+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refused SPP Visa on first attempt

messic

Oct 4, 2013
Hello friends,

I was refused the SPP visa for my proposed study in canada for the September 2013 intake. My friend recommended that I post my case here in this forum to get an answer as to why it happened and how can i put up a stronger case if i decide to reapply for the Jan '14 intake. Im from India btw.

Exact reason for my visa refusal:

Your proposed studies are not reasonable in light of one or more of your qualifications, previous studies, gap in studies, employment, level of establishment, language abilities, or your future prospects and plans.

So here is my background:

10th - 50% - 2006 completion
12th - 51% - 2008 completion (commerce stream)
Recent IELTS - 7.5 Overall
Medicals - DONE

My case is a little bit complicated cause after my 12th i went to Australia for diploma in computing @ MIBT Melbourne leading to 2nd year IT Degree from Deakin University (it was through a pathway program cause my 12th grades were not good enough for direct admission into university). I was not able to complete that course because I sort of lost interest due to the programming related subjects. Other subjects i scored Credits and Distinctions. After that, because of my lack of interest, I decided to change course and move to the media field but due to lack of trust from my parents i had to return back to india.

Since then i have a had a huge gap. I had done a foundation course (3 months) related to Film and TV production from a private institute in Mumbai. And i have managed to fill up the gaps with work experience letters related to the same field.

Now, i wished to go back abroad and complete my studies in more or less the same field (Media). So i applied to Durham College, Oshawa for Interactive Media Design 2yr Diploma Course. I got the offer, paid GIC and had taken an education loan so that there should not be any finance related problems in the application process. I also built up a very strong SOP stating as to why my past endeavours were not successful and throughly explained my future prospects and ambitions . Im going through an overseas education consultancy (agent), so they were there to assist me at every step and check through all documents which were to be submitted to the high commission.

After doing all of this, submitted the VISA application under SPP only to be presented with a refusal within 14 days. I have looked through these forums and have understood that this sort of thing happens quite a lot to many people. I thought (on a friends recommendation) I should put up my case up here and see what you all think about this particular predicament of mine.

Is it worth giving it another shot? Should I even bother reapplying? If yes, what would be your recommended changes or additions to my new application? Will it be easier if i go back to studying IT instead of Media? My friend himself has applied to go to canada in jan '14. He said I should try applying in the General Category instead of SPP (where i understand GIC is not mandatory). What do y'all think? How do I go about doing it right this time around.

My agent thinks me going back to Australia makes more sense and would be easier cause I have been there before and she thinks it would be easier to get a student visa, but to this point i have got no offers only a bunch of refusals from there. I still do have 2 active applications which im sure i can get (offers). Im in two minds at the moment. 2 options .. Either go for Australia (if i get an offer) or reapply for Canada (still have my doubts whether I can get VISA approved). I also do like the prospect of PR in Canada if i do decide i want to stay back later on.

Please advice. What would you do if you were in my place.

Thanking you in advance.

Justin-engineer

Aug 17, 2013
Manitoba- Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
messic said:
Hello friends,

I was refused the SPP visa for my proposed study in canada for the September 2013 intake. My friend recommended that I post my case here in this forum to get an answer as to why it happened and how can i put up a stronger case if i decide to reapply for the Jan '14 intake. Im from India btw.

Exact reason for my visa refusal:

Your proposed studies are not reasonable in light of one or more of your qualifications, previous studies, gap in studies, employment, level of establishment, language abilities, or your future prospects and plans.

So here is my background:

10th - 50% - 2006 completion
12th - 51% - 2008 completion (commerce stream)
Recent IELTS - 7.5 Overall
Medicals - DONE

My case is a little bit complicated cause after my 12th i went to Australia for diploma in computing @ MIBT Melbourne leading to 2nd year IT Degree from Deakin University (it was through a pathway program cause my 12th grades were not good enough for direct admission into university). I was not able to complete that course because I sort of lost interest due to the programming related subjects. Other subjects i scored Credits and Distinctions. After that, because of my lack of interest, I decided to change course and move to the media field but due to lack of trust from my parents i had to return back to india.

