+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Request advice

spaceman89

Mar 22, 2018
Hello, not sure if this is the right section for requesting this sort of help but I am unsure of what category to put this under.

I am 28 male who entered the United Kingdom in 1990 with my mother and two older siblings. I am unsure of what status my mother claimed when she entered the UK but do know that she was granted a extended leave to remain in 92.

For the last 8 years I have been trying to sort out my legal status in the UK, my mother applied for and was granted leave to remain in the early 2001. That also included my sibling born in 97, I don't know why only those two documents were sent and have not found out why even with a subject for information request.

I only really looked into this during 2009/2010 when I failed to find work due to lack of status or poof of status. Due to poor GCSE's I attended college to take two years worth of BTEC courses and then two more for A levels and finished that in 2009. During my schooling my mother had been seeking legal aid, from what I can tell it caused more confusion later on.

Don't have funds to seek a lawyer here, I don't have thousands of pounds at my disposal. Legal aid no longer covers immigration matters, scared of deportation to somalia, does not look safe or welcoming.

All my family live in the UK, other than my older brother the rest have been able to get work because they were born here. Oldest sister had same problem as me but was working since she was 16, she applied for leave to remain in 2007 and was refunded her money due to already having leave to remain and she is now a british citizen. When I bring this up when seeking help or contacting immigration/local MP/MEP no one has done anything or even replied back with a response.

My problem is that I feel unsafe in the UK, not much legitimate help with my current situation and feel isolated and scared of deportation. I don't solicize, don't go out as I am scared of being picked up on the street by immigration officers, I have real fear about this, have only been to hospital once in eight years, GP once in four-five years and not been to the dentist in eight.

I am able to work and can read and write in english but do have dyslexia. I only speak english and only understand the basics of my country of births language. This also makes me uneasy of being deported, I don't see a future for myself here anymore. I would be happy with minimum wage job that have a shortage of employees in my local area but am unable to apply.

The main problem is that I need money to really apply for and fix my problem in the UK. I don't see this happening and have wasted eight years trying to and the cost of applications has since gone up really high. I really don't think you guys can help but would love advice on applying for asylum or refugee status to canada.

What would I qualify as in canada a asylum seeker or refugee?

Unable to work legally in the UK, don't have a criminal record so cannot seek other forms of income as I wish to have a clean record. Could I be allowed to settle in Canada with the current mess I am in?

Have no passport or travel document so can't leave, cost £75 for a travel document but only get one if I have a chance. Related to money issues and would have to borrow from family, not much available and I am being supported by my family.

I have no relatives in canada, be coming in with no high education or funds.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
So, to start, what is your actual status in the UK? Have you applied as a refugee or for assylum? Are you legal there?

Edit: and what’s your country of origin?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There's no way for you to claim asylum or refugee status in Canada at this time. You would have to do one of two things to claim asylum in Canada:

1) Be officially recognized as a refugee by UNHCR in the UK and then referred by UNHCR for resettlement in Canada. UNHCR selects where you are resettled - you aren't able to chose.
2) Obtain a visitor visa to Canada, fly to Canada and claim asylum on arrival. However obtaining a TRV won't be possible given you don't have a passport and have no status in the UK.

You should focus on fixing your status in the UK.

spaceman89

Mar 22, 2018
So, to start, what is your actual status in the UK? Have you applied as a refugee or for assylum? Are you legal there?

Edit: and what’s your country of origin?
I have no legal status, did seek some free legal advice in 2016 that ended up in me applying for UK biometric card and subject of information request. It was under the belief that if I already had leave to remain that I would qualify, that application was rejected back in january.

The SIR was applied for under my mothers name due to the original ILR was made by her. That had listed only my mother and brother has oringaly having it.

There's no way for you to claim asylum or refugee status in Canada at this time. You would have to do one of two things to claim asylum in Canada:

1) Be officially recognized as a refugee by UNHCR in the UK and then referred by UNHCR for resettlement in Canada. UNHCR selects where you are resettled - you aren't able to chose.
2) Obtain a visitor visa to Canada, fly to Canada and claim asylum on arrival. However obtaining a TRV won't be possible given you don't have a passport and have no status in the UK.

You should focus on fixing your status in the UK.
Thanks for the reply, I don't think it's within my power to fix it currently. Like I said in my original post, I never thought much would come of this but thanks for the confirmation.

Last edited: