+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee status in USA, can apply for Canada supervise

smily_k

Sep 22, 2023
I am a Canadian citizen, My mom (55 year old) has refugee status in the USA. She has a valid passport and work permit in the USA. Can I apply for her Supervisor or PR for Canada? Kindly suggest me. Thanks

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am a Canadian citizen, My mom (55 year old) has refugee status in the USA. She has a valid passport and work permit in the USA. Can I apply for her Supervisor or PR for Canada? Kindly suggest me. Thanks
You can certainly sponsor your mother for PR if you meet the income requirements and once you are selected as a sponsor out of one of the parent / grandparent sponsorship lotteries. Her status in the US will not be an issue for getting PR approved.

The super visa is more complicated since it is only a temporary visa. Most likely your mother would be refused based on her status in the US. However you could certainly try to apply.

In both applications, make sure you are 100% honest about your mother's immigration history, the refugee claim, and status in the US.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
When you ask about applying for PR, you submitted her profile in 2020 and are hoping for selection in the 2023 lottery?

smily_k

Sep 22, 2023
You can certainly sponsor your mother for PR if you meet the income requirements and once you are selected as a sponsor out of one of the parent / grandparent sponsorship lotteries. Her status in the US will not be an issue for getting PR approved.

The super visa is more complicated since it is only a temporary visa. Most likely your mother would be refused based on her status in the US. However you could certainly try to apply.

In both applications, make sure you are 100% honest about your mother's immigration history, the refugee claim, and status in the US.

I am looking to apply for her super visa. any other option has then please suggest me.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am looking to apply for her super visa. any other option has then please suggest me.
You can certainly try applying for the super visa. Again, the chances of refusal will be very high but you can certainly try.

The only option available where her status in the US will not be an issuing is sponsoring her for PR through the parent / grandparent sponsorship program - or alternatively having her apply for PR on her own (assuming she qualifies and can be selected) through an economic immigration program like Express Entry.

Good luck and hope this helps.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
How long has she had refugee status? Does she have a green card or even US citizenship that would help a lot. Is she working? Own a home? Have a good amount of savings, etc. All of these things may help her chances of getting a supervisa. Unfortunately you may have to wait until you qualify for PGP and the EOI opens again and get selected. That could easily be 10+ years.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
How long has she had refugee status? Does she have a green card or even US citizenship that would help a lot. Is she working? Own a home? Have a good amount of savings, etc. All of these things may help her chances of getting a supervisa. Unfortunately you may have to wait until you qualify for PGP and the EOI opens again and get selected. That could easily be 10+ years.
Per the OP's post, she's on a work permit in the US so would not be a green card holder or citizen yet.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Per the OP's post, she's on a work permit in the US so would not be a green card holder or citizen yet.
Missed that. Seems odd that if approved for asylum they are still on a work permit. Maybe the approval is very recent because after 1 year you qualify for a percent resident card

smily_k

Sep 22, 2023
You can certainly try applying for the super visa. Again, the chances of refusal will be very high but you can certainly try.

The only option available where her status in the US will not be an issuing is sponsoring her for PR through the parent / grandparent sponsorship program - or alternatively having her apply for PR on her own (assuming she qualifies and can be selected) through an economic immigration program like Express Entry.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Thanks