Since then i have a had a huge gap. I had done a foundation course (3 months) related to Film and TV production from a private institute in Mumbai. And i have managed to fill up the gaps with work experience letters related to the same field.

Now, i wished to go back abroad and complete my studies in more or less the same field (Media). So i applied to Durham College, Oshawa for Interactive Media Design 2yr Diploma Course. I got the offer, paid GIC and had taken an education loan so that there should not be any finance related problems in the application process. I also built up a very strong SOP stating as to why my past endeavours were not successful and throughly explained my future prospects and ambitions . Im going through an overseas education consultancy (agent), so they were there to assist me at every step and check through all documents which were to be submitted to the high commission.

After doing all of this, submitted the VISA application under SPP only to be presented with a refusal within 14 days. I have looked through these forums and have understood that this sort of thing happens quite a lot to many people. I thought (on a friends recommendation) I should put up my case up here and see what you all think about this particular predicament of mine.

Is it worth giving it another shot? Should I even bother reapplying? If yes, what would be your recommended changes or additions to my new application? Will it be easier if i go back to studying IT instead of Media? My friend himself has applied to go to canada in jan '14. He said I should try applying in the General Category instead of SPP (where i understand GIC is not mandatory). What do y'all think? How do I go about doing it right this time around.

My agent thinks me going back to Australia makes more sense and would be easier cause I have been there before and she thinks it would be easier to get a student visa, but to this point i have got no offers only a bunch of refusals from there. I still do have 2 active applications which im sure i can get (offers). Im in two minds at the moment. 2 options .. Either go for Australia (if i get an offer) or reapply for Canada (still have my doubts whether I can get VISA approved). I also do like the prospect of PR in Canada if i do decide i want to stay back later on.

Please advice. What would you do if you were in my place.

Thanking you in advance.
your case seems complicated. You have done 12th in commerce stream, then went on to further studies in IT field ( usually science stream student goes into this field ) and then shifted to media field (arts field ) !! This change in fields makes Visa officer doubt your intentions for studies.

You can reapply for some business diploma or accounting diploma in Canada because it makes much sense regarding your 12th commerce background. just wait for your application decision in Australia and then proceed for some other commerce related course in Canada.
But this is just my opinion !! think about it and choose wisely !!

messic

Oct 4, 2013
Justin-engineer said:
your case seems complicated. You have done 12th in commerce stream, then went on to further studies in IT field ( usually science stream student goes into this field ) and then shifted to media field (arts field ) !! This change in fields makes Visa officer doubt your intentions for studies.

You can reapply for some business diploma or accounting diploma in Canada because it makes much sense regarding your 12th commerce background. just wait for your application decision in Australia and then proceed for some other commerce related course in Canada.
But this is just my opinion !! think about it and choose wisely !!
Thank you for your reply. I know my issue is complicated.. I'm solely responsible for making it that way. I don't see myself going into commerce as I HAD to take it cause if low grades in 10th.. I'm open to going back into IT but I'm unsure if I will be able to ever understand coding. In my latest application I have submitted all media related supporting documents. Now even if I decide to turn back to IT, I have no way of constructively covering up the gap so that it makes sense to the VO.. Plus database between embassy's are shared from what I understand. If they open up my previous application file I'll be in a fix if I show something drastically different.

Justin-engineer

Aug 17, 2013
Manitoba- Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
messic said:
Thank you for your reply. I know my issue is complicated.. I'm solely responsible for making it that way. I don't see myself going into commerce as I HAD to take it cause if low grades in 10th.. I'm open to going back into IT but I'm unsure if I will be able to ever understand coding. In my latest application I have submitted all media related supporting documents. Now even if I decide to turn back to IT, I have no way of constructively covering up the gap so that it makes sense to the VO.. Plus database between embassy's are shared from what I understand. If they open up my previous application file I'll be in a fix if I show something drastically different.
I agree with you. What you can do now is enroll in some bachelors program in media or related field (in India only) and then apply for some other course in canada later. of course it will take years !!! but if you are in dire need to go abroad then try for U.K and some European countries, study some program there and then apply again for canada from there.

