+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

kelepirci

Star Member
Jan 22, 2020
Hi everyone,plesse respond who knows.

One of my friend need urgent to travel. But his travel document is expired. Now he is PR.
He wants to renew his RTD.
Is Ottawa office open? He wanst to drive there and give his documents to renew it?
Who recently did it. Please share your opinions.
Thanks in advance.
Ottawa office is currently closed because of COVID 19. I have got this information directly from a personal from Ottawa office. (They are working remotely I think)

Reactions: Ratmir

Farishta Karimi

Sep 21, 2020
First check following website about urgent travel document application:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/passport.html#travel-document

Then:
Get urgent refugee travel document or certificate of identity services
Fill out the IRCC Web form:
  • select the category for a certificate of identity or a refugee travel document
  • include your travel date
  • include the reason you need urgent services
Do not forget to include the explenation letter from your mother's doctor. And try to explain your reason to be with your mother clearly.

After 3 to 5 business day IRCC will contact you if they deem your situation is urgent and refer your case to urgent travel document application department. Someone from travel document department will be contacting you about your application and will ask to mail the application package. From there it is all regular RTD application process.

It may take more then a week to process your RTD application and another week to receive your RTD.
Thank you for the detailed answer. I submitted the inquiry via IRCC webform and attached the doctor's letter. I received a call from Travel document department. They asked me to send my document by mail. However, they also provided me with a fax number and said that I should fax something so that they can find my application among the many applications they receive. I couldn't get what I am supposed to fax? I asked again, and they explained again, but I still couldn't get. So I just said okay out of embarrassment. They mentioned something about tracking number. I still haven't mailed my documents (although it's ready), coz I want to confirm what I have to fax then? Can you please tell me what I should do?

Reactions: Mano1110786

Mano1110786

Oct 25, 2019
Thank you for the detailed answer. I submitted the inquiry via IRCC webform and attached the doctor's letter. I received a call from Travel document department. They asked me to send my document by mail. However, they also provided me with a fax number and said that I should fax something so that they can find my application among the many applications they receive. I couldn't get what I am supposed to fax? I asked again, and they explained again, but I still couldn't get. So I just said okay out of embarrassment. They mentioned something about tracking number. I still haven't mailed my documents (although it's ready), coz I want to confirm what I have to fax then? Can you please tell me what I should do?
Can you please tell me that is the doctors note about you ???? Or any family member that you want to visit?? Which country you want to go???

Andy85_

Star Member
Jul 28, 2020
Hi guys,

As a refugee fleeing your country, can you go back to visit your country after you get Canadian citizenship? asking for a friend.

kelepirci

Star Member
Jan 22, 2020
When you application is ready with all the supporting document, take them to DHL, UPS or FedEx and send it to following address:
Passport office (Certificate of Identity Section)
Place du Centre, Commercial Level 2
200 Promenade du Portage
Gatineau, QC J8X 4B7
Canada

If you plan to use Canada Post send it to following address:
OSC PPT-COI
PO BOX 8783 STN T CSC
OTTAWA ON K1G 5G8
Ask Canada Post employee to send it express and with tracking number.

After the currier company or Canada Post took your package they will give you the tracking number.

Fax the paper that has the tracking number on it.

Basically they are asking for package tracking number.

Reactions: Mano1110786

kelepirci

Star Member
Jan 22, 2020
Hi guys,

As a refugee fleeing your country, can you go back to visit your country after you get Canadian citizenship? asking for a friend.
Technically you can go back to your country. But it is still little risky because Canada may accept as misrepresentation. This is very controversial subject and it is very hard to get an answer.

Reactions: Andy85_

Farishta Karimi

Sep 21, 2020
When you application is ready with all the supporting document, take them to DHL, UPS or FedEx and send it to following address:
200 Promenade du Portage
Gatineau, QC J8X 4B7
Canada

OSC PPT-COI
PO BOX 8783 STN T CSC
OTTAWA ON K1G 5G8

After the currier company or Canada Post took your package they will give you the tracking number.

Oh, you are a life saver. This is exactly what they told me to do, but I couldn't understand it then.
I am going to do it first thing in the morning tomorrow. Many thanks for explaining it clearly.

Farishta Karimi

Sep 21, 2020
Can you please tell me that is the doctors note about you ???? Or any family member that you want to visit?? Which country you want to go???
The doctor note was about my mom who is hospitalized in Pakistan. I am from Afghanistan. The doctor mentioned in the letter that my mom is hospitalised and needs to see me. I wrote another letter stating I have to visit mom to take care of her, and attached doctors note and my mother's medical reports as a reference. I hope they will accept to process my RTD as my mom is very ill.

Farishta Karimi

Sep 21, 2020
200 Promenade du Portage
Gatineau, QC J8X 4B7
Canada

OSC PPT-COI
PO BOX 8783 STN T CSC
OTTAWA ON K1G 5G8

One last question. In the fax, what else should I include apart from the tracking number? Like should I also add a letter stating its for urgent travel document in the fax?

Armaani

Star Member
Feb 20, 2019
One last question. In the fax, what else should I include apart from the tracking number? Like should I also add a letter stating its for urgent travel document in the fax?
Salam Farishta jan, hope your mom getting well soon! I would attach an explanation in the fax including your full name and address and your application number with the copy of the tracking number for the application sent by mail!

kelepirci

Star Member
Jan 22, 2020
Write a letter that includes following:
- Your Name Last Name
- Date of Birth
- UCI
- Company name used to send application package
- Tracking number

And do not forget to include your original two pieces of ID and your notice of decision. These must be the original ones. They will be returned to you after your application.

Mano1110786

Oct 25, 2019
200 Promenade du Portage
Gatineau, QC J8X 4B7
Canada

OSC PPT-COI
PO BOX 8783 STN T CSC
OTTAWA ON K1G 5G8

Why there are separate addresses for Canada post n fedex

Mano1110786

Oct 25, 2019
Write a letter that includes following:
- Your Name Last Name
- Date of Birth
- UCI
- Company name used to send application package
- Tracking number

And do not forget to include your original two pieces of ID and your notice of decision. These must be the original ones. They will be returned to you after your application.
I’m sending my RTD application , I am sending my PR card and copy of driving license .. is that okay
I still want to send it urgently.. what should I do