+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Rescheduling citizenship test from outside Canada due to Covid 19

phoebengn

May 23, 2016
Hi all,
Please help me with this tough decision here.
I've just received an invitation to take the online citizenship test when I'm out of Canada. I have 21 days to return to Canada and do the test, technically.
However, I'm quite worry to flight back as I'm traveling with small kids who can literally touch and lick everything. The flight options are so limited that we'll need to board 3 flights with long hours of lay over. We have been out of Canada right before Covid started. Last year, we tried to book flights back but got cancelled every month. Because my husband is able to work online for the whole time, we decide not to risk the whole family's health by restricting travel while waiting for the situation to get better. Beside, the gov where we're at now has been able to contain the virus well so there are not so many community transmitted cases.
I'm not afraid of Covid situation in Canada. It's air traveling that can put our family at risk of getting Covid 19.
What should I do now? Should I still take the flights back and do the test on time (since I have been out for a year)? Or should I reschedule the test. I've heard that it can take up to 3-6 months or even longer ( a year) to get retest.
Anyone in the same situation? Please share your experience. Thank you!

Lex2019

Jan 21, 2019
Yo
Hi all,
I've just received an invitation to take the online citizenship test when I'm out of Canada. I have 21 days to return to Canada and do the test, technically.
However, I'm quite worry to flight back as I'm traveling with small kids who can literally touch and lick everything. The flight options are so limited that we'll need to board 3 flights with long hours of lay over. We have been out of Canada right before Covid started. Last year, we tried to book flights back but got cancelled every month. Because my husband is able to work online for the whole time, we decide not to risk the whole family's health by restricting travel while waiting for the situation to get better. Beside, the gov where we're at now has been able to contain the virus well so there are not so many community transmitted cases.
I'm not afraid of Covid situation in Canada. It's air traveling that can put our family at risk of getting Covid 19.
What should I do now? Should I still take the flights back and do the test on time (since I have been out for a year)? Or should I reschedule the test. I've heard that it can take up to 3-6 months or even longer ( a year) to get retest.
You are really asking others to make the choice for you. Sounds like you could go either way technically. COVID will not go away with vaccinations and by the time your kiddos grow up enough not to chew on everything they see your application might be considered abandoned. I'd fly, but it is your choice really. If flying I'd plan on staying here for at least a couple of months looking at the current pace of tests/oaths too

Reactions: phoebengn

CasioLottoMax

Star Member
Feb 2, 2017
A decision you have to make.

My personal believe is that the risk to get infected with Corona because of flight travelling is nowadays very limited.
Irrespective from that how about you schedule your arrival into Canada so that you do the online test during your quarantine stay at the hotel and leave again upon completing the test? If possible , would suggest to leave the kids behind and arrange care for them by relatives/close friends during your absence.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi all,
Re-test might take a while given the gargantuan backlogs that we currently have.

If you are okay with flying, I'd recommend that you fly back and take the test. You'll also need to be inside Canada for your oath ceremony so plan accordingly. There is no fixed timeline between test and oath. It varies but on an average, it might take anywhere between a couple of weeks to 3 months or more.

The choice is really yours though. If you think the risks of traveling really outweighs attending the test, then you can request for a different date. If you think you'll do fine in air travel during these times, you can come back and take the test.

Please get the latest information about the quarantine requirements and make plans based on that.

Good luck.