+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Rent an apartment

plned

Jul 25, 2023
Hello,
I understand that it is very difficult to rent an apartment now in Ontario, especially as a newcomer: no credit history, no job reference etc. One option is if someone from Canada to guarantee for you. So, I have friends in Quebec, is it ok if they guarantee for me to rent an apartment in Ontario. Does it matter that they live in Quebec?

Thanks.

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Hello,
I understand that it is very difficult to rent an apartment now in Ontario, especially as a newcomer: no credit history, no job reference etc. One option is if someone from Canada to guarantee for you. So, I have friends in Quebec, is it ok if they guarantee for me to rent an apartment in Ontario. Does it matter that they live in Quebec?

Thanks.
I have friends who got a 1BDR pre-landing, but they ended up paying 4-6 month's rent in advance as they had no jobs. Be prepared for it(I don't say it is a good practice, but that's the way market is right now). You can also book an Airbnb for the first 1-2 months and then look for rentals.

About your friend's guarantee to rent an apartment in Ontario - I don't see how it will work. Do they own the property they are going to rent to you? Because that's the only way it will workout for you. Or do you mean that they'll act as a rental reference for you?

Reactions: plned and bellaluna

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello,

Thanks.
never heard of "being guarantee" for rental. I guess they can be your presonal reference. But if they were not your previous landlords or employers, that reference doesn't have much weight.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

Thanks.
If the friends have jobs in Quebec, they should get the landlord for permission if they can transfer the tenancy to you or sublet the tenancy to you. Otherwise they can also put themselves in as guarantors in your tenancy agreement.

Reactions: plned

plned

Jul 25, 2023
I have friends who got a 1BDR pre-landing, but they ended up paying 4-6 month's rent in advance as they had no jobs. Be prepared for it(I don't say it is a good practice, but that's the way market is right now). You can also book an Airbnb for the first 1-2 months and then look for rentals.

About your friend's guarantee to rent an apartment in Ontario - I don't see how it will work. Do they own the property they are going to rent to you? Because that's the only way it will workout for you. Or do you mean that they'll act as a rental reference for you?
Yes, what I mean is if they can be a rental guarantee for myself.