+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Requesting a refund for unprocessed OWP after spousal app is approved

terezzeret

Nov 30, 2021
Hi, I'm a long-time lurker but I've never posted on this forum. I was wondering if anyone has dealt with this issue before as I'm pretty sure it's covid related. My husband and I recently got approved and I received my eCoPR last week. However, my OWP, which was included with the original paper-based sponsorship application, never got processed or returned. I tried linking it to my account multiple times over the months but was never able to as the system could not find any results. As I now have my eCoPR, I was wondering if I should apply for a refund through IRCC's payment portal or if anyone has received their money back automatically. I was exempt from giving biometrics and we already received a refund for that (we weren't sure when applying so we just paid it again). I basically gave them an extra $300 for nothing as I was not able to work this whole time due to IRCC not processing the OWP. Technically you should be able to request a refund if you're withdrawing an application or after a refusal, however neither really applies to me as they just processed my PR quicker. Would appreciate any input. Thanks

clue12

Jul 1, 2020
Hi! Same thing happened with me - received eCoPR with no movement on the OWP. What I did was submit a webform request to withdraw the OWP application right after I received eCoPR. I got a reply from them 1-2 weeks later stating that they had added a note to the file that I wished to withdraw the application and the appropriate team would determine if that was possible or not. That was on Sept 9th and I didn't hear anything about it again until a few days ago, on Nov 29th, when I got a message from IRCC that because I was now a permanent resident, the OWP was no longer required, so they had closed the file and would be processing a refund in 6-8 weeks.

I'm not sure if it was necessary to submit the withdrawal request via webform or if they would eventually have closed the file on their own anyway, but I guess it doesn't hurt to try. Ultimately, though, I think it's probably good to be prepared for a pretty long wait before you see any kind of refund - things seem to process really slowly either way!

Reactions: armoured

terezzeret

Nov 30, 2021
Hi! Same thing happened with me - received eCoPR with no movement on the OWP. What I did was submit a webform request to withdraw the OWP application right after I received eCoPR. I got a reply from them 1-2 weeks later stating that they had added a note to the file that I wished to withdraw the application and the appropriate team would determine if that was possible or not. That was on Sept 9th and I didn't hear anything about it again until a few days ago, on Nov 29th, when I got a message from IRCC that because I was now a permanent resident, the OWP was no longer required, so they had closed the file and would be processing a refund in 6-8 weeks.

I'm not sure if it was necessary to submit the withdrawal request via webform or if they would eventually have closed the file on their own anyway, but I guess it doesn't hurt to try. Ultimately, though, I think it's probably good to be prepared for a pretty long wait before you see any kind of refund - things seem to process really slowly either way!
Hey, thanks for sharing! I'll try to send a webform and see if they respond. Crazy that it takes so long to get anything done though :/

Niki2016

Star Member
Oct 17, 2021
Any news about the refund? I got Confirmation of Permanent Resident , still waiting for PR Card, never received OWP, don't know how to do it

alidonkaka6

Dec 22, 2021
Hi,

I'm not sure if submitting the withdrawal request via webform was essential, or if they would have closed the file on their own regardless, but I suppose it's worth a shot. In the end, I believe it's probably best to expect a long wait before receiving any form of return - things tend to move at a snail's pace in any case! It is not an issue.
real estate istanbul
Thanks

Last edited:

paul22381

Star Member
Sep 25, 2015
Hi, same here. I submitted a request via webform, withdrawing my OWP permit application and a refund in November after I got PR approval. After few days, I received an email from IRCC saying that they will determine if my application can be withdrawn and will issue a refund if applicable within 16 weeks.
Last week , I received an update that my OWP application has been cancelled, however no update on the refund yet.