+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Claim

Rondke91

Oct 5, 2024
You wouldn’t be eligible for EI if you stopped working because your WP expired and there will be a period where you are not legally able to work in Canada. You have to be legally entitled to work in Canada to claim EI.
EI is not sufficient for surviving these days need to extra hours to pay off mortgage however interest rates goes up so we can’t pay mortgage anymore I would sell my house next month

ref19to22

May 18, 2022
You wouldn’t be eligible for EI if you stopped working because your WP expired and there will be a period where you are not legally able to work in Canada. You have to be legally entitled to work in Canada to claim EI.
yes, that is why I specified in my comment that eligibility for EI is dependent on ones status as OP didn't specify under what circumstance they are waiting for a work permit.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
yes, that is why I specified in my comment that eligibility for EI is dependent on ones status as OP didn't specify under what circumstance they are waiting for a work permit.
They want to claim asylum because their WP is expiring so there will be a period where they don’t qualify to work so wouldn’t qualify for EI.