+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee claim together with my common law partner

mmimosa

Oct 12, 2024
My common-law partner and I came to Canada in December 2023 on study permits. Due to the ongoing political situation in our home country, we chose to continue our education here, we didn't have plan to apply refugee at first. However, because of a new conscription law that came out around February in our country, we decided not to return. Additionally, we are a lesbian couple, which is illegal in our home country. Since arriving in Canada, we have felt a sense of freedom to love and be loved by each other.

In summary, due to the current political situation, the new conscription law, and our sexual orientation, we have decided to apply for refugee status in Canada. However, we are uncertain whether we should apply separately or together as a common-law couple. We have been living together prior to our arrival in Canada, where we have pretended to be close friends in front of others. Here, we get to live as our true identity. We arrived together, live together, and even attend the same major in school.

What are your thoughts on our application? Should we apply for refugee status individually or together? Which option is likely to give us a better chance of success?