+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Received COPR but..

runningfree

Apr 3, 2012
a little confused. My wife applied outland but we recently moved to Canada to wait out the rest of the process (I notified the office about this). We received a COPR today (yes!!!) with places for the Immigration Officer to sign, flight No, etc...basically all the information inside the package assumes we are still out of country...which would be fine if we weren't already in Canada! The forms inclosed state that PR status cannot be acquired in Canada, instead we must acquire it from abroad (border crossing, airport). Do we actually have to leave the country and come back in or is their another way around this?

MSP2YYZ

Star Member
Apr 17, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Seattle
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-03-2011
Doc's Request.
08-10-2011
Nomination.....
n/a
AOR Received.
11/01/12
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Med's Request
11-01-2012
Med's Done....
30-01-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-12-2012
LANDED..........
16-12-2012
If you are close to a border, the fastest way is to cross the border and come right back. You could also make an appointment at your local CIC office to complete the landing. Depending on how busy they are, this could take a little (or a lot) longer.

Creampop

Jun 15, 2012
Waterloo ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo closed > Ottawa > Finalized in LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 23rd, 2012
Doc's Request.
RPRF-September 14th, 2012
File Transfer...
7/23/12 > Ottawa 10/9/12 > LA
Med's Done....
April 10th, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
October 9th, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR issued Oct. 29, 2012 DM November 6th, 2012
LANDED..........
November 23rd, 2012
runningfree said:
Do we actually have to leave the country and come back in or is their another way around this?
sometimes it can take awhile to get a landing interview as outland applicants are not first priority most people who have said they called were told 6 to 8 weeks, like stated above flag poling is the faster option... when you get to the US side of the border just tell them you are doing a landing they will send you into US immigration you will sign a paper saying you do not wish to enter the US and drive back to the Canadian border and they will sign it and go over everything with you there. Congrats! and Good Luck with which ever route you choose!

tahsinmohammad

Sep 1, 2012
Category........
NOC Code......
Citizenship
runningfree said:
a little confused. My wife applied outland but we recently moved to Canada to wait out the rest of the process (I notified the office about this). We received a COPR today (yes!!!) with places for the Immigration Officer to sign, flight No, etc...basically all the information inside the package assumes we are still out of country...which would be fine if we weren't already in Canada! The forms inclosed state that PR status cannot be acquired in Canada, instead we must acquire it from abroad (border crossing, airport). Do we actually have to leave the country and come back in or is their another way around this?
As suggested by Creampop,the easy way is to cross the US/Canada border.If you dont have US visa its not a problem.Just let the officer know that you have to Land As Permanent Resident back in Canada and he will guide you from where you have to take U-turn back into Canada border on the bridge...

I did the same thing when I received my PR and I was already in Canada on Student Visa.I had no US Visa and told the officer that I have to get back and land as PR in Canada.He followed my car like 150 meters and removed a barricade at one point and told me to take U-turn back into Canada.Rest the Canadian Officer will take care and do the paper work.I crossed Niagara border for information.....Good luck