+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Relocating while waiting for Citizenship

NEDurr

Apr 10, 2009
My apologies if this question has been answered before.

I am a US citizen born to an American father and Canadian mother. I meet the criteria for applying for Canadian citizenship as my mother is a Canadian. I have been told that the waiting period for receiving my citizenship papers is over a year. However, I was hoping to relocate from the US to Canada in the more immediate future. I will be submitting my paperwork in the coming weeks.

Is it possible for me to relocate to Canada prior to having be processed officially but having submitted my paperwork? Can I move under a certain type of Visa whilst waiting for the paperwork to be processed? I am really eager to start living in Canada. What steps if any can I undertake for a move?

I am very grateful for your time. Thank you.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You already have citizenship. You just need to be able to prove it. Talk to the Canadian embassy in the US about what you have to do. Ordering a citizenship certificate takes about 10 months, that's true.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

NEDurr said:
Thank you Leon for your prompt response!
You can get a temporary Canadian passport through the Consulate faster than the proof of citizenship, that is if you are interested.

PMM