+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Rejection of the OWP, but no updates on the main applicant (Non-SDS)

thrigaya

Star Member
Apr 30, 2021
Hi there,
On May 14 I applied to the Study Permit and Open Work Permit for my common-law partner (In 1 Application)
On May 21 my partner received BVL and rejection letter on the next day (May 22).

There are still no updates on my application for the Study Permit. Are there any chances not to get a rejection?
Did anyone have a faster response to the partner's application or approval after the partner's rejection?
Hi..sorry about your partner’s visa refusal...something similar happened to us but my husband got approval for Sowp before me..I am still waiting for SP final decision...but have never heard this happen before...We applied on May 10th and my husband for BVL and PPR on May 21...

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi..sorry about your partner’s visa refusal...something similar happened to us but my husband got approval for Sowp before me..I am still waiting for SP final decision...but have never heard this happen before...We applied on May 10th and my husband for BVL and PPR on May 21...
Your situration is not similar to OP's situation as OP's partner's visa got refused and yours got approved.

thrigaya

Star Member
Apr 30, 2021
Your situration is not similar to OP's situation as OP's partner's visa got refused and yours got approved.
Hi, Yes I am aware it's not similar but the OP had asked in the last line if anyone had gotten faster response to the partner's application before primary...I was only referring to that since that's not very common...

Reactions: andlkv

Johnsnow 007

Champion Member
Jan 6, 2018
Nigeria
1) Statutory Declaration of common-law union signed by Ontario Notary Public
2) IDs with information about the same address of residence
3) Extract from the house register (an official document confirming cohabitation)
4) Bank certificate about the shared bank account
5) Scans of cards from the shared account with our names and a few utility bills paid by both cards for the last 2 years
6) a few bills issued for the same address of residence
7) Several shared trips on planes and trains from the last 2-3 years.
8) Common photos with dates and places from the last 4 years.
I thought it would be enough, but it seems like not. However, don't want to guess, will better wait for official notes.

She has IELTS 6.5 and we stated that she wants to volunteer at the local school.
Hello Andlkv,

These are justifiable evidence for a common-law partnership to be considered as true and valid according to the instructions and requirements by IRCC and as stated on their website.

Despite your spouse being rejected, you can still be approved if you meet the eligibility requirement of the study permit. Your spouse's OWP was assessed and evaluated based upon the SOWP eligibility requirement which was failed.

It is good you have already requested the GCMS notes, and if you eventually get approved, with the notes, you can quickly submit a letter of reconsideration to the visa office that handled the application or reapply again for your spouse from within Canada after your first semester. Within this period, your spouse can begin to improve on the raised concerns by the officer and including other areas that may be of new concern to the officer.

Best of Luck

andlkv

May 19, 2021
Russia
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Moscow
Hello Andlkv,

These are justifiable evidence for a common-law partnership to be considered as true and valid according to the instructions and requirements by IRCC and as stated on their website.

Despite your spouse being rejected, you can still be approved if you meet the eligibility requirement of the study permit. Your spouse's OWP was assessed and evaluated based upon the SOWP eligibility requirement which was failed.

It is good you have already requested the GCMS notes, and if you eventually get approved, with the notes, you can quickly submit a letter of reconsideration to the visa office that handled the application or reapply again for your spouse from within Canada after your first semester. Within this period, your spouse can begin to improve on the raised concerns by the officer and including other areas that may be of new concern to the officer.

Best of Luck
Hello, Johnsnow

Thanks for the detailed answer and wishes. My consultant also said that if her OWP rejection affected my SP application, I would have been rejected the next day. The fact that I still have not received a decision on my SP gives me hope.

That is exactly what I was going to do after going through the GCMS notes. I have just one more question:
Am I right that a letter of reconsideration is an informal letter that should be submitted through a webform, and it should be based on already submitted documents, so I can't just add the missing file to the request?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
1) Statutory Declaration of common-law union signed by Ontario Notary Public
2) IDs with information about the same address of residence
3) Extract from the house register (an official document confirming cohabitation)
4) Bank certificate about the shared bank account
5) Scans of cards from the shared account with our names and a few utility bills paid by both cards for the last 2 years
6) a few bills issued for the same address of residence
7) Several shared trips on planes and trains from the last 2-3 years.
8) Common photos with dates and places from the last 4 years.
I thought it would be enough, but it seems like not. However, don't want to guess, will better wait for official notes.

She has IELTS 6.5 and we stated that she wants to volunteer at the local school.
The evidence needs to show that you have both been at the same address for a year. The proof should start with proof from the start of your common law period so your evidence should show the date, address and your name(s). You should collect ;proof with the dates throughout your common law period.

andlkv

May 19, 2021
Russia
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Moscow
Things are going in a positive way. Have just got a medical request.

As I understand it, refusals after medical requests are very rare. Unless, of course, there are health problems.
Am I right?

Rafaelhag43

May 6, 2021
Things are going in a positive way. Have just got a medical request.

As I understand it, refusals after medical requests are very rare. Unless, of course, there are health problems.
Am I right?
Yes correct. This is because you have passed eligility stage and now need to be assessed on the admisibility stage before a decision can be made. Good luck !