....
07-12-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
20-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2011
LANDED..........
03-11-2011
toby said:
As I understand the procedure, you can "change" your preferred place to settle any time. But when your wife lands for the first time as a PR, you will be asked to confirm what your address is/will be, and that's where her PR card will be sent. So, you could use your mother's invitation letter to fortify your intent to return to Canada, then look around and rent a place in B.C. if that's where you are going to settle. The card will be sent to your mother's place and she (or someone else with access to the mailbox) could courier it to you in B.C.
Seems reasonable so for the time being I will just go forward with the intent to land in Ontario and bunk out at Mom's for the time being.

If all this seems inconvenient, and you know someone in B.C., use that address as your home base until you find your own place.
Check out other posts in this topic, since I recall reading that one Immigration Officer doubted that a friend's address was authentic, and gave the PR some grief about it. If your friend could write a letter saying that -- now that you have decided not to live with Mom after all -- you can rent the basement suite, that might be more credible.
My brother actually lives in BC, which was why I was considering renting a place and using that as our landing point. But I guess we will see in a few weeks as we get closer to submitting the application.

If you will be looking for a job, do some careful research; I hear that job opportunities are limited in the Vancouver area.
I am told the same but I won't actually be looking for work, I still own 50% share in a restaurant that kicks me off about 40k CAD per year and I have a number of online contracts for work I did that will continue whether in Canada or not the only hard part about using them for landing purposes is that they are paid to my Hong Kong company. So easier to just say I will look for work and I do have a very long and at least somewhat impressive (IMHO) resume in the computer industry so I think I would be considered at least to have a pretty good chance at finding gainful employment.

0n a side note any idea where my son falls into all of this? I note in a couple of places on the applications they ask about dependent children coming. He is just a year old so clearly dependent but has his Canadian citizenship and passport so do we just exclude him completely from the application or does he still have to be added as a dependent to my wife who is being sponsored? Geeesh some of the wording on these applications seem like they are trying to make you slip up haha..

Thanks again,

J

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
I don't know about how to treat your child in the application. Wouldn't hurt to include him/her, but mention that he/she is a Canadian citizen.

The danger of the obverse is that if you don't mention the child but it turns out you should have, you may not ever be able to sponsor the child to Canada.

That would be a disaster.

PMM??????

Bangkokcanuck

May 2, 2010
Bangkapi, Thailand
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-02-2011
File Transfer...
17-03-2011
Med's Done....
07-12-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
20-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2011
LANDED..........
03-11-2011
toby said:
I don't know about how to treat your child in the application. Wouldn't hurt to include him/her, but mention that he/she is a Canadian citizen.

The danger of the obverse is that if you don't mention the child but it turns out you should have, you may not ever be able to sponsor the child to Canada.

PMM??????
I guess that is what throws me he technically does not need to be sponsored, when we went to Australia last month he just traveled on his Canadian passport no issues.. and if he wants to go to Canada he should be able to show up at the airport with his passport and citizenship and say "honey I'm home" I would think... PMM??? ;D

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

toby said:

PMM??????
Child is a Canadian citizen, doesn't need to be sponsored. The child is only mentioned on the IMM 5406 by the applicant.

Bangkokcanuck

May 2, 2010
Bangkapi, Thailand
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-02-2011
File Transfer...
17-03-2011
Med's Done....
07-12-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
20-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2011
LANDED..........
03-11-2011
PMM said:
Hi

Child is a Canadian citizen, doesn't need to be sponsored. The child is only mentioned on the IMM 5406 by the applicant.
Well once again it appears that you are in fact 'the man' a heavy mantle but one you wear well hahaha...

Thanks so much again.... back to gathering documents and reading guides.... :'(

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Making you do all that work for a visa is Canada's indirect way of taking your mind off the Canadian winter. ::)

You'll have a huge physical adjustment to make from Thailand's sweltering heat to Canada's dry and relatively cool climate. Cost of living? I've heard it is much cheaper in Thailand.

Bangkokcanuck

May 2, 2010
Bangkapi, Thailand
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-02-2011
File Transfer...
17-03-2011
Med's Done....
07-12-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
20-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2011
LANDED..........
03-11-2011
toby said:
Making you do all that work for a visa is Canada's indirect way of taking your mind off the Canadian winter. ::)
Well having lived the bulk of my life in the Niagara Falls area, a bunch of paperwork will never erase those memories :p but god on them for trying hahaha

You'll have a huge physical adjustment to make from Thailand's sweltering heat to Canada's dry and relatively cool climate. Cost of living? I've heard it is much cheaper in Thailand.
Hey Thailand has winter, for about three weeks in January the temp often will dip below 30c for an hour or two...

BTW the cost of living thing is a myth.. I mean if you want to live out in the middle of nowhere on a rice farm, like a native yeah it's very cheap. But we live in the heart of Bangkok and it is much more expensive to live here than in either BC or Ontario at least in the parts of those two provinces I've lived. Mostly due to the high cost of important goods.. anything that is imported for the west comes with an import tax that is at least 100% and in the case of somethings like high end cars and consumer electronics can be as high as 300% so we will actually be saving money by moving back to the great white north..

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Bizarre, the myth versus the reality. Thanks for the on-site report.

Here in China the same applies -- UNLESS you buy over the Internet. Then you can get (for example) good cheeses, cereals, and other imported goods that you often cannot find in the supermarkets , and for decent prices.

So, learning the ropes is important. Of course, after so many years in Thailand, you know all the ropes there are to learn. So ... B.C. it is.

Where in particular? I investigated Nanaimo in January, and now have shifted focus to White Rock. We could trade viewpoints offline.

Bangkokcanuck

May 2, 2010
Bangkapi, Thailand
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-02-2011
File Transfer...
17-03-2011
Med's Done....
07-12-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
20-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2011
LANDED..........
03-11-2011
Been bogged down for a few months tying up loose ends here in Thailand just wanted to check and see how everyone is doing???

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Bangkokcanuck said:
Been bogged down for a few months tying up loose ends here in Thailand just wanted to check and see how everyone is doing???
No change on the visa front. Hong Kong must be trying to distinguish itself by taking the longest time to process PR visa applications.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
But getting back to comparative costs of living, imported goods are often more expensive where a country gets its revenue mainly from import duties. This reliance on import duties often goes along with relatively low taxes on domestic things. For example, in Costa Rica (where I was for 6 years) property taxes are minimal, there is NO tax on worldwide income, and houses are cheaper than in Canada.

What's the situation in Thailand?

Bangkokcanuck

May 2, 2010
Bangkapi, Thailand
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-02-2011
File Transfer...
17-03-2011
Med's Done....
07-12-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
20-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2011
LANDED..........
03-11-2011
In Thailand they do not tax any worldwide income they barely tax Thai income, it's really quite laughable. But if you want to have anything at all that resembles Western comforts it is actually more expensive than living in Canada. There are no property taxes currently but they are looking at implementing them shortly, but TIT (this is thailand) so noting every actually gets done within the same decade as when they propose it.

When all was said and done it you take into account everything, cost of living, standard of living, quality of life education etc..etc. it is by far more cost effective to live in Canada.. and yes that takes into account the high taxes.

Bangkokcanuck

May 2, 2010
Bangkapi, Thailand
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-02-2011
File Transfer...
17-03-2011
Med's Done....
07-12-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
20-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2011
LANDED..........
03-11-2011
I note on the application there are quite a few places where it references something called "The Immigrant's Guide" but for the life of me I can't seem to find it on the website does anybody have a direct link or a copy of it? Thanks in advance.