+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Regarding last name in express entry profile

addyfreek

Mar 10, 2020
Hi Guys,

Need your help. I don't have last name(Surname). I have already registered in cic website, but while creating express entry profile given name and last name(Surname) fields are compulsory. Upon checking, as per the Canada immigration website they have asked to leave given name field blank and enter given name in Last name, but since both are required fields I entered both given name and last name same. So my name is repeating twice in express entry profile.

PS my registration to immigration website was proper as given name was not a required field and last name was required, so just entered last name as given name. And name is showing properly.

Can you guys please help me out.

Regards,
Aditya

skape7

Apr 24, 2017

addyfreek

Mar 10, 2020
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=014&top=4
Check the official response to the question 'What do you mean by Surname'?

In short, they say if you don't have surname and only a given name - then enter your complete 'given name' (as it appears on your passport) in the Surname section and leave the Given name section blank.

You can edit your name as below:
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1003&top=29
As mentioned in my question above, I already checked it and verified both the links before asking the question. Both given name and surname are required fields in express entry form. I am not talking about the registration page. This is post registering and filling express entry form.

Tanglechuu

Star Member
Jan 24, 2020
Can you write something like "N/A" into the given name field and enter your given name in the surname field?

addyfreek

Mar 10, 2020
Sent an email to IRCC webform as well. They did not read my question properly. I had attached pdf with screenshot as well.

Here is their reply:
Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

We have verified the information you provided. If a single name is indicated in the given name field of the passport, and the last name field is left empty, IRCC will then record that single name in the last name/surname field.

If that is your case, please proceed in the same manner and enter your single name (compound or not) in the Last name field and leave the given name field blank.

We hope the information provided is helpful in assisting you with your enquiry.