+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Received confirmation of PR application approved but need to travel outside of Canada in 2 weeks.

newbs

Dec 2, 2022
I am CEC inland and got confirmation that my PR application has been approved yesterday. While it's such a relief, I need to travel to the US in two weeks and I know it is not enough time to obtain my PR card and it is to my understanding that once I am confirmed as a PR I cannot travel back to Canada by plane without a PR card and my work permit/TRV becomes invalid.

My consultant has advised that I do not reply to the PR confirmation email to move to COPR step and wait till I come back from my trip to reply and move to the COPR step since I'm only travelling for a few days. I was advised to come back to Canada with my work permit and TRV. It says that I have 30 days to reply to the PR confirmation email.

Has anyone had experience with this before and can advise? I am afraid that this may jeopardize my PR and I also don't want to encounter any issues when I come back to Canada if I decide to leave.

abhishek93

Star Member
May 5, 2017
I am CEC inland and got confirmation that my PR application has been approved yesterday. While it's such a relief, I need to travel to the US in two weeks and I know it is not enough time to obtain my PR card and it is to my understanding that once I am confirmed as a PR I cannot travel back to Canada by plane without a PR card and my work permit/TRV becomes invalid.

My consultant has advised that I do not reply to the PR confirmation email to move to COPR step and wait till I come back from my trip to reply and move to the COPR step since I'm only travelling for a few days. I was advised to come back to Canada with my work permit and TRV. It says that I have 30 days to reply to the PR confirmation email.

Has anyone had experience with this before and can advise? I am afraid that this may jeopardize my PR and I also don't want to encounter any issues when I come back to Canada if I decide to leave.
Congratulations on the approval!

We experienced a similar situation last year. IMO, there are two options:
  1. What your consultant suggested. If you can come back within the 30-day deadline, you can reply the email after getting back. Your current status is valid until the COPR is generated.
  2. Reply to email now and hope you get your COPR before travelling to the US. You can use your COPR to return using any land crossing (PR card not required).

newbs

Dec 2, 2022
Congratulations on the approval!

We experienced a similar situation last year. IMO, there are two options:
  1. What your consultant suggested. If you can come back within the 30-day deadline, you can reply the email after getting back. Your current status is valid until the COPR is generated.
  2. Reply to email now and hope you get your COPR before travelling to the US. You can use your COPR to return using any land crossing (PR card not required).
Thank you!

Do you by any chance know where I can find more info about the 30 day deadline? I've been seeing conflicting information about confirming presence in Canada within 7 days and haven't really seen in writing about the 30 day deadline.

COPR is unfortunately not an option as I've already booked my departing and arriving itinerary which will be by plane. I'm thinking of replying to the initial PR confirmation email with my information and confirming that I am in Canada but will need to travel and will therefore need to delay the PR portal process for when I'm back and providing them with a date. Any thoughts on this?

abhishek93

Star Member
May 5, 2017
Thank you!

Do you by any chance know where I can find more info about the 30 day deadline? I've been seeing conflicting information about confirming presence in Canada within 7 days and haven't really seen in writing about the 30 day deadline.
By 30 day deadline, I meant the time given to you to respond to the PR confirmation email. Earlier you mentioned that you were given 30 days. In our case, we were asked to respond "as soon as possible" and no specific day limit was given.

COPR is unfortunately not an option as I've already booked my departing and arriving itinerary which will be by plane. I'm thinking of replying to the initial PR confirmation email with my information and confirming that I am in Canada but will need to travel and will therefore need to delay the PR portal process for when I'm back and providing them with a date. Any thoughts on this?
Are you sure if the concerning IRCC officer will read your travel-related note in time for someone not to process your COPR while you are in the US?

newbs

Dec 2, 2022
My consultant has gotten back to me and is now saying that my status is now changed to PR and I can't travel. This is confusing as I'm seeing conflicting information here and seeing this directly from people who have experienced the same situation.

The 30-day was mentioned by my consultant but I couldn't find it anywhere, this is why I was confused. I got some good insight from this post: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/pr-approved-through-new-pr-confirmation-portal-while-travelling.723180/page-4#post-10290472 and was thinking of doing the same.

Could you elaborate more on this: "Are you sure if the concerning IRCC officer will read your travel-related note in time for someone not to process your COPR while you are in the US?". Based on the information that I've read, as long as I do not sign into the portal and submit further information there the COPR will not be issued, but may this be wrong information?

jacko1995

Jun 2, 2021
Hello,
Congrats on the approval. I don't have an answer for your question unfortunately, but wish you good luck!
What's your timeline for your CEC application please?

newbs

Dec 2, 2022
Hello,
Congrats on the approval. I don't have an answer for your question unfortunately, but wish you good luck!
What's your timeline for your CEC application please?
Hey, thanks!

I don't have full details as my profile was managed by a consultant but I received AOR Aug 18 and had previously given biometrics and did upfront medical. Around 2nd week of October I submitted additional documents regarding personal information and was informed that my application was approved on Dec 1.

It seems like things are starting to get moving based off some other threads that I've been reading as well so hang on and good luck!

Reactions: jacko1995

jacko1995

Jun 2, 2021
Hey, thanks!

I don't have full details as my profile was managed by a consultant but I received AOR Aug 18 and had previously given biometrics and did upfront medical. Around 2nd week of October I submitted additional documents regarding personal information and was informed that my application was approved on Dec 1.

It seems like things are starting to get moving based off some other threads that I've been reading as well so hang on and good luck!
Thanks for the quick response! so I understand you submitted your application during August?
That's pretty fast, gives us some hope for this process :)