Don't go in IT field if you are bad at coding. Try for some business diploma in HR field. They have nothing much to do with commerce field.

Also take advice from some ICCRC certified immigration consultant. There is something like CAIPS where you can ask the visa officer for a detailed reason for rejection of your visa. Try that also.

and try getting admission in some universities in Canada in media or related field, apply for visa under general category again. Your case would be strong if you have a admission from a university (especially a reputed university ) !!
Hope this helps
Best of luck !!

messic

Oct 4, 2013
Justin-engineer said:
I agree with you. What you can do now is enroll in some bachelors program in media or related field (in India only) and then apply for some other course in canada later. of course it will take years !!! but if you are in dire need to go abroad then try for U.K and some European countries, study some program there and then apply again for canada from there.

Don't go in IT field if you are bad at coding. Try for some business diploma in HR field. They have nothing much to do with commerce field.

Also take advice from some ICCRC certified immigration consultant. There is something like CAIPS where you can ask the visa officer for a detailed reason for rejection of your visa. Try that also.

and try getting admission in some universities in Canada in media or related field, apply for visa under general category again. Your case would be strong if you have a admission from a university (especially a reputed university ) !!
Hope this helps
Best of luck !!
Thanks mate.. I will take your point under consideration. I will look into what I can do.. From what I understand, Cannadian universities require good % which I haven't got.. Anyway, let's see.. I'll speak with my agent and make an informed choice. Whether to stay (for now) or go immediately (if there is a sure possibility).. Cheers!

vasusood200

Oct 10, 2013
Amritsar,India
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-02-2014
IELTS Request
6.5 Bands
Med's Request
Pre-Medical
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
04-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
06-03-2014
hey bro..
please help me..i m really tensed as my future fully depend on it
I applied in mohawk college for International Business Management as i have done Bachelor of commerce (Professional) in May 2013
In ielts my score is 6.5 (R 6.5,W 6,L 8,S 6)
I applied for visa under SPP and it got rejected due to following reasons:

1. Length of proposed stay in Canada
2. Purpose of Visit
3. Limited Employment prospects in your country of residence
4. Your Current Employment Situation
5. Your personal assets and financial status

In other reasons they have mentioned that :

You have failed to demonstrate that you are established to a degree that will compel your return and your SR High School and University Marks Do not leave me believe that you will be a Successful student in Canada,
Therefore you do not comply with R179

please help me..i want to apply under general once again.and what proofs should i show embassy to help me get visa.

Blueveia

Star Member
Nov 1, 2013
@messic:
Did you had a Letter of Acceptance when you applied?

Also, I been doing alot of reading in this forums, and from other people experience that were in a similiar situation, things didn't turn out good when applying for a Study Permit. The main issue i see is that you are not following a commerce stream, i believe that the Immigration Officer checks you're last fully completed study program (in your case commerce program), and then compares it to what you are applying for, and if it's that much difference it has a huge impact on his decision.

I don't know why are you applying for study permit, if you already have that much work experience, wouldn't it be better for you to try and get a job offer from a Canadian company and applying for a Work Permit instead?

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You didn't mention which program you applied for. Anyway here I go;

Your profile is not complicated rather easy denial case. Indeed a logical progression is expected in your past study and the program you have opted. I don't understand how come your agent made you apply under SPP. Which college did you apply in and for what program? Did the college offer you SPP-LOA? what's the name of the consultancy you applied via?

Commerce to IT, IT to Media. Well really doesn't make much sense. However, I totally appreciate the fact that you are doing what you really wish to do. Now having said all that, IELTS is the only good thing in your file, As I have said earlier, do not know which program you applied for, the right choice for you should had been a program in Media basis your past experience.

3 Months of Diploma you have completed wouldn't have any credibility as I am assuming it's from some local institute with no recognition by UGC, AICTE, NCERT, NAAC or any other governing agency for that matter.

I am pretty sure you do not fall in SPP category because of the GAP you have and most prestigious colleges won't even issue you LOA such as Centennial for example. I also believe the consultant you have hired is as dumb as possibly one sitting in a small office with no practical knowledge, but I am quite optimistic that it's a female and a good looking one. Even if you do not answer the above questions, you need to first apply for CAIPS notes to figure out what VO really feels about your case (although it's a clear case of rejection, but it's still not a bad idea to understand what they think and accordingly prepare your file).

If you could answer the above mentioned questions, I may comment better, rest lets wait for others to comment.

messic

Oct 4, 2013
sabby2612 said:
You didn't mention which program you applied for. Anyway here I go;

Your profile is not complicated rather easy denial case. Indeed a logical progression is expected in your past study and the program you have opted. I don't understand how come your agent made you apply under SPP. Which college did you apply in and for what program? Did the college offer you SPP-LOA? what's the name of the consultancy you applied via?

Commerce to IT, IT to Media. Well really doesn't make much sense. However, I totally appreciate the fact that you are doing what you really wish to do. Now having said all that, IELTS is the only good thing in your file, As I have said earlier, do not know which program you applied for, the right choice for you should had been a program in Media basis your past experience.

3 Months of Diploma you have completed wouldn't have any credibility as I am assuming it's from some local institute with no recognition by UGC, AICTE, NCERT, NAAC or any other governing agency for that matter.

I am pretty sure you do not fall in SPP category because of the GAP you have and most prestigious colleges won't even issue you LOA such as Centennial for example. I also believe the consultant you have hired is as dumb as possibly one sitting in a small office with no practical knowledge, but I am quite optimistic that it's a female and a good looking one. Even if you do not answer the above questions, you need to first apply for CAIPS notes to figure out what VO really feels about your case (although it's a clear case of rejection, but it's still not a bad idea to understand what they think and accordingly prepare your file).

If you could answer the above mentioned questions, I may comment better, rest lets wait for others to comment.

hey mate.. really sorry.. i do not check this thread anymore.. you are right.., my 3 month diploma is from a pvt institute.. i got SPP LOA from Durham College (i applied here).. The course i applied for was Contemporary Media Design and i had applied through Edwise International, Mumbai. I had a spa loa from Humber as well but they had pissed me off because the admissions dept kept asking me to appear for an additional writing test just because i scored 5.5 in ielts writing module.. n the meantime i had to give a compulsory questionnaire online.. after i gave that, the course director got in touch with me cause i blew his mind away with my answers.. he got in touch with me via email and then i told him my predicament. he said he'll personally ask the admissions dept to give me and offer and asked me to come meet him when i start my course. i got the offer very next day hahaha...

as far as the agent who was handling my case.. its was a guy (sadly) but he has a hot assistant who assisted me when i was filing for visa XD.. That man is a fuckin idiot.. he did not tell me anything about General category and he told me about GIC 2 days before i was gonna file for visa.. i had been going to him since 4 friggin months and he never thought to mention anything about GIC till the last minute and that it is mandatory if filing under SPP.. I was really looking forward to Canada but now i have lost interest cause even one of my closest friends' had his visa rejected for the same exact reason as mine. He has a very consistent profile and was going for post grad, applied through general with full years' fees paid and GIC also paid.. still got rejection.. this seems like a luck by chance situation and i do not appreciate people playing around with my future. I don't leave anything to chance. I have seen deserving people get rejected and the non deserving ones who can't even speak english properly get visas'

You are right.., my profile looks like it was built for rejection but this is what i am and what i have done. I have currently applied for Australian visa under SVP (which i think after you pointing out is a bad decision) but hey, they have given me a visa once before and maybe, just maybe they might see the positives of my intent, plans and full disclosure... i hope they do... plus I'm told i might get a telephonic interview session with the VO cause my case is a wee bit strange :p.. at least here i know i can speak to him personally and tell him what he wants to know and convince him of my genuineness. i will surely update on what happens next.. if it doesn't work out then ill probably complete my graduation from here and then try again for masters in the future... no other go..

messic

Oct 4, 2013
Blueveia said:
@ messic:
Did you had a Letter of Acceptance when you applied?

Also, I been doing alot of reading in this forums, and from other people experience that were in a similiar situation, things didn't turn out good when applying for a Study Permit. The main issue i see is that you are not following a commerce stream, i believe that the Immigration Officer checks you're last fully completed study program (in your case commerce program), and then compares it to what you are applying for, and if it's that much difference it has a huge impact on his decision.

I don't know why are you applying for study permit, if you already have that much work experience, wouldn't it be better for you to try and get a job offer from a Canadian company and applying for a Work Permit instead?

my parents are also of the same opinion but then not being a graduate and venturing abroad is a huge risk.. and besides educational background is a strong factor at which employers look at and i don't think any international employer will risk giving me a job when he has no proof/ guarantee of my qualifications and skills.. not even employers in my home country will risk it... i have got good contacts where i am from so for now its easy for me to get employed but otherwise i don't think anyone would even agree to interview me for one lol...

Chitresh sharma

Dec 2, 2013
Hi everyone,

Guys i'm chitresh sharma i applied for student visa for januaru in take canada on 27 nov 13,file recieved by chc on 28 nov13 passport realesed by chc on 29nov 13. got rejected. please lemme knw other options, my qualifications are;
2005-08 Diploma in computer science
2008-11 degree in computer science
2011-13 SAP ABAP modoule.
ilets (R=5.5, W=5.5, L=8.5 S=7) overall 6.5
got admission in Information managment security in fanshawe collage london city one year course. deposited fee of 1 year 13000CAD GIC of 10000 CAD.
Only point that VO said is; Proposed program is not reasonable in the light of past studies,academic scores and language abilities.

My diploma with 55%
My BTECH with 65%
SAP ABAP with 76%

please tell me shud i go for GENERAL ?
I'm planning to change my college and cousre. Taking flemings college and WIRELESS INFORMATION NETWORKING.
please do reply on my gmail. chitreshpunjsharma@gmail.com
or wassap me on 9034109920 please need assistance.. god bless u all

messic

Oct 4, 2013
Hello fellas,

Im happy to inform you that i have been granted a student visa for 3 years in Australia (i have mentioned in a post above that i had applied for it after Canada rejection). I applied for Bachelors in Media @ LaTrobe University and after long long loooonnnggg time of nervous waiting, I've finally go it! I had to defer to June intake cause the visa processing was delayed.. It took 3 goddamn months!! Thats quarter of a year!! But as I said.. Full disclosure (even Canada rejection) and a solid SOP explaining my entire situation was enough. and the best part.. I got it without the VO conducting a Telephonic Interview :)

LaTrobe had rejected my student application at first saying that they did not think of me as a GTE (Genuine Temporary Entrant) due to the fact i had not completed my previous course in MIBT Deakin Uni, Australia. But because I and my agent were very persistent and provided convincing proof (i had got Distinctions in two subjects i had appeared for @ mibt ) turned their decision and they granted me an non-conditional Offer letter (in november). I also got an offer from RMIT for a similar course but I had already paid the fees (for LaTrobe) and applied for the visa in the 1st week of December. I had applied for the FEB 2014 intake. We were expecting the visa decision to come by mid Jan but it took so long.. I missed my Orientation and the course commencement due to this delay in processing. But it was too late so i deferred to the next intake and I was granted the visa 3 days after I did that.

So now I'm all set to leave in May. Im happy, relieved and relaxed. A big thank you to all the people who helped/ advised/ guided/ recommended various things in this thread. I really do appreciate it. I will definitely try again for Canada in future (if situation permits) as it is a wonderful country and i really do see myself living there. Once again, Thank you for all your help.. To the people who tried hijacking the thread (lol jk)., Hope y'all picked up some points from the people who have posted and tried to help. Sort out the negatives in your profile, be confident and try again.. I'm sure you will get yours too :)