+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Register child in public elementary school with visitor permit?

alexzquan

Feb 17, 2019
Hi there,

I want to register my child in a public elementary school. We are not citizen nor PR. I have a PGWP and my wife has a study permit. Our child holds a visiting permit, on which there is a condition:
"Unless authorized, prohibited from attending any educational institution, or taking any academic, professional, pro vocational training course"

In this case, does our child need a study permit to study in elementary school?

Thanks,

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
It is my understanding that a child does not need a study permit if the parent has a work/study permit. What province are you in?

alexzquan

Feb 17, 2019
It is my understanding that a child does not need a study permit if the parent has a work/study permit. What province are you in?
Thanks Eveslm! It is my understanding too. That condition just looks weird. I will double check with the school. We are in Ontario.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
That isn’t what the province says
http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/parents/faq-parents.html#schools2

Can a student from outside Canada attend school in Ontario?

Yes, but in order to study here, an international student requires a valid student visa. Contact the Canadian embassy, consulate, or high commission in your country to apply for one. You will also need a letter from the school in Ontario, stating that a space is available. To find out which schools have openings for foreign students, you should contact district school boards and school authorities (for publicly funded schools) or the private schools that interest you.

I’d probably approach the school board you’re in

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
If that's what it says on the child's visa, you need to talk to IRCC about getting that condition removed. Just because some places say that a minor does not need a study visa if the parent is authorized to work on Canada doesn't mean that the condition printed on your child's visa is irrelevant.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Your child will have no problem attending. Just bring in proof of your wife’s PGWP. No need for a study permit for elementary and secondary education. You have to decide what type of schooling you want. English or French immersion and Catholic or secular and contact your area school based on your permanent address. You will need proof of your permanent address in Canada to register for school.

Reactions: Eveslm

alexzquan

Feb 17, 2019
Thanks everyone. Just contacted the school. The lady said as long as the parents have valid work permit or study permit, minor child can attend school without study permit.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

I would still call IRCC and ask about the condition on the visitor permit. Just because it's there.
1. why bother? The OP has his/her answer and it is correct for all provinces in Canada, no study permit required for children of holders of Study/Work permits for Elementary and Secondary school.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Hi
1. why bother? The OP has his/her answer and it is correct for all provinces in Canada, no study permit required for children of holders of Study/Work permits for Elementary and Secondary school.
Because it's not a question of whether or not the school will accept the student (they will) but whether or not the child is violating a condition that is printed on their visa. Sure, they don't need a visa to study - but their visa says that they cannot study without authorization. It's written on the visa.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Because it's not a question of whether or not the school will accept the student (they will) but whether or not the child is violating a condition that is printed on their visa. Sure, they don't need a visa to study - but their visa says that they cannot study without authorization. It's written on the visa.
That is just standard generic wording on every Visitor Record. Immigration law is quite clear that the minor children of work/study permit holders do not require study permits.

https://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/i-2.5/page-7.html#h-274598

Minor children

(2) Every minor child in Canada, other than a child of a temporary resident not authorized to work or study, is authorized to study at the pre-school, primary or secondary level.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Agree with k.h.p. I think it's better to consult this matter directly to the IRCC, so that you will get accurate information.
The regulation that @canuck_in_uk quoted above is an authorization that meets the restriction printed on the visitor permit. It explicitly authorizes minors to study.

That is a lot more clear than relying on a website that says that certain minors do not need a visa. It's an explicit authorization. That suffices.