+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewable contracts counted as "Permanent Offer" for FSW?

shankqiu

Feb 12, 2010
Hi,

I'm going to apply for the FSW program.

I'm currently working on a Renewable contract (renewing every 3 years). But there is no such words like "permanent", "three year" or "renewable" on my contract. Is it sufficient?

1. Does my case qualify for the "permanent employment offer" that FSW requires? ???

2. Also, I understand that work permit should be valid at the time of applying and approving permanent resident. My work permit is expiring less than a year... What should I do to deal with this? Extend work permit before applying for PR, or extend it later when PR application is in process? :-\

3. I'm on the IT program now, so no HRSDC LMO was obtained. I know the IT program expires in October. If I apply before that, I should be OK without an AEO, right? :-X

3. Apart from the FBI criminal certificate, is state police certificate also required/mandated?

Any input is appreciated! :)

cheers!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
shankqiu said:
I'm currently working on a Renewable contract (renewing every 3 years). But there is no such words like "permanent", "three year" or "renewable" on my contract. Is it sufficient?

1. Does my case qualify for the "permanent employment offer" that FSW requires? ???

To apply under arranged employment, your employer will have to provide you with a letter offering you PERMANENT (not contract) employment upon obtaining permanent resident status. If your employer offers you a renewed contract instead of permanent employment, it will not qualify. Permanent means no end date on the contract. Your previous contract does not matter, what matters is whether your employer can offer you a permanent job.

But for many occupations (like mine) where renewable contracts are the norm, this rule really bites; my employer could not legally offer permanent employment, so you will have to have a discussion with your employer about this.

But if you have been working here at least 2 years, why not apply under the Canadian Experience Class?

2. Also, I understand that work permit should be valid at the time of applying and approving permanent resident. My work permit is expiring less than a year... What should I do to deal with this? Extend work permit before applying for PR, or extend it later when PR application is in process? :-\

Extend as necessary; if you get a new work permit after you have submitted your application, just send a copy to CIC to update your file.

But again, why not the CEC program? If something happens and you don't get your work permit renewed, you will lose your eligiblity. CEC does not have this restriction.

3. I'm on the IT program now, so no HRSDC LMO was obtained. I know the IT program expires in October. If I apply before that, I should be OK without an AEO, right? :-X

Theoretically, yes, and you should do it probably sooner rather than later...

3. Apart from the FBI criminal certificate, is state police certificate also required/mandated?

Not unless/until it is requested by the visa office.

shankqiu

Feb 12, 2010
Thanks jes_ON!

The problem is I just arrived in Canada for only several months... hence not qualify the CEC. Only FSW Cat 2 :-[ :'(

So even my contract does not mention the term time, it's still no good for FSW? It has to have "permanent" literally written in the offer letter?

thanks.

shankqiu

Feb 12, 2010
Hi jes_ON,

I see you wrote those based on your own experience:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/fsw-category-3-proof-of-funds-required-t23810.0.html

So in the end, the VO said no to your contract and you would have to re-apply under CEC?

thanks

shankqiu

Feb 12, 2010
UPDATE, I just called CIC and got confirmed about my questions. See below. Hope this helps anyone who is in similar situation as me. ;D

shankqiu said:
Hi,

I'm going to apply for the FSW program.

Yes, as long as the employer would keep me for longer term upon the time I receive the PR.

Extend it 30 days before the WP expires.

Yes.

No, not required.

Any input is appreciated! :)

cheers!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
shankqiu said:
Hi jes_ON,

I see you wrote those based on your own experience:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/fsw-category-3-proof-of-funds-required-t23810.0.html

So in the end, the VO said no to your contract and you would have to re-apply under CEC?

thanks
I was evaluated as FSW3 instead of FSW2. I withdrew the application, and have since reapplied under CEC.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
shankqiu said:
Thanks jes_ON!

The problem is I just arrived in Canada for only several months... hence not qualify the CEC. Only FSW Cat 2 :-[ :'(

So even my contract does not mention the term time, it's still no good for FSW? It has to have "permanent" literally written in the offer letter?
If you look at the document checklist, #10, "You must submit a letter from your employer indicating that you will be employed indeterminantly upon receiving permanent resident status..." Your contract is not a required document, nor is it a substitute for this letter.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/skilled.asp

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hey guys - new instructions for processing work permit renewals until Oct 1 for IT occupations -

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2010/ob225.asp

druid2010

Star Member
Jun 24, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jes_ON said:
Hey guys - new instructions for processing work permit renewals until Oct 1 for IT occupations -

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2010/ob225.asp
so if i applied in june 2010, do i need an lmo??