+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Registration to Vote in Elections (Federal & Provincial)

harith86

Dec 5, 2009
Hello,

I live in province of Quebec.

I became a Canadian citizen on March 28th. In my citizenship application, I checked both boxes when it asked if I want to be registered automatically for Elections Canada.

I am checking today if that's the case, and I received a message saying: Based on the information provided, we cannot confirm you are registered to vote.. I am checking from this site: https://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?section=vot&dir=reg&document=index&lang=e
By clicking "Check Your Voter Registration"

Do I have to call Elections Canada? or does it take a while until I am registered?

Thanks,

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Hello,

I live in province of Quebec.

I became a Canadian citizen on March 28th. In my citizenship application, I checked both boxes when it asked if I want to be registered automatically for Elections Canada.

I am checking today if that's the case, and I received a message saying: Based on the information provided, we cannot confirm you are registered to vote.. I am checking from this site: https://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?section=vot&dir=reg&document=index&lang=e
By clicking "Check Your Voter Registration"

Do I have to call Elections Canada? or does it take a while until I am registered?

Thanks,
You can call them or go online to register. CIC automatically don’t register your nowadays. You should do yourself.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
It doesn't take long to do so online, and Elections Canada can deal with it if there is more than one 'record' under your name. So just do it online. Same I think in most provinces.

Also would note: in most/all elections I'm aware of in Canada, you can show up at polling station with proof of address (ID, mail, etc) and they'll let you vote on the spot. If in doubt, take what you have, there is a process to 'swear' your ability to vote on the spot (you swear you're eligible and not voting multiple times.) The only serious wrinkle is that generally you have to go to the right polling station (voting location) for your address.