Refused, Re-apply or Appeal?

tuyen

Oct 19, 2012
Tronna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MidDawn said:
Thanks Tuyen,

Given that we got married,and we will go to common law category,CIC requires atleast 1 straight/whole year of cohabitation which i think it very impossible to happen with the situation of my partner.
If you're married, then you won't fall under the requirements of common law. The common law category is for people who are living together but not married. So if you get married, your application will be as a married couple, and not as common law, which means there won't be any 12-month requirement to live together.

MidDawn

Star Member
Oct 4, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
20-06-2016
Med's Done....
27-06-2016
Passport Req..
11-10-2016
tuyen said:
If you're married, then you won't fall under the requirements of common law. The common law category is for people who are living together but not married. So if you get married, your application will be as a married couple, and not as common law, which means there won't be any 12-month requirement to live together.
Thanks Tuyen,

You sound right...i will discuss it with my partner...i am so grateful for all the responses...it helps a lot...:)

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
MidDawn said:
...here in the Philippines,same sex marriage is not legal,so there is no way that the Philippine law and the VO in Manila will recognize such marriage, more so,that we can apply for a common-law category.
The VO in Manila is a Canadian. On the few occasions that I have heard of a VO in a Canadian embassy who was not a Canadian, they are still working for Canada. The VO will recognize a same-sex marriage (as long as it was legal where it was done and legal in Canada), because that is the law in Canada.
If you do get married, you apply as a sponsored spouse, not under the common-law category. You do not have to have lived together for a year if you are married.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
canadianwoman said:
The VO in Manila is a Canadian. On the few occasions that I have heard of a VO in a Canadian embassy who was not a Canadian, they are still working for Canada. The VO will recognize a same-sex marriage (as long as it was legal where it was done and legal in Canada), because that is the law in Canada.
If you do get married, you apply as a sponsored spouse, not under the common-law category. You do not have to have lived together for a year if you are married.
While I agree that the visa office must follow Canadian law, I have noticed there are often subtle cultural biases between the visa offices. Manila is notorious for disliking anything but marriage. Last year I counseled a same sex couple going through FSW. They had gone to great lengths to document their common-law same-sex relationshp. The visa office refused to recognize it and removed the partner from the application.

I've seen a lot of 179 exclusions come out of Manila (pre-existing undeclared relationship, partner/spouse is excluded from the family class) and I've seen a number of declared pre-existing common-law relationships refused by Manila. Bottom line is that they really prefer marriage in Manila.

I wonder how many of the visa officers abroad are dual nationals?

MidDawn

Star Member
Oct 4, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
20-06-2016
Med's Done....
27-06-2016
Passport Req..
11-10-2016
computergeek said:
While I agree that the visa office must follow Canadian law, I have noticed there are often subtle cultural biases between the visa offices. Manila is notorious for disliking anything but marriage. Last year I counseled a same sex couple going through FSW. They had gone to great lengths to document their common-law same-sex relationshp. The visa office refused to recognize it and removed the partner from the application.

I've seen a lot of 179 exclusions come out of Manila (pre-existing undeclared relationship, partner/spouse is excluded from the family class) and I've seen a number of declared pre-existing common-law relationships refused by Manila. Bottom line is that they really prefer marriage in Manila.

Thanks Computergeek,

I totally agree with you,that's really my concern about getting married.even if we do,the marriage certificate that we can provide will most likely be a crap piece of paper or worst be an aggravating factor to refusal,it might give the VO an impression that is just only a marriage for convenience/for Canada immigration purposes only.this is my personal judgement though.but i am include this matter into discussion with my partner. Thanks really for the reply. Godspeed:)

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
computergeek said:

Manila also seems slightly biased towards cross cultural marriages between (white) Canadians and Filipinas. They seem way more accepting of Filipino-Filipina marriages, and I think it's very cultural.

ice45

Feb 21, 2013
MidDawn said:
Hello Computergeek,

Thanks for your reply,i truly appreciate it. We have a legal representative and he is Atty. Battista from Toronto, he has been our legal representative since from the beginning of our application and now that we got refused he told my partner to proceed with the appeal and my partner did file the appeal last November 2012.

As what you have mentioned,appeal case in Toronto will take 2-2.5 years to get a hearing date unless the case will go to ADR which is much quicker.I have a concern and i hope you can give your opinion about this..

My partner and i were thinking of dropping the appeal case and he will going to come here in the Philippines and we will do things that would establish our conjugal partnership like opening a joint bank account which we believe,we lack such in our first attempt that reached to refusal. Would it make more sense if we will go to that route? Or would it be much wiser to just continue the appeal?

Thank you and God bless us all.
Hi MidDawn, I'm sorry to hear your refusal but don't give up, you still have a shot. So you hired Atty. Battista's services for your case. I thought he's well known for same-sex sponsorship cases and have higher approval rates compared to other lawyers. It sounds like even if you hire a reputable lawyer like him for that case doesn't mean it's a sure win in the end. I have been contemplating on getting his services but now I'm confused if we ever have a shot with our case as it's also a complex one.

gsize

May 2, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009....denied Feb 2010.....appeal allowed (August 2012)..waiting for processing
Doc's Request.
04/04/2013
File Transfer...
30/01/2013
Med's Done....
04/2013 (second time)
Passport Req..
21/02, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
18/03/2014
LANDED..........
05/04/2014
please be aware....I was told the waiting time in Toronto was 12 -18 months. This was not true in my case. I had to wait 28 months to get my Hearing. I wish I knew that when I did the appeal. Perhaps, a new app. would have been better ?

In any event, most appeals are allowed ! Please check waiting times, and if they tell you 12-18 months- then they are not up to date !

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
I've made that point a number of times gsize - the appeal time in Toronto before IAD is insane, and is one reason I sometimes suggest people file inland - the "ability to appeal to IAD" is overrated when you must wait 2.5 years just for a hearing, especially since all you get then is a return back to CIC, complete with a reset clock.

Personally, I'd rather head to court. They have narrower grounds on which to decide BUT they are much faster and if the issue is a legal or procedural error they have subject matter jurisdiction.