+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refund from cape breton university

saihere

Jun 11, 2024
Hi, i applied to cape breton university in nova scotia and paid the fees and i also got my visa but due to recent news regarding changes in PGWP i would like to withdraw but the schools policy is 100 percent of tution fees is non refundable if visa is issued. How do i deal with this situation? Many sources from canada like toronto star mentioned that pgwp changes are going to happen and the government is thinking of implementing these changes to existing students as well. In light of this i would like to not come to canada. Please help me

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi, i applied to cape breton university in nova scotia and paid the fees and i also got my visa but due to recent news regarding changes in PGWP i would like to withdraw but the schools policy is 100 percent of tution fees is non refundable if visa is issued. How do i deal with this situation? Many sources from canada like toronto star mentioned that pgwp changes are going to happen and the government is thinking of implementing these changes to existing students as well. In light of this i would like to not come to canada. Please help me
What are changes to PGWP that have changed your mind? Cannot get refund based on changes that may come. Talk to CBU.

saihere

Jun 11, 2024
The government is tightening pgwp for international students. Only those who graduate from programs that are relevant to occupations listed in shortage list will be allowed to get pgwp and they are planning on imposing these changes on existing students and also on those who already recieved their study visa. With so much uncertainty i dont want to continue with this because when i applied for study visa i wasnt aware of such changes

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
The government is tightening pgwp for international students. Only those who graduate from programs that are relevant to occupations listed in shortage list will be allowed to get pgwp and they are planning on imposing these changes on existing students and also on those who already recieved their study visa. With so much uncertainty i dont want to continue with this because when i applied for study visa i wasnt aware of such changes
When did the government announce this? You are speculating but this has nothing to do with your refund. This issue is with CBU and speculation is not relevant to your argument.

saihere

Jun 11, 2024
They haven't yet but its been confirmed by toronto star and other newspapers. Any way i think its not fair for international students to suffer like this especially since we have already paid for everything. The university should put out an official notice because its the least They can do. In the article the ircc asked provinces whether these changes should be applicable to existing students as well or upcoming students. That questionnaire caused a lot of panic

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
They haven't yet but its been confirmed by toronto star and other newspapers. Any way i think its not fair for international students to suffer like this especially since we have already paid for everything. The university should put out an official notice because its the least They can do. In the article the ircc asked provinces whether these changes should be applicable to existing students as well or upcoming students. That questionnaire caused a lot of panic
Talk to CBU. Why would schools put out a notice based on newspaper articles? Until IRCC puts out an announcement it is all speculation. Universities will not put out a press release & shouldn’t until official announcement. What questionnaire?

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
When did the government announce this? You are speculating but this has nothing to do with your refund. This issue is with CBU and speculation is not relevant to your argument.
There was a news conference on this a few days ago or maybe last week. The details aren't there yet but the government is certainly signaling that a big change is being considered.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
There was a news conference on this a few days ago or maybe last week. The details aren't there yet but the government is certainly signaling that a big change is being considered.
Agree. But no official announcement and OP wants universities like CBU to have official releases responding to it. Universities will not until a there is an official announcement. OP’s issue is with CBU and getting a refund now that OP has approved study permit.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Agree. But no official announcement and OP wants universities like CBU to have official releases responding to it. Universities will not until a there is an official announcement. OP’s issue is with CBU and getting a refund now that OP has approved study permit.
Agree with this. School's normal refund policies apply.

Reactions: canuck78

forevermore76

May 19, 2024
It's unusual but it certainly looks like is their policy. Consider it a sunk cost and move on as there's not much you can do unless you hire an attorney and sue them.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The primary goal of the school is to provide education to its students so whether the students can then get a WP is irrelevant to them. You should certainly try but they accepted you while not accepting someone else so not sure how much success you will have.