+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refuge status denied many years ago. Now I have job offer.

ShonHo

Aug 24, 2024
Hi everyone. Back in 2007 I have applied for a refugee status at Canadian border while having US student visa. My application got denied and I was told I’m not eligible for any Canadian visas for five years. After that I’ve graduated my BA in US and legally left the US in 2014. Since then I’ve been to UK, lived in Europe and UAE, but never really returned to my home country. I have a work offer from Canada now. I’m wondering if my refugee refusal in 2007 will affect negatively my work visa application now. Thank you in advance.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi everyone. Back in 2007 I have applied for a refugee status at Canadian border while having US student visa. My application got denied and I was told I’m not eligible for any Canadian visas for five years. After that I’ve graduated my BA in US and legally left the US in 2014. Since then I’ve been to UK, lived in Europe and UAE, but never really returned to my home country. I have a work offer from Canada now. I’m wondering if my refugee refusal in 2007 will affect negatively my work visa application now. Thank you in advance.
It may but you must declare the refusal. Fortunately you have an approved LMIA. Assume you have ECA, IELTS and work experience to prove you can do the job.

Reactions: ShonHo

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The big issue is you still don’t have strong ties to your home country which is typically needed for any form of temporary visa/permit. What has been your status in all the other countries you lived in? What NOC? Much higher chances of approval in a few niche NOCs that are in very high demand in Canada like nursing for example.

ShonHo

Aug 24, 2024
I did my masters in Europe then worked for four years in UAE. Came back to my home country and was traveling forth and back to US. I’m a special need educator.

The big issue is you still don’t have strong ties to your home country which is typically needed for any form of temporary visa/permit. What has been your status in all the other countries you lived in? What NOC? Much higher chances of approval in a few niche NOCs that are in very high demand in Canada like nursing for example.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I did my masters in Europe then worked for four years in UAE. Came back to my home country and was traveling forth and back to US. I’m a special need educator.
Pretty shocked you’ve been able to travel to the US given the asylum claim attempt. Nobody can say whether it will be an issue.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
It could

You attempted once got denied , sent back to the USA

Who is too say you won’t try again ?