+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Regarding Work Experience & Apprenticeship

ucanisplus

Aug 3, 2023
Dear esteemed community members,

I hope this message finds you all in good spirits. I am writing to seek your valuable assistance and guidance regarding my recent Express Entry application for the Federal Skilled Worker program. I have successfully submitted my application including my IELTS result and accreditation for my Master's degree. However, there are a few aspects of my work experience that I need clarification on, and I kindly request your help in resolving these uncertainties.

My questions are as follows:

1. Apprenticeship Experience: Regarding my Express Entry application, I included an apprenticeship experience that I completed during my Master's degree in France, as the IRCC website and FAQ pages stated that paid and continuous apprenticeships are accepted. However, during the actual application process, I received a warning not to include any details related to an apprenticeship. Despite this, I provided the information, and my resulting score was calculated based on it. Can you please clarify whether an apprenticeship can be considered as valid work experience for the application or not?
  2. Freelancing Experience: I also added a short freelancing experience where I worked on a few projects for a company and received cash payments. Initially, I didn't consider this as formal work experience since I believed my apprenticeship would suffice. However, upon observing the aforementioned apprenticeship warning, I included it in my application. However, I got additional 25 points comparing the calculation tool. Do I truly receive these extra points for my freelancing experience, and if selected, will I need to provide supporting documents for this experience?
  3. Application Withdrawal: After receiving your kind responses and resolving the above concerns, I am contemplating withdrawing my current application and re-applying to ensure the accuracy and completeness of my submission. Could you please advise if withdrawing and re-applying would incur any penalties or disadvantages in the application process?
I am immensely grateful for your time and expertise in addressing my inquiries. Your assistance will significantly impact the success of my application, and I am eager to comply with all requirements as I proceed on this important journey.

Thank you all in advance for your unwavering support and valuable insights. I truly appreciate being a part of this knowledgeable and helpful community.

Warm regards,

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Dear esteemed community members,

I hope this message finds you all in good spirits. I am writing to seek your valuable assistance and guidance regarding my recent Express Entry application for the Federal Skilled Worker program. I have successfully submitted my application including my IELTS result and accreditation for my Master's degree. However, there are a few aspects of my work experience that I need clarification on, and I kindly request your help in resolving these uncertainties.

My questions are as follows:

1. Apprenticeship Experience: Regarding my Express Entry application, I included an apprenticeship experience that I completed during my Master's degree in France, as the IRCC website and FAQ pages stated that paid and continuous apprenticeships are accepted. However, during the actual application process, I received a warning not to include any details related to an apprenticeship. Despite this, I provided the information, and my resulting score was calculated based on it. Can you please clarify whether an apprenticeship can be considered as valid work experience for the application or not?
  2. Freelancing Experience: I also added a short freelancing experience where I worked on a few projects for a company and received cash payments. Initially, I didn't consider this as formal work experience since I believed my apprenticeship would suffice. However, upon observing the aforementioned apprenticeship warning, I included it in my application. However, I got additional 25 points comparing the calculation tool. Do I truly receive these extra points for my freelancing experience, and if selected, will I need to provide supporting documents for this experience?
  3. Application Withdrawal: After receiving your kind responses and resolving the above concerns, I am contemplating withdrawing my current application and re-applying to ensure the accuracy and completeness of my submission. Could you please advise if withdrawing and re-applying would incur any penalties or disadvantages in the application process?
I am immensely grateful for your time and expertise in addressing my inquiries. Your assistance will significantly impact the success of my application, and I am eager to comply with all requirements as I proceed on this important journey.

Thank you all in advance for your unwavering support and valuable insights. I truly appreciate being a part of this knowledgeable and helpful community.

Warm regards,
This is not a government site.

ucanisplus

Aug 3, 2023
This is a volunteer forum. You are writing as if you are writing formally to a government official.
Oh I see, I try to be as formal and polite as possible in forums as well but thank you for your consideration. May I ask if you have any clue about my question? Especially on the matter of apprenticeship are acceptable as work experience or not? Because like I said I think that IIRC is contradicting with it self.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Oh I see, I try to be as formal and polite as possible in forums as well but thank you for your consideration. May I ask if you have any clue about my question? Especially on the matter of apprenticeship are acceptable as work experience or not? Because like I said I think that IIRC is contradicting with it self.
Skilled work experience can count as long as TEER 1-3. Freelancing is self employment so you need contracts/receipts to prove you fulfilled the NOC.

ucanisplus

Aug 3, 2023
Again thank you for your concern and swift responses, they are highly appreciated. But what can you tell about this contradiction? I've also seen that an apprenticeship would be acceptable but when I was filling my application they've written that we shall not add anything related to an apprenticeship. Despite that I added it as a regular job, so in case I would be accepted I'm afraid if they just cancel it and my plans and preparations would go to ruin...

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Again thank you for your concern and swift responses, they are highly appreciated. But what can you tell about this contradiction? I've also seen that an apprenticeship would be acceptable but when I was filling my application they've written that we shall not add anything related to an apprenticeship. Despite that I added it as a regular job, so in case I would be accepted I'm afraid if they just cancel it and my plans and preparations would go to ruin...
Sorry I don’t know what you are referring to. Will let others respond.

ucanisplus

Aug 3, 2023
Sorry I don’t know what you are referring to. Will let others respond.

I understand thank you. I've just came upon another big obstacle on my file. My apprenticeship experience is actually 11 months and 3 days not exactly 12 months since it was 35 hours I thought it would be ok since they mentioned minimum 1560 hours but now I saw that they don't care if it's above 30 hours or not. So I guess this experience doesn't count at all?