+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

residency Questionaire

allizwell

Jan 23, 2011
Hi guys

This forum is really helpful.

My story is that I, with my family bacame permanent resident in August 2005. I went back to my home country after staying a month. But in March 2006, i moved to Canada. I bought a house in July 2006 and moved my family in Canada. Kids started going to school. I completed rsidency requirements and applied for citizenship in July 2009, my wife (kids) did the same in November 2009. She has spent summer vacations in my home country thats why her needed 1095 days were completed in November 2009.

I received my letter for citizenship test in December 2010. I went there for the test but my passport had my canceled UAE residence visa which I had canceled before I moved my family in July 2009. The immigration officer said you have a 'valid' UAE visa. I was surprsed and showed her a BIG 'canceled' stamp and date across residence visa. But she insisted that I should fill in questionaire. I had absolutely no idea about the trime line, I agreed without any resistence though I tried to show her the cancellation stamp on my residence visa.
I later discovered that I could wait for 1-2 years before I get oath for citizenship.
My wife is going for test in Feb and I am going to send kids school certificates and other docs that show her stay in canada with a legal translation of UAE visa cancelation stamp.
Questions:

- Please advise what should I do in this situation for my application and for my wife's?
- Will it have a negative consequesces if I take up a job outside Canada?
- Can we appeal against this unfair and unnecessary practice by CIC which causes delays and adds burden to tax payers' resources?
- Will I get the letter of Oath if all is well or I will have to go through the same again, like show all passports again ?

MAC06

Jan 24, 2011
HI Friends,

My story is as under,
i landed in early 2006 , never travelled out of canada since 2006, completed 1095 days in March 2009 and applied for citizenship, took test in sept 2010, presented passport wd no other stamps since arrived, but unfortunately got RQ after 2 days of test, i am since surprised, I hv all the documents i.e, rental agreement since five yrs, bank statement, credit card bills, all utility bils, fone,cable,electric, gas bill, details of family doctors , children school record, hopitalization, all wt they need, i hv submitted to cic but since 3 mnths waiting, i can't understand the situation.
how u comment on this,

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Why they decide to do RQ, could be because you are pulled out as a random check, could be that some of the dates of your trips do not match their info or in the first example, an immigration officer deciding to check because UAE visa was still valid after supposedly moving to Canada. It will definitely delay your processing and there is not much you can do.

My own citizenship application took 2.5 years for no good reason. I was never contacted by immigration for further documents or any questions. In fact I thought they must have lost my application when they finally contacted me again.

Immigration is just trying to be thorough because some people are pretending to have lived in Canada and applying and getting away with it sometimes.

MAC06

Jan 24, 2011
Hi, Leon,

could u pls comment on my situation, why they ask RQ from me, I never visited out of canada since i landed in 2006, i am so surprised, my passpory wd no stamps and new passport still all blank

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MAC06 said:
Hi, Leon,

could u pls comment on my situation, why they ask RQ from me, I never visited out of canada since i landed in 2006, i am so surprised, my passpory wd no stamps and new passport still all blank
Could be random check, could be that you applied 1 day early. Yes, even 1 day early can be a problem. You need to have 1095 days on the day before you sign your application.

MAC06

Jan 24, 2011
Hi leon,
i applied applied aftr 1115 days, it was on my calculation sheet wd no gap during all my stay in canada.
i hve no idea why they ask rq aftr 2 days of test,
i hve alrdy submited all documents as per rq needed,
when i can get reply from cic office, do u hve any idea

MAC06

Jan 24, 2011
MAC06 said:
HI Friends,

My story is as under,
i landed in early 2006 , never travelled out of canada since 2006, completed 1095 days in March 2009 and applied for citizenship, took test in sept 2010, presented passport wd no other stamps since arrived, but unfortunately got RQ after 2 days of test, i am since surprised, I hv all the documents i.e, rental agreement since five yrs, bank statement, credit card bills, all utility bils, fone,cable,electric, gas bill, details of family doctors , children school record, hopitalization, all wt they need, i hv submitted to cic but since 3 mnths waiting, i can't understand the situation.
how u comment on this,

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
I spoke with an attorney the other day, who told me they are requiring residency questionnaires more and more frequently on citizenship applications these days. She thinks that soon pretty much everyone will be required to complete one. :'(

parsa_mtl

Jun 4, 2011
Please read this and give me feedback:
I received the letter in May 2009 and did the exam on june 2009.Same day I was asked for RQ.
I sent all the documents including the copy of all passports and certified translation.All the other
document from the lease to ... was about 4 kilo which was sent to CIC.It has been 2 years that every month
I call CIC and there is no answer.Each time they check and hey say we have received the documents and you
have to wait.Anybody has any idea? Can I have a lawyer ? How many more years I have to wait for a response?
If they think I am not eligible or if the documents do not show 1095 of residency who don't they deny the application?

allizwell

Jan 23, 2011
Hello everyone

After I sent my docs in reply to RQ, I finally got my oath letter and took oath in August 2012.
My wife also received RQ in April 2010, she got her oath letter in Feb 2012.

The unnecessary wait was finally over. Govt wasting resources and tax payers money on this.