+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refusal to the Work permit NEED HELP

CharlesNg

Jul 12, 2018
This letter refers to your application for a Work Permit.
Based on your application and accompanying documentation that you have provided, I have carefully considered all information and I am not satisfied that you meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations. Your application as requested is therefore refused.
[X] Foreign students in Canada are eligible for a work permit for post-graduation employment if they submit an application within 90 days of issuance of notification that they have successfully completed all of the requirements for their course of studies or program. As your application was not mailed within the prescribed period of time, it has been determined that you are not eligible for a work permit in this category.
[X] PLEASE NOTE: As per R222(1)(a), your status in Canada is valid until the expiry date listed on your document or 90 days after the day on which the permit holder completes their studies, whichever comes first.

I finished my last semester on December 17, 2017 and applied to graduate as soon as the marks were posted. In this case my graduation was approved on April 10, 2018. Two weeks later, I went online CIC apply for work permit.
But today I received an update regardless of the refusal of my WP.(Reason listed on the first three paragraph )

***1. I did not know my study permit will be invalid within 90 days and what if the university did not approve my graduation.
(I had no knowledge about restoring period beforehand until today talking to a CIC officer on the phone.)
2. I completed the requirements for the degree program on December 2017 does not mean I'm officially graduated ( as it approved on April 10 2018)

Last edited:

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
This letter refers to your application for a Work Permit.
Based on your application and accompanying documentation that you have provided, I have carefully considered all information and I am not satisfied that you meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations. Your application as requested is therefore refused.
[X] Foreign students in Canada are eligible for a work permit for post-graduation employment if they submit an application within 90 days of issuance of notification that they have successfully completed all of the requirements for their course of studies or program. As your application was not mailed within the prescribed period of time, it has been determined that you are not eligible for a work permit in this category.
[X] PLEASE NOTE: As per R222(1)(a), your status in Canada is valid until the expiry date listed on your document or 90 days after the day on which the permit holder completes their studies, whichever comes first.

I finished my last semester on December 17, 2017 and applied to graduate as soon as the marks were posted. In this case my graduation was approved on April 10, 2018. Two weeks later, I went online CIC apply for work permit.
But today I received an update regardless of the refusal of my WP.(Reason listed on the first three paragraph )

***1. I did not know my study permit will be invalid within 90 days and what if the university did not approve my graduation.
(I had no knowledge about restoring period beforehand until today talking to a CIC officer on the phone.)
2. I completed the requirements for the degree program on December 2017 does not mean I'm officially graduated ( as it approved on April 10 2018)
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5580-applying-work-permit-student-guide.html

When should I submit my application?
You must submit your application for a work permit within 90 days, from either the date your final marks are issued or when you receive a formal written notification of graduation from the institution, whichever comes first, indicating that you have met the requirements of your program of study. Your study permit must continue to be valid when you submit your application for a work permit.

Note: If you have other evidence that you have successfully completed your program (such as a final transcript or a letter from the institution), you may apply for your work permit before you receive your formal notification of graduation.

Reactions: jasz_blr

CharlesNg

Jul 12, 2018
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5580-applying-work-permit-student-guide.html

When should I submit my application?
You must submit your application for a work permit within 90 days, from either the date your final marks are issued or when you receive a formal written notification of graduation from the institution, whichever comes first, indicating that you have met the requirements of your program of study. Your study permit must continue to be valid when you submit your application for a work permit.

Note: If you have other evidence that you have successfully completed your program (such as a final transcript or a letter from the institution), you may apply for your work permit before you receive your formal notification of graduation.
My final transcript appears I completed on December 2017

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Which school is this? 4 month seems too long to get graduation confirmation, can it normally issue completion letters earlier than that? A completion letter is not necessarily your graduation cert/diploma.

Unfortunately I dont think you have any good options at this point, too late to anything if my math is right. Either leaving or getting a lawyer and see what he says which could be costly but doesn't guarantee anything.

Reactions: scylla

CharlesNg

Jul 12, 2018
Which school is this? 4 month seems too long to get graduation confirmation, can it normally issue completion letters earlier than that? A completion letter is not necessarily your graduation cert/diploma.

Unfortunately I dont think you have any good options at this point, too late to anything if my math is right. Either leaving or getting a lawyer and see what he says which could be costly but doesn't guarantee anything.
Thompson Riivers University BC publicly funded, and the deadline for applying graduation is on March 31,2018 then I noticed my graduation approval is on April 10, 2018 from school intranet where I won’tget any notice unless you login and check for regular basis.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Talk to your schools international office, I believe there is a completion letter you could have gotten after finishing which you use to apply with.

Else try getting in touch with your MP and explain the confusion clearly, MPs have a direct channel to immigration and sometimes can get application re-considered.

I believe technically notification posted on intranet is still notification you have the responsibility to check regularly so you were probably denied correctly but I can see the confusion, what did your classmates do?

CharlesNg

Jul 12, 2018
Bro.. same here. Best is apply for another short program or take LMIA
Before applying for another program, Do I have to reapply for study permit? Processing time will be the same from my country and Canada. Must I leave Canada to do so?

CharlesNg

Jul 12, 2018
Talk to your schools international office, I believe there is a completion letter you could have gotten after finishing which you use to apply with.

Else try getting in touch with your MP and explain the confusion clearly, MPs have a direct channel to immigration and sometimes can get application re-considered.

I believe technically notification posted on intranet is still notification you have the responsibility to check regularly so you were probably denied correctly but I can see the confusion, what did your classmates do?
I received my credential on July 9,2018 which I supposed to get it on June 7,2018 due to technical error.
I met one of the international officer who told me IRCC counted the as my credential appear Dec, 2017.
Her suggestion is that apply for post baccalaureate program but doubting if my current study permit legit and told me she will look into it and have an answer on Tuesday July 17,2018.

Last edited:

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
The one I am holding is November 30, 2018. What do you mean by taking LMIA
My suggestion for you is to take a another program because LMIA is very difficult to get and you will first need to find a employer who is willing to help you apply for it. Unfortunately, you applied for PGWP too late so your only option if you want to continuing staying in Canada is going back to school again.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
The problem is study permit expires 90 days post course completion no matter the date on the permit, at least thats what it says online.
So he might be past both sp expiration date AND past the 90 days allowed to file for restoration.

Reactions: scylla

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
Unless you have a letterhead confirmation letter and/or you transcripts, an online screenshot will not prove anything to the CIC unfortunately. As you applied late as well, you were rightfully rejected i'm afraid.

CharlesNg

Jul 12, 2018
My suggestion for you is to take a another program because LMIA is very difficult to get and you will first need to find a employer who is willing to help you apply for it. Unfortunately, you applied for PGWP too late so your only option if you want to continuing staying in Canada is going back to school again.
I am unlikely going back to school and for now I have a job offer and the employer is willing to help.
CIC officer suggested that I'm to going back home apply for a new work permit and my employer is okay with that